Tell Me Again Why....?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BananaE29

Reaction score
I know I've read somewhere on here before the reasoning behind this. Or maybe I just read that it happens, but I've never experienced it before now. Why do Europeans sleep on top of the blankets instead of between the sheets? It doesn't make any sense to me. Surely they know that blankets are not washed after every use, but sheets are?

Europeans sleep between the sheets, but the standard way they make their bed in Europe in the morning is to fold over the cover with the top sheet. If you think of it like a sandwich cut in half, they lay the top half over the other top half.
The only time they don't seem to use the covers is when it's too hot and they don't understand humidity at all.
Could this be specific to one particular country? I get guest from all over western Europe and they are all basically the same in how they make the bed. (Different at breakfast, though.)

I've spent a lot of time staying in the homes of Swedish friends. They only put one sheet on the bed, a bottom sheet. On top they have a duvet inside a duvet cover, so the cover acts as a top sheet. On laundry day they wash the bottom sheet and the duvet cover. Being Swedes, they often also take down all the curtains from the windows and wash those too!
Adult Swedes generally know that in hotels in the rest of the world there are generally 2 sheets to sleep between, but I've had Swedish kids/teenagers who have never seen 2 sheets on a bed, so they pull back the blanket or bed spread and crawl in on top of the top sheet, thinking it's the only sheet.

I also found most Europeans sleep with down duvets . As a result it is bottom sheet then duvet.. Or some times I found it bottom sheet on mattress, then on top and at the middle of bed the comfort(duvet) folded in half sitting on top of bed .
The duvet is always covered in an encasement that is like a sheet cover. that gets washed along side the bottom sheet and pillow case. I make my duvets the same way. Bottom sheet then lay the duvet on top. So all in all I have one sheet and the covered duvet.

Europeans sleep between the sheets, but the standard way they make their bed in Europe in the morning is to fold over the cover with the top sheet. If you think of it like a sandwich cut in half, they lay the top half over the other top half.
The only time they don't seem to use the covers is when it's too hot and they don't understand humidity at all.
Could this be specific to one particular country? I get guest from all over western Europe and they are all basically the same in how they make the bed. (Different at breakfast, though.).
I thought it might be the heat & humidity, but there is an A/C unit five feet from them (I showed them how it worked to be sure they knew), and if you're hot, why not kick the blankets off? Instead of laying on a cool, crisp sheet, you lay on top of a fuzzy, warm blanket? This couple is from Wales, so I don't know if this tradition is country specific.

I've spent a lot of time staying in the homes of Swedish friends. They only put one sheet on the bed, a bottom sheet. On top they have a duvet inside a duvet cover, so the cover acts as a top sheet. On laundry day they wash the bottom sheet and the duvet cover. Being Swedes, they often also take down all the curtains from the windows and wash those too!
Adult Swedes generally know that in hotels in the rest of the world there are generally 2 sheets to sleep between, but I've had Swedish kids/teenagers who have never seen 2 sheets on a bed, so they pull back the blanket or bed spread and crawl in on top of the top sheet, thinking it's the only sheet..
Do you suppose Innkeepers there do it the same way? I can't imagine putting my comforters back in those duvet covers every single time I wash sheets. It takes me close to 30 minutes to get them in there so they look nice.

I've traveled in Wales and where I stayed they had 2 sheets and a blanket like in America.
Some people sleep on a blanket in winter because it's warmer than a bottom sheet.
Only place I've traveled where they did it like the Swedes, where you sleep between a covered duvet and a bottom sheet, was China.
I wash my duvet covers after every guest. Takes me about 2 minutes to stuff the duvet back into the cover, and another 1 minute to get it looking smooth and nice. But I'm 6 feet tall and extremely strong ;-)

Could this be specific to one particular country? I get guest from all over western Europe and they are all basically the same in how they make the bed. (Different at breakfast, though.).
I thought it might be the heat & humidity, but there is an A/C unit five feet from them (I showed them how it worked to be sure they knew), and if you're hot, why not kick the blankets off? Instead of laying on a cool, crisp sheet, you lay on top of a fuzzy, warm blanket? This couple is from Wales, so I don't know if this tradition is country specific.
Europeans generally don't understand A/C and humidity at all. You could have explain everything and they still would have thought about opening a window would bring in cool air. Also, the A/C may have been noisy.

I've traveled in Wales and where I stayed they had 2 sheets and a blanket like in America.
Some people sleep on a blanket in winter because it's warmer than a bottom sheet.
Only place I've traveled where they did it like the Swedes, where you sleep between a covered duvet and a bottom sheet, was China.
I wash my duvet covers after every guest. Takes me about 2 minutes to stuff the duvet back into the cover, and another 1 minute to get it looking smooth and nice. But I'm 6 feet tall and extremely strong ;-).
My duvet covers only come out for the cold months, since they cover heavy comforters. Other months, I have a lightweight matelasse cover that I can wash & dry quick. If I had to wash a duvet cover for every change over, I would slit my throat! It's the OCD thing...it will just never get in there the way I want it, and takes me forever.

We also get a lot of Europeans from countries where a bottom sheet topped with a duvet in a duvet cover is the norm. That's what I have on my own bed, too. Now whenever I sleep somewhere with a top sheet and blankets, the top sheet feels very twisty and confining to me. If you're not used to it, it's not comfortable.

I don't think it is European, it is just odd. Being in a warmer climate you would think sleeping on a cool sheet is preferred to sleeping on a fuzzy blanket or quilt. Are you SURE they did this though? I have guests here who I am sure could not possibly be sleeping IN THE BED, but they are.

I don't think it is European, it is just odd. Being in a warmer climate you would think sleeping on a cool sheet is preferred to sleeping on a fuzzy blanket or quilt. Are you SURE they did this though? I have guests here who I am sure could not possibly be sleeping IN THE BED, but they are..
The top sheet and fuzzy blanket was still tightly tucked in (with no wrinkles on the folded over top sheet), but the coverlet was haphazardly thrown over the sheet & blanket.

I have the type of personality where I could usually get away with making a joke out of it with my guests, but I'm not touching this one. They're just an odd couple and I don't want to offend them. I am generally curious tho - not judging, really...just trying to make sense of it.

Yes, bottom sheet (fitted with elastic ) then duvet in a cover, both washed after every guest and in between for longer stays. Most people do this, especially the Innkeepers... You can change the sheet and duvet cover in minutes - practice - like Arks says.
Back say 40 years ago we too had blankets/sheets, but we switched over to duvets in a cover, to avoid touching the fuzzy blanket. Hate it when travelling when we find sheets and blankets on the bed. Afraid that in sleep or in the morning you may find your self touching the fuzy (not so clean) blanket.
So, we would NEVER sleep on top of a blanket. . No idea why your guests would do this.......

Yes, bottom sheet (fitted with elastic ) then duvet in a cover, both washed after every guest and in between for longer stays. Most people do this, especially the Innkeepers... You can change the sheet and duvet cover in minutes - practice - like Arks says.
Back say 40 years ago we too had blankets/sheets, but we switched over to duvets in a cover, to avoid touching the fuzzy blanket. Hate it when travelling when we find sheets and blankets on the bed. Afraid that in sleep or in the morning you may find your self touching the fuzy (not so clean) blanket.
So, we would NEVER sleep on top of a blanket. . No idea why your guests would do this........
Bommelhoeve said:
...we switched over to duvets in a cover, to avoid touching the fuzzy blanket...
Yes, that's why I have duvets in covers rather than blankets and bedspreads. Triple-sheeting can be pretty good, but I've been known to get those things apart in the night and get the blanket around my face. Cannot stand that!
I do wish I had a way to assure guests that the duvet cover is washed after every guest, but Joey Bloggs assures me that it would be tacky to put up a sign saying that, and of course she's right!

Adult Swedes generally know that in hotels in the rest of the world there are generally 2 sheets to sleep between, but I've had Swedish kids/teenagers who have never seen 2 sheets on a bed, so they pull back the blanket or bed spread and crawl in on top of the top sheet, thinking it's the only sheet..
Do you suppose Innkeepers there do it the same way? I can't imagine putting my comforters back in those duvet covers every single time I wash sheets. It takes me close to 30 minutes to get them in there so they look nice.
Believe me. It is just like putting on a pillow case. that easy. You have clips that keep the corner where they are supposed to be. Clip of encasement corner to duvet then you just turn the comforter inside out. And vola you have your duvet all set to go. Remember they are light weight covering just wash and wear. Simple. I love it. But getting people to understand them was hard so I gave up on guest duvet and switched to "Normal" sheet sets.
Oh yes they are single duvets so each person has his or her own. It is sorta our twin bed size.?

We only have the duvets out for the winter, too. PITA to put the covers on. And sooooo expensive. I only have 1 or 2 back up covers so they don't get washed all the time. But we still have 2 sheets on the bed and a blanket and a coverlet. Yes, all of it. Guests like to sleep with the windows open at 20 degrees.

We only have the duvets out for the winter, too. PITA to put the covers on. And sooooo expensive. I only have 1 or 2 back up covers so they don't get washed all the time. But we still have 2 sheets on the bed and a blanket and a coverlet. Yes, all of it. Guests like to sleep with the windows open at 20 degrees..
I allow them to freeze themselves... but they don't get to complain.... I have central heat. Don't open the window and don't freeze.

I wash my duvet covers after every guest. Takes me about 2 minutes to stuff the duvet back into the cover, and another 1 minute to get it looking smooth and nice. But I'm 6 feet tall and extremely strong ;-).
My duvet covers only come out for the cold months, since they cover heavy comforters. Other months, I have a lightweight matelasse cover that I can wash & dry quick. If I had to wash a duvet cover for every change over, I would slit my throat! It's the OCD thing...it will just never get in there the way I want it, and takes me forever.
I use the waffle weave quick wash blankets in summer, heavier duvets and covers in winter. I also have bedspreads, but the kind with a crinkle pattern in the stitching, so you can just throw them back on after the wash and dry. Frankly, it can take me longer to iron the sheets if I forget and leave them sitting in the dryer.

Some duvet covers go on way easier then others. Ourselves, we sleep under Chinese silk duvets. it is a major pain to get the covers off and on again, but many of the down-alternative duvets are much easier to get the covers off and on again. I intended to use the silk duvets for guests but nixed it after finding how long it takes to change the covers. (They're wonderfully light yet warm though). I could use a second cover, but that would defeat the benefit of their lightness.

Believe me. It is just like putting on a pillow case. that easy. You have clips that keep the corner where they are supposed to be. Clip of encasement corner to duvet then you just turn the comforter inside out. And vola you have your duvet all set to go. Remember they are light weight covering just wash and wear. Simple. I love it. But getting people to understand them was hard so I gave up on guest duvet and switched to "Normal" sheet sets.
Oh yes they are single duvets so each person has his or her own. It is sorta our twin bed size.?
we change the duvet cover for every guest - takes 5 minutes max, DH and I tag team it when we do it as its a heck of a lot easier with a king size (6 foot across) with one of you on each corner

Back