Tesla Destination charging

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specific

Reaction score
Good afternoon friends.
Generic and I finally did it.... We bought a Tesla Model 3 .... this is going to be the longest 2 to 4 weeks (according to Tesla's website) or 3 to 4 months (according to saleman) while waiting for delivery !
Now, we have been approved to be have a destination charger at our B&B. I talked to our rep this morning, and I asked him, if owners of other EV can use the Tesla charger with an adapter, and from what I understood he said that no, it was only for Tesla cars.... But looking online, I see there are adapter Tesla to J1266 available, so I was wondering if he didn't understand my question.
Anyone here is has a destination charger at their inn ? Ever had problems plugging other EV into it ? Is there a difference in the Amp / Voltage with Tesla charger that could be a problem ?
Also, I was told that one of the 2 chargers has to be outside. Is there a way to lock it so that not everyone can come and park in the alleyway and charge their car ?

To avoid everyone using the exterior charger have a separate line installed so you can shut off the power.

As Morticia said, just put a switch on the power line to the charger and you can turn it on when you need to and leave it off otherwise.
I got a free charger from Tesla, and bought/installed a Bosch EL-51253 charger for people who need J1772. And yes, I'm sure there are 3rd party adapters available that would let non-Teslas charge through a Tesla charger.
Initially, my chargers were for guests only, but after making a few road trips in my Tesla and realizing how much I valued having chargers available along the way in case I needed one, I made mine free for all, as a service to EV humanity!
But I live in a rural area and don't have all that many electric cars passing through. I can see where in a big city you'd probably want to have more control over who uses it.
Welcome (soon) to the Tesla world. You'll have a smile on your face the first couple of weeks you drive it. I've had my Model S 4 years now and it still gives me joy every time I drive it.
Word from the Tesla geeks is that soon they'll have over 400 mile/650 km range and will charge to 90% of that in under 15 minutes. It just gets better and better! And I guarantee you, in spite of there being more and more company superchargers everywhere, guests will really appreciate being able to plug in at your place so they have a "full tank" the day they leave without having to navigate to a supercharger.

Any installation will have a dedicated circuit breaker, which serves as a switch. It would be a special switch to interrupt a 240V/50A circuit anyway, but they do make them. I have 2 EV outlets: a 10kw Tesla and a 6kw for other EV. When a guest needs juice, I flip the right breaker.
As a practical matter, it charges completely overnight, but it's not fast -- about 30 avail. miles per hour charge -- so most people will go to a super charger even if your charger were free. We have had only a few requests to charge for non-guests, and for me a couple hours isn't even a couple bucks, so not a problem.
I would be surprised if a non-Tesla vehicle could use an adapter for the Tesla charger -- handshake and software would be wrong. It's easy the other way around, the Tesla can use a dumb outlet. I think it pulses amperage draw and checks for voltage drop, then settles in for a long charge.
We've had a few Model 3. Looks like a very sharp, comfortable car. Congrats!

I have had both the Tesla charger and the J1772 since July 2015. I have had a few non-guests "tank-up" @ $15 per and I have had one stop in for a charge while I was in Finland in 2017. Himself wanted me to flip the breaker switch when it was not being used for a guest. I said no. I leave it on at all times - that is how that poor lady who was beside herself was able to charge up while I was not here. I have not had a lot of guests because I had them, but enough that I am glad I do. We now have a couple superchargers in the area. But hope springs eternal that I will get more as more people have Teslas. (Guests get free fill-up)

Our J-1772 station has been up for just under a year.
To date, we've had four guests take advantage of it, but I suspect the number will continue to grow.
If that number seems small, don't forget, we're located in the very remote wilds of northernmost Vermont.

I list my chargers on Plugshare so EV drivers can find them easily. Some people who charge there leave a review at the Plugshare website, but I'd never checked them out before today.
I generally don't know when someone charges there, so I was surprised to see 9 reviews, including that at least two Model 3's have charged there in the last couple of months. I'm guessing there are a lot more people using it who don't leave a review, and with the huge popularity of the Model 3, there will be more and more passing through here. Some of them will stay the night, people who would never have stayed at my place, or even know it existed, otherwise.
They really seem to appreciate my 80 amp Tesla charger, and several have said I saved them, since I'm in a charging "desert" about 125 miles from any other Tesla charger. Some of the reviews mention having a good meal at the restaurant across the street from me, or how they enjoyed some of the nearby downtown shops. It feels good to know I helped these people out by giving them a few dollars worth of electricity. The good will and good feeling offsets the dollars.

Okay, did anyone install a separate charger for other EVs? Or do you have a converter? What do you do with other EVs?
They were here today and it appears we need to install a special box in front of our charger to assure that it won't blow the circuit, because we only have 200A for the whole house and it's almost impossible to put in more.

Okay, did anyone install a separate charger for other EVs? Or do you have a converter? What do you do with other EVs?
They were here today and it appears we need to install a special box in front of our charger to assure that it won't blow the circuit, because we only have 200A for the whole house and it's almost impossible to put in more..
I have a 200 amp breaker box - I had 1 breaker left in it after installing the Tesla and the J1772. I have separate chargers wired into my breaker box - the chargers are hung on the side of the house on the outside of the wall where the breaker box is located. When I was having my new office rewired, the electrician found a wire from the old furnace that was still on the breaker box so now I have 2 empty breakers. Not planning to fill them.

Wow... this was actually more work than I expected. Basically we only have 200A for the house, so we need to put in a specialized unit in front of the charger. But I think we finally have all the ducks in a row for this. And I found a Tesla to J1772 adapter and I have to see about that. But it wasn't cheap....

Wow... this was actually more work than I expected. Basically we only have 200A for the house, so we need to put in a specialized unit in front of the charger. But I think we finally have all the ducks in a row for this. And I found a Tesla to J1772 adapter and I have to see about that. But it wasn't cheap.....
Everyone who has done it here has had to run an additional line, meaning a new meter and new bill. It wasn't cheap, even if you got the charger free from Tesla. We tossed the idea around, but right now there are 2 B&B's in town that have one and an entire super charging station with 8 units 2 blocks away.

Wow... this was actually more work than I expected. Basically we only have 200A for the house, so we need to put in a specialized unit in front of the charger. But I think we finally have all the ducks in a row for this. And I found a Tesla to J1772 adapter and I have to see about that. But it wasn't cheap.....
Everyone who has done it here has had to run an additional line, meaning a new meter and new bill. It wasn't cheap, even if you got the charger free from Tesla. We tossed the idea around, but right now there are 2 B&B's in town that have one and an entire super charging station with 8 units 2 blocks away.
Wow... there are many in town, but for one thing, I need it myself. But I think I appeal to the Model 3 people. I found an adapter for the standard electric vehicle... not cheap, but cheaper than installing another unit.
What's interesting is that the government has a subsidy plan that offers 50% of all costs to install charging for employees... condition... you can't let customers use it. Ugh! We get the personal installation subsidy. But it's on our main power... we can't easily get another line in...

My interest in Tesla charging predates the destination charging program by about 6months, so I have a 50 Amp plug in my garage and a second 50 Amp plug in the driveway. For non-Teslas I have a portable J1772 electric car charger that plugs in. I have had a couple of Leafs stop by, and a week ago a red Model 3 carrying a sweet 2 year old as a passenger.

Electric vehicles will only become more common from here, not less so. My own chargers get used a LOT more than the first year I had them. Still not busy, but 2 or 3 times more than it used to be, and I expect it will continue to grow.
Tesla expects to deliver 400,000 vehicles this year, and MANY more next year as the new gigafactory comes online in China. Panasonic has geared up to greatly increase their battery production, and they are a new battery that accepts more charge, and faster charging, than what they had in the past. And the price is coming down! It just keeps getting better and better.

Well, it's all done. 60A breaker, so 48A charging, in our garage. How long before I appear on Tesla's website?

Well, it's all done. 60A breaker, so 48A charging, in our garage. How long before I appear on Tesla's website?.
Generic said:
Well, it's all done. 60A breaker, so 48A charging, in our garage. How long before I appear on Tesla's website?
Good. Seems like my charger appeared online about 3 weeks after I sent Tesla the photos and notification that is was in operation.And it's not just their website. The main thing is that all Teslas will be updated over the air to know that your charging station is there, so if someone is needing a charge and has their car look for a place nearby, you'll show up and they can have the car navigate to you.

If you haven't already, also list your hardware on Plugshare. I get visits from non-Tesla EVs through my listing on Plugshare.

Well, it's all done. 60A breaker, so 48A charging, in our garage. How long before I appear on Tesla's website?.
Generic said:
Good. Seems like my charger appeared online about 3 weeks after I sent Tesla the photos and notification that is was in operation.And it's not just their website. The main thing is that all Teslas will be updated over the air to know that your charging station is there, so if someone is needing a charge and has their car look for a place nearby, you'll show up and they can have the car navigate to you.

If you haven't already, also list your hardware on Plugshare. I get visits from non-Tesla EVs through my listing on Plugshare.
I will, but mine are actually inside the garage... so it's either for guests or you need me to run the wire outside while parked in front of the garages. Not really available for public use. The installer does the work for all the Tesla destination and superchargers. He took the pictures and submitted them.

Generic said:

I will, but mine are actually inside the garage... so it's either for guests or you need me to run the wire outside while parked in front of the garages. Not really available for public use. The installer does the work for all the Tesla destination and superchargers. He took the pictures and submitted them.
Generic said:
You can put on Plugshare that it's only for registered guests. It's a good way to let EV drivers know they can get a charge when they stay there. And it's free, so why not.

And today we got out personalized plate for the car... with the B&B name on it. In 2 weeks we are having the paint protection film put on and a shiny coat of ceramic to make the car sparkle!

And today we got out personalized plate for the car... with the B&B name on it. In 2 weeks we are having the paint protection film put on and a shiny coat of ceramic to make the car sparkle!.
Wow! I thought this was your personal car. Is this to pick up guests, etc.?

Back