Tesla shrine

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom

Reaction score
A while back, forum members mentioned Tesla promoting destination charging by giving charging units to select B&B. Hmm, I sez, why not? And they sent me one and $200 to install (labor cheap in rural Oregon). There was one person on the forum, now departed (can't remember name, was something like sea cucumber), who said Tesla and EV in general were a waste of time.
But he was wrong. We get a lot of business from Tesla (and a few other EV using our standard level 2 charger), particularly during pandemic, when people who used to fly the coast now drive. We and a Hilton Garden are the only destination charger in an I-5, college town of 250,000 people; although there is a supercharger.
So I decided to build a shrine. OK, more of a weather and sun shield, but I spared no expense. Shed houses 200 A meter so only 10 foot run to 10 kW charger, very efficient, and has breaker right there. Metal roof skillion next to charger shield houses one of my emergency generators and the EV charger. I want that baby to last!
Tesla_cover_outside_s.jpgTesla_cover_inside_s.jpg

I got mine from Tesla in 2015. Lately, I have had more stop by for a zap up than guests with it. Nice extra $$ when that happens. Since it cost me nothing in the first place, I am not sorry I got them - they are mounted on the side of the house (breaker box is on the other side of the wall). I leave them on at all times as I do not want someone stranded if I am not here. The reason I do not get many these days is that The city of Morgantown now has a "bank of chargers" at the parking garage, Sheetz stations have either superchargers or a "bank of chargers" at their stations along the Interstate and the hotels in the area have them also. AND West Virginia does not have a lot of people who can afford a Tesla - but we are getting some. Yes, I would do it again.Teslacharging-gillumhouse.JPG

Love your shrine! The first couple of years after I installed my Tesla charger, I got about 1 user every other month. Now I get 1 every other day! I'm the ONLY place to charge on the main highway between St. Louis and Little Rock, and the only place to charge between Branson, MO and Nashville, so my charger is very popular. As a Tesla owner myself, I realize how valuable a reliable, fast charge is to people. I feel good every time one of them pulls up to charge. I no longer require them to spend the night...just happy to see them charge and spend a couple of hours walking our downtown.

I would allow a non-guest to charge, but we are out in the country a bit and there's nothing to do while waiting ... hmm, maybe I could have them do gardening, chop wood, or flip rooms, ...

We can't get Tesla to list us on their destination chargers... in spite of themselves... I mean, the guy at Tesla who got us into the program can't get them to actually listen to him that we have them installed.

Well... at least we have them and advertise them ourselves (and use it for our own car.)

I would allow a non-guest to charge, but we are out in the country a bit and there's nothing to do while waiting ... hmm, maybe I could have them do gardening, chop wood, or flip rooms, ...

I invite them into the Library for TV and coffee. I am charging them for the charge-up. OR they can walk on the trail, go play the machines at the Hotspot (or have a beer), or walk around town if before 5 PM.

We can't get Tesla to list us on their destination chargers...
Wow. They're usually pretty good about that sort of thing. At least make sure you're listed on PlugShare. But having it appear on the Tesla car's navigation system is really important, and it gets you automatically listed on ChargePoint and other charging apps.

Maybe they know you're easy to push around ;-) ...not!

We have both Tesla and the universal EVC. There is only one Tesla in the area - a business man who drives here to work. Occasionally he will need a charge and we are happy accommodate him. They are rarely used, except we do charge our Toyota. Charging is free, coffee is $15 a cup

Wow. They're usually pretty good about that sort of thing. At least make sure you're listed on PlugShare. But having it appear on the Tesla car's navigation system is really important, and it gets you automatically listed on ChargePoint and other charging apps.

Maybe they know you're easy to push around ;-) ...not!

They keep on putting up these weird hoops. Heck, they even asked us for the S/N of the units. Photos, etc.

We are on plugshare. I made sure. I put up pictures as well. They are inside our garage, so you can't just drive up and plug in.

...they even asked us for the S/N of the units. Photos, etc.
Since they provided my charger, then didn't ask for the S/N, but did ask for photos of the finished installation before they'd put it into the navigation system.

Since they provided my charger, then didn't ask for the S/N, but did ask for photos of the finished installation before they'd put it into the navigation system.

That's what I didn't understand... they provided them! The tech that installed took photos. They had to send the tech back because Tesla insisted on metal conduit when they had used plastic. He took photos and sent them the second time. And still, can't get it listed.

Back