Testing a new phone model

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I am trying out the new phone-answering model of getting info before giving info. (ie- 'what do you need' before 'here's the price')
First phone call went like this:
Caller- We need a room for one night on July 3.
Me- What brings you to the area?
Caller- Just passing thru.
Me- Ah, where are you headed? (Maybe I can convince them to stay here longer!)
Caller- (mentions the number one tourist destination in the state, no it is not here despite repeated attempts by marketers to tell us it is!)
Me- Yes, beautiful location.
Caller- I see you have this room open on that night.
Me thinking- (I do have that room open on that night but not the previous or following nights, so there goes the extra nights if they don't want to switch rooms)
Caller- Yes, the family loves to go there every year.
Me thinking- (Family, this means kids)
Caller- We only need a room with 2 beds.
Me- How many in your party? (Didn't really get that out as caller was talking over me at this point.)
Caller- We generally just have the kids sleep on the floor, never a problem at a hotel.
Me- Sorry, I can't do that here.
Caller- (Now irate) wants to know why not.
Me- (explaining fire codes and how hotels don't bother to count how many you stuff into the room) Sorry, we can't do that.
Now even if I wanted to stuff all of them into the room, once I started adding on extra person fees this guy could have gotten 2 double-bedded connecting rooms at a hotel! 6 guests in 1 room with 2 beds. Pig pile of kids on the floor. 4 extra guests he wasn't going to want to pay for because they'd be sleeping on the floor. But I bet he'd be happy to let me feed them!
Trying to change guests' perceptions about what are 'comfortable' accommodations for all is a tough one.
I almost asked if he'd ever taken a good look at a hotel carpet and if the kids were up to date on their shots. But I didn't because it's not in the script!

Here's where my phone model varies from yours.
I don't confirm any room is available until I get the basic info, starting with number of guests and number of nights.
Once it was established at that point that I didn't have what he was looking for, sorry we don't have anything available. Refer. Next.
Once he's got you on the hook confirming room availability, he's controlling the call. If what he wanted was available, he would have booked online. He's calling to bend the rules.
I just politely end the game before anyone gets frustrated.

I don't confirm any room is available until I get the basic info, starting with number of guests and number of nights.
Once it was established at that point that I didn't have what he was looking for, sorry we don't have anything available. Refer. Next.
Once he's got you on the hook confirming room availability, he's controlling the call. If what he wanted was available, he would have booked online. He's calling to bend the rules.
I just politely end the game before anyone gets frustrated..
He knew the room he wanted was open, he was looking at the calendar. Yes, calling to bend the rules because he couldn't put '6' in the 'how many in your party' slot and was probably not wanting to take a chance on me turning him away at the door. So, actually, trying to bend the rules, but playing by them as well.
I get that kind of phone call a LOT: I'm looking at the calendar and the room is open, can I reserve it?
Guests are leery because they've been burned by making a rez and then having it declined because the calendar is out of date or the property didn't like something about the rez. So they call.
Also call to bend the rules!

He knew the room he wanted was open, he was looking at the calendar. Yes, calling to bend the rules because he couldn't put '6' in the 'how many in your party' slot and was probably not wanting to take a chance on me turning him away at the door. So, actually, trying to bend the rules, but playing by them as well.
I get that kind of phone call a LOT: I'm looking at the calendar and the room is open, can I reserve it?
Guests are leery because they've been burned by making a rez and then having it declined because the calendar is out of date or the property didn't like something about the rez. So they call.
Morticia said:
Sure, the calendar showed the room open for 1 day but not all the days he wanted and not for the number of guests. So no matter how you cut that, he was trying to bend the rules.
And sure, some guests are calling for other reasons and really want more info.
But still, to cut it short before anyone gets frustrated, I don't confirm the room is available until I know the number of guests and nights. After that, I'll start chatting about all the other stuff.
First things first, though. No point wasting anyone's time. Mine or the guest's.

Morticia said:
Sure, the calendar showed the room open for 1 day but not all the days he wanted and not for the number of guests. So no matter how you cut that, he was trying to bend the rules.
But still, to cut it short before anyone gets frustrated, I don't confirm the room is available until I know the number of guests and nights. After that, I'll start chatting about all the other stuff.
First things first, though. No point wasting anyone's time. Mine or the guest's.
I was going to try to move him to another room, IF he wanted more nights, that wasn't certain, until he told me how many in his party. I hadn't actually told him anything was open as I was still trying to get a feel for what his purpose was in being here. 'Passing thru' generally means 'we have a house booked for the week somewhere else'. But not always. Once he started in on letting the kids sleep in the floor I told him we don't allow that here and he got angry because 'hotels let us'. For me, the conversation was over. I told him some hotels nearby and that was that.
I have no problems telling guests we cannot accommodate them even if they see the room is open and insist it's 'ok with us' to pig pile.
The frustration was on his part because he couldn't have what he wanted and he already knew that. Even if he had only looked at the photos and called, he still wasn't getting the room he wanted because of the number in his party.
However, we do get a lot of guests who are set to book, have their room picked out and just want to talk to us and have us make the rez for them. And who have read all the details and aren't trying to game us. I'm working on trying to pull in those guests who are hesitant or who might stay longer if they knew what was here. Or, get the folks who are all set to maybe get an addon.
It's a work in progress. Funny thing is, the 'script' has nothing in it about children or these extra people in a room. 'Are you traveling alone or with a partner?' is what the script says to ask.

We vary rarely take children and though under UK law we could put the kids in a "pig pile" it is too much trouble to be bothered with. They always want the absolute cheapest deal and then when they come they try and haggle with you over the price have better things to do. If he wants to do that he should go to a hotel or motel.

$50 for each additional body ought to solve that floor space issue!

Morticia said:
I was going to try to move him to another room, IF he wanted more nights, that wasn't certain, until he told me how many in his party. I hadn't actually told him anything was open as I was still trying to get a feel for what his purpose was in being here. 'Passing thru' generally means 'we have a house booked for the week somewhere else'. But not always. Once he started in on letting the kids sleep in the floor I told him we don't allow that here and he got angry because 'hotels let us'. For me, the conversation was over. I told him some hotels nearby and that was that.
I have no problems telling guests we cannot accommodate them even if they see the room is open and insist it's 'ok with us' to pig pile.
The frustration was on his part because he couldn't have what he wanted and he already knew that. Even if he had only looked at the photos and called, he still wasn't getting the room he wanted because of the number in his party.
However, we do get a lot of guests who are set to book, have their room picked out and just want to talk to us and have us make the rez for them. And who have read all the details and aren't trying to game us. I'm working on trying to pull in those guests who are hesitant or who might stay longer if they knew what was here. Or, get the folks who are all set to maybe get an addon.
It's a work in progress. Funny thing is, the 'script' has nothing in it about children or these extra people in a room. 'Are you traveling alone or with a partner?' is what the script says to ask.
What script?

Morticia said:
What script?
Innkeeper To Go said:
What script?
From a webinar online last week. A list of questions to ask to get info before you give it out. I keep forgetting the add ons, tho.

Morticia said:
What script?
Innkeeper To Go said:
What script?
From a webinar online last week. A list of questions to ask to get info before you give it out. I keep forgetting the add ons, tho.
So this was your first practice of the script with a real live guest then. Gotcha.

Morticia said:
What script?
Innkeeper To Go said:
What script?
So this was your first practice of the script with a real live guest then. Gotcha.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Well, it didn't get far...so not a real test! The real test will be someone who is iffy who I convert and get to select add ons!
However, I will say I think it paid off in a call today...guest knew what she wanted, booked, good to go but I told her all this great stuff that was going on and she just called back to say her parents want to come, too. SCORE!

Morticia said:
What script?
Innkeeper To Go said:
What script?
Innkeeper To Go said:
Well, it didn't get far...so not a real test! The real test will be someone who is iffy who I convert and get to select add ons!
However, I will say I think it paid off in a call today...guest knew what she wanted, booked, good to go but I told her all this great stuff that was going on and she just called back to say her parents want to come, too. SCORE!
Very cool.

Morticia said:
What script?
Innkeeper To Go said:
What script?
Morticia said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
What script?
Where can I get a copy of the script?

Morticia said:
What script?
Innkeeper To Go said:
What script?
Morticia said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
What script?
Where can I get a copy of the script?
Will email it to you.

Morticia said:
What script?
Innkeeper To Go said:
What script?
Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
Yeah! Glad it worked for you!!! You Go Girl!!!!
This time of year I am a 'traveling thru' type of market. Will try this script myself. This will be after -
one of my first questions is always the # in the party... that will always be one of the first questions after knowing the date they are looking at. We all know these larger family tactics and you can determine real quick if they are wanting to cram them in or wants comfort for all.

Back