Testing a website on a smartphone simulator

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what all the fuss is about with this mobile phone special site. Didn't you all read SWIRT's post below??? I think someone is out to make a buck. :-(
But the easiest is just use something like wordpress. Every site I have done, I test on tablet and smart phones and they all look ok. To be sure, just use a WP responsive theme..
catlady said:
I don't know what all the fuss is about with this mobile phone special site. Didn't you all read SWIRT's post below??? I think someone is out to make a buck. :-(
But the easiest is just use something like wordpress. Every site I have done, I test on tablet and smart phones and they all look ok. To be sure, just use a WP responsive theme.
the fuss about this site is that you don't have to learn Wordpress. It is user friendly. It automatically sizes your photos. easy peasy and quick to change if you want to update or put in specials. If you have a chance at your next conference go to their demo.
RIki
WORDPRESS is easy too. Most inns are not doing their own websites. WP is tons easier than Dreamweaver. And getting the right theme template makes it even easier. Yes I do customize the ones I do, but anyone can do wordpress..believe me..I have taught some pretty computer illiterate innkeepers how to use it to update their own sites and blogs.
catlady said:
WORDPRESS is easy too. Most inns are not doing their own websites. WP is tons easier than Dreamweaver. And getting the right theme template makes it even easier. Yes I do customize the ones I do, but anyone can do wordpress..believe me..I have taught some pretty computer illiterate innkeepers how to use it to update their own sites and blogs.
That's true but does Wordpress have the ability to check the website for all the different phones as to how it works? The system that I use adjusts for all that and all I have to do is fill in the words and upload the photos. That's it. No learning curve.
It has a button to email, to post on facebook, to text the information. Easy for the phone user.
Also I think I have the premier package. You can pay less and list your inn and driving directions for less. And they are working on new stuff to add:
photo gallery page
You Tube movie page
Social Media Linking
They are in the business of constant updating and adding what mobile phone users are doing. It's far cheaper that using B uu te c for $190 a month for the same thing!!!!
I could do Wordpress but don't know if it would appear correctly on every phone, and phones are constantly changing. They are keeping track and updating as things change. My Wordpress website could be obselete in 6 months and I don't have the time to keep an eye on the industry.
I know this is working for me as the emails tell me when they are coming from a phone and it's up to 40% in the short time I have had this site. To be kept up to date without having to do anything is well worth $250/year, Just takes one night booking or one tour to pay for it.
RIki
A theme that is truly responsive grid would adjust to all current and future phones without reallly caring what the phone is. It just responds to window size. It would not get out of date and does not need to check the list of possible phones.
swirt said:
A theme that is truly responsive grid would adjust to all current and future phones without reallly caring what the phone is. It just responds to window size. It would not get out of date and does not need to check the list of possible phones.
I just noticed that my WordPress blog is a responsive grid! I didn't even realize it, but if I squeeze the browser down narrower and narrower, the photos get smaller, the number of columns gets reduced, etc. Amazing!
Yes, definitely the way to go! Thanks, Swirt!
Surprise! I told you most wordpress template though they may not be labeled as responsive, will adapt to whatever is being used. I know responsive means more than just that, but it works :)
Yours is the basic wordpress install 2011. You said in another post that it can't be used as a "website." I beg to differ, it can be, you just have to change things up a bit. Add in some plug ins and customize. Here is your same template which I used for this site.
catlady said:
...you just have to change things up a bit...
Yes, a bit, but a LOT more than I know how to do! I spent hours yesterday trying to figure out how to turn a WP blog template into a regular web page. Finally gave up and went looking for my bottle of scotch.
Arkansawyer said:
catlady said:
Yes, a bit, but a LOT more than I know how to do! I spent hours yesterday trying to figure out how to turn a WP blog template into a regular web page. Finally gave up and went looking for my bottle of scotch.
Aren't there some unwritten rules about blogging while drinking? BUI LOL

But the easiest is just use something like wordpress. Every site I have done, I test on tablet and smart phones and they all look ok. To be sure, just use a WP responsive theme..
catlady said:
But the easiest is just use something like wordpress. Every site I have done, I test on tablet and smart phones and they all look ok. To be sure, just use a WP responsive theme.
the fuss about this site is that you don't have to learn Wordpress. It is user friendly. It automatically sizes your photos. easy peasy and quick to change if you want to update or put in specials. If you have a chance at your next conference go to their demo.
RIki
catlady said:
That's true but does Wordpress have the ability to check the website for all the different phones as to how it works? The system that I use adjusts for all that and all I have to do is fill in the words and upload the photos. That's it. No learning curve.
It has a button to email, to post on facebook, to text the information. Easy for the phone user.
Also I think I have the premier package. You can pay less and list your inn and driving directions for less. And they are working on new stuff to add:
photo gallery page
You Tube movie page
Social Media Linking
They are in the business of constant updating and adding what mobile phone users are doing. It's far cheaper that using B uu te c for $190 a month for the same thing!!!!
I could do Wordpress but don't know if it would appear correctly on every phone, and phones are constantly changing. They are keeping track and updating as things change. My Wordpress website could be obselete in 6 months and I don't have the time to keep an eye on the industry.
I know this is working for me as the emails tell me when they are coming from a phone and it's up to 40% in the short time I have had this site. To be kept up to date without having to do anything is well worth $250/year, Just takes one night booking or one tour to pay for it.
RIki
swirt said:
I just noticed that my WordPress blog is a responsive grid! I didn't even realize it, but if I squeeze the browser down narrower and narrower, the photos get smaller, the number of columns gets reduced, etc. Amazing!
Surprise! I told you most wordpress template though they may not be labeled as responsive, will adapt to whatever is being used. I know responsive means more than just that, but it works :)
Yours is the basic wordpress install 2011. You said in another post that it can't be used as a "website." I beg to differ, it can be, you just have to change things up a bit. Add in some plug ins and customize. Here is your same template which I used for this site.
OK, I like that template-driven website. Most of them look too 'blog-like' and therefore, to me, not sophisticated. I like a website that looks like the person took some time to develop it and not just plug in their own text. ie- I like novelty in a website.

catlady said:
RIki
catlady said:
photo gallery page
You Tube movie page
Social Media Linking
RIki
swirt said:
CL, what a nice site... peaceful!
Which theme did you use for this one?
copperhead said:
You definitely want to look at that template for yourself. I think this would work really well for you.

catlady said:
RIki
catlady said:
photo gallery page
You Tube movie page
Social Media Linking
RIki
swirt said:
OK, I like that template-driven website. Most of them look too 'blog-like' and therefore, to me, not sophisticated. I like a website that looks like the person took some time to develop it and not just plug in their own text. ie- I like novelty in a website.
That is how I felt till I started reading about them. So many can be altered to give an individual web, not blog, look. But it does take some work. The ones that claim to be 'liquid' have more flexability, at least that is what I have surmised from reading.

catlady said:
RIki
catlady said:
photo gallery page
You Tube movie page
Social Media Linking
RIki
swirt said:
For that site I used the freebie that comes with the download of WP. Twenty eleven. Then customized to suite my needs. It took a little bit of learning...of styles...but it is really pretty easy if you use FIREBUG, inspect the element and then copy and paste into your styles. OH I might mention. If you use this ALWAYS FIRST create your own CHILD THEME. If you don't when there is an upgrade, you will lose all your custom styles.

catlady said:
RIki
catlady said:
photo gallery page
You Tube movie page
Social Media Linking
RIki
swirt said:
That is how I felt till I started reading about them. So many can be altered to give an individual web, not blog, look. But it does take some work. The ones that claim to be 'liquid' have more flexability, at least that is what I have surmised from reading.
Oh you know...it is too funny. One of the themes I have purchased is COLORWAY and the owner touts it is a one click web site. HA HA..there is no way. It isn't hard, it take a bit of time and they do provide good support. But I keep telling him that is not truthful advertising..because no way will one click do it. Only if you want to use their template theme EXACTLY as they have it. And no one can do that.! If you decide to go with one I know, I am happy to provide you with some insights :)

catlady said:
RIki
catlady said:
photo gallery page
You Tube movie page
Social Media Linking
RIki
swirt said:
catlady said:
Here is a B & B site I did with the Twenty Eleven Theme. This one was early on in my learning curve and I would do things just a bit differently now..but it still works just fine. This one I did for our garden club from the same theme. I did this site pretty quickly and no real bells and whistles...but hey it just won one first place at the South Atlantic District Conference :) I do have to brag a bit. I took all the photos and they are all my flowers.

catlady said:
RIki
catlady said:
photo gallery page
You Tube movie page
Social Media Linking
RIki
swirt said:
catlady said:
Here is a B & B site I did with the Twenty Eleven Theme. This one was early on in my learning curve and I would do things just a bit differently now..but it still works just fine. This one I did for our garden club from the same theme. I did this site pretty quickly and no real bells and whistles...but hey it just won one first place at the South Atlantic District Conference :) I do have to brag a bit. I took all the photos and they are all my flowers.
CL - very nice and not blog like at all.

catlady said:
RIki
catlady said:
photo gallery page
You Tube movie page
Social Media Linking
RIki
swirt said:
catlady said:
Very nice - spotted the gnome!

catlady said:
RIki
catlady said:
photo gallery page
You Tube movie page
Social Media Linking
RIki
swirt said:
Oh you know...it is too funny. One of the themes I have purchased is COLORWAY and the owner touts it is a one click web site. HA HA..there is no way. It isn't hard, it take a bit of time and they do provide good support. But I keep telling him that is not truthful advertising..because no way will one click do it. Only if you want to use their template theme EXACTLY as they have it. And no one can do that.! If you decide to go with one I know, I am happy to provide you with some insights :)
Thanks so much CL. Will get back with you when we decide on one... it is hard to choose! We are currently looking at a ThemeForest one called Coherence by Kriesi.

catlady said:
RIki
catlady said:
photo gallery page
You Tube movie page
Social Media Linking
RIki
swirt said:
Thanks so much CL. Will get back with you when we decide on one... it is hard to choose! We are currently looking at a ThemeForest one called Coherence by Kriesi.
That one looks nice, but look at the ones that have been purchased the most as well. To me that is indicative of how good the site and support for it is...at least that is how it has been for the other ones I have purchased there. I am looking at a few of them right now for a new site I am going to do.
With this fellow, you can actually go to his support page and actually read the questions and his answers before you buy...that's a good thing. On most, you have to buy and register before you can see their support. http://www.kriesi.at/support/ one other good thing....this fellow is based in Vienna..so hopefully his english is a bit better than some others.

catlady said:
RIki
catlady said:
photo gallery page
You Tube movie page
Social Media Linking
RIki
swirt said:
catlady said:
Here's an FYI for you and others who do their own websites and are thinking of going to Wordpress
Take a look at this tutorial
This gives you great information on how to use Firebug to edit your wordpress site. I use Firebug all the time. It is also a great way to learn more css. In many of the themes, you don't have to edit the style sheet, you can go into their Theme Options and Custom styles and just copy and paste the code into that section rather than opening up the WP editor.

catlady said:
RIki
catlady said:
photo gallery page
You Tube movie page
Social Media Linking
RIki
swirt said:
copperhead said:
We are currently looking at a ThemeForest one called Coherence by Kriesi.
I am also looking at Coherence, but on Kriesi's website, under "Key Features of Coherence" it says "deactivate responsive features with one click in your backend". That just sounds painful!
;-)

catlady said:
RIki
catlady said:
photo gallery page
You Tube movie page
Social Media Linking
RIki
swirt said:
copperhead said:
I am also looking at Coherence, but on Kriesi's website, under "Key Features of Coherence" it says "deactivate responsive features with one click in your backend". That just sounds painful!
;-)
ha ha...I just bought it so have to play around with it.

catlady said:
RIki
catlady said:
photo gallery page
You Tube movie page
Social Media Linking
RIki
swirt said:
copperhead said:
;-)
Well , the co herence site says this: "[COLOR= rgb(119, 119, 119)]The theme uses a flexible template system that enables you to create stunning pages out of the box with no coding knowledge at all"[/COLOR]
That's a joke! If you can't read some code and know where and how to change it, you will be stuck.
I have been working with the theme for 3 days now and have had to solve all the different issues myself. I have had no one from support get in and answer my questions on their support forum. They do others but it is random. Don't know what the secret is. Fend for yourself is the message I am getting. I am still trying to figure a way to get header images that are not sliders on the subpages, but haven't discovered that yet. May need to get a plug in to do it.
this is what my draft site looks like now. Don't know yet if the clients like it or not. Haven't heard from them.

catlady said:
RIki
catlady said:
photo gallery page
You Tube movie page
Social Media Linking
RIki
swirt said:
copperhead said:
;-)
Well , the co herence site says this: "[COLOR= rgb(119, 119, 119)]The theme uses a flexible template system that enables you to create stunning pages out of the box with no coding knowledge at all"[/COLOR]
That's a joke! If you can't read some code and know where and how to change it, you will be stuck.
I have been working with the theme for 3 days now and have had to solve all the different issues myself. I have had no one from support get in and answer my questions on their support forum. They do others but it is random. Don't know what the secret is. Fend for yourself is the message I am getting. I am still trying to figure a way to get header images that are not sliders on the subpages, but haven't discovered that yet. May need to get a plug in to do it.
this is what my draft site looks like now. Don't know yet if the clients like it or not. Haven't heard from them.
catlady said:
I have been working with the theme for 3 days now and have had to solve all the different issues myself.
Well you've sure done a good job solving the issues because the site looks great to me! It works very well on my iPhone, pretty much like it's custom made for the screen.

catlady said:
RIki
catlady said:
photo gallery page
You Tube movie page
Social Media Linking
RIki
swirt said:
copperhead said:
;-)
catlady said:
I have been working with the theme for 3 days now and have had to solve all the different issues myself.
Well you've sure done a good job solving the issues because the site looks great to me! It works very well on my iPhone, pretty much like it's custom made for the screen.
Great that is good to know. I looked at it on my tablet and it was fine. but hadn't looked at a phone yet.

catlady said:
RIki
catlady said:
photo gallery page
You Tube movie page
Social Media Linking
RIki
swirt said:
copperhead said:
;-)
catlady said:
Those of you looking for a new wordpress theme with RESPONSIVE settings, my favorite company now has theirs available. Go here to see STERLING
Their support is TERRIFFIC and they have training demo videos that walk you through the how to's. They are all in understandable ENGLISH
embaressed_smile.gif
They also have the best documentation for using the theme I have seen. All again in plain and correct English.
Take a look and see what you think

catlady said:
RIki
catlady said:
photo gallery page
You Tube movie page
Social Media Linking
RIki
swirt said:
copperhead said:
;-)
catlady said:
Those of you looking for a new wordpress theme with RESPONSIVE settings, my favorite company now has theirs available. Go here to see STERLING
Their support is TERRIFFIC and they have training demo videos that walk you through the how to's. They are all in understandable ENGLISH
embaressed_smile.gif
They also have the best documentation for using the theme I have seen. All again in plain and correct English.
CL - I like the look of that one, what does Layout Fixed mean.
Does that mean that the general format is fixed as in you can edit the text but not the layout of where it sits?

catlady said:
RIki
catlady said:
photo gallery page
You Tube movie page
Social Media Linking
RIki
swirt said:
copperhead said:
;-)
catlady said:
embaressed_smile.gif
CL - I like the look of that one, what does Layout Fixed mean.
Does that mean that the general format is fixed as in you can edit the text but not the layout of where it sits?
I am not sure what you are referring to? There are several types of layouts you can choose from and lots of options to make it your own. the basic structure is set by the theme, so unless youknow coding, you would stick with what is there. But I have not found any ofthem to be confining.
I just bought this particular theme so have not gotten into it yet. but as i looked it over, it should do anything I want

Back