Testing a website on a smartphone simulator

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this? I realize I need to get a second website out there for smartphone users but I've asked guests to show me the website on their smartphones and it doesn't look bad. The screen has to be sized so maybe guests will grouse about that, I don't know.
I just used an iPhone simulator online and it didn't work. It wouldn't show my booking calendar and it DID show my Flash slideshow. So, even the testing app doesn't work right.

My overall naive assumption is that the phone will get smarter before I get the webpage developed.

Phones browsers are growing better and better with each new release. You do not need a separate website for mobile unless you intend to actually serve up different content to mobile viewers. There may be some layout issues with a current site (not yours specifically), but many times those can be rectified fairly easily. A responsive grid site is a good alternative but that often requires a bit more work as you'd be re-skinning your entire site, especially if you aren't using a cms.
The real kicker is usually the booking engine... as I think PT was mentioning in a recent thread. How well the booking engine performs in mobile is important. But that is essentially out of your control other than an option of switching companies.

My overall naive assumption is that the phone will get smarter before I get the webpage developed..
sounds daft but this will probably be the case! its one of the reasons that I am thinking about my next phone upgrade very carefully as it will help me understand these issues from a customer point of view. its my only problem with Blackberry all the other services are excellent but the screen is soo little its hard to see any web sites ie you do it as a last resort so going to see what they come up with. I am wary of Iphone as well as HTC as HTC seems to need a lot of updates on a regular basis and the iphones seem to have issues with people not getting email and text messages.

I love my mobile Innsmobile phone website. It is easy to change and I control it. It automatically determines what kind of phone or pad is seeking the website and adjusts to it. I'm still working on pages but you can check it out just looking for my site on your phone.
I think I am paying $250/year for it - I got it for the startup offer which was much less.
They tell me that Availabilityonline is working on a mobile booking page which is super since i use them too!
The experts predict that a huge percentage of the market will be using their phones for looking in the next few years. I can't recall the percentage. I can tell from my email I am getting lots of inquiries from my mobile site.
RIki

I don't know what all the fuss is about with this mobile phone special site. Didn't you all read SWIRT's post below??? I think someone is out to make a buck. :-(
But the easiest is just use something like wordpress. Every site I have done, I test on tablet and smart phones and they all look ok. To be sure, just use a WP responsive theme.

I don't know what all the fuss is about with this mobile phone special site. Didn't you all read SWIRT's post below??? I think someone is out to make a buck. :-(
But the easiest is just use something like wordpress. Every site I have done, I test on tablet and smart phones and they all look ok. To be sure, just use a WP responsive theme..
catlady said:
But the easiest is just use something like wordpress. Every site I have done, I test on tablet and smart phones and they all look ok. To be sure, just use a WP responsive theme.
the fuss about this site is that you don't have to learn Wordpress. It is user friendly. It automatically sizes your photos. easy peasy and quick to change if you want to update or put in specials. If you have a chance at your next conference go to their demo.
RIki

But the easiest is just use something like wordpress. Every site I have done, I test on tablet and smart phones and they all look ok. To be sure, just use a WP responsive theme..
catlady said:
the fuss about this site is that you don't have to learn Wordpress. It is user friendly. It automatically sizes your photos. easy peasy and quick to change if you want to update or put in specials. If you have a chance at your next conference go to their demo.
RIki
WORDPRESS is easy too. Most inns are not doing their own websites. WP is tons easier than Dreamweaver. And getting the right theme template makes it even easier. Yes I do customize the ones I do, but anyone can do wordpress..believe me..I have taught some pretty computer illiterate innkeepers how to use it to update their own sites and blogs.

catlady said:
RIki
WORDPRESS is easy too. Most inns are not doing their own websites. WP is tons easier than Dreamweaver. And getting the right theme template makes it even easier. Yes I do customize the ones I do, but anyone can do wordpress..believe me..I have taught some pretty computer illiterate innkeepers how to use it to update their own sites and blogs.
catlady said:
That's true but does Wordpress have the ability to check the website for all the different phones as to how it works? The system that I use adjusts for all that and all I have to do is fill in the words and upload the photos. That's it. No learning curve.
It has a button to email, to post on facebook, to text the information. Easy for the phone user.
Also I think I have the premier package. You can pay less and list your inn and driving directions for less. And they are working on new stuff to add:
photo gallery page
You Tube movie page
Social Media Linking
They are in the business of constant updating and adding what mobile phone users are doing. It's far cheaper that using B uu te c for $190 a month for the same thing!!!!
I could do Wordpress but don't know if it would appear correctly on every phone, and phones are constantly changing. They are keeping track and updating as things change. My Wordpress website could be obselete in 6 months and I don't have the time to keep an eye on the industry.
I know this is working for me as the emails tell me when they are coming from a phone and it's up to 40% in the short time I have had this site. To be kept up to date without having to do anything is well worth $250/year, Just takes one night booking or one tour to pay for it.
RIki

catlady said:
RIki
catlady said:
That's true but does Wordpress have the ability to check the website for all the different phones as to how it works? The system that I use adjusts for all that and all I have to do is fill in the words and upload the photos. That's it. No learning curve.
It has a button to email, to post on facebook, to text the information. Easy for the phone user.
Also I think I have the premier package. You can pay less and list your inn and driving directions for less. And they are working on new stuff to add:
photo gallery page
You Tube movie page
Social Media Linking
They are in the business of constant updating and adding what mobile phone users are doing. It's far cheaper that using B uu te c for $190 a month for the same thing!!!!
I could do Wordpress but don't know if it would appear correctly on every phone, and phones are constantly changing. They are keeping track and updating as things change. My Wordpress website could be obselete in 6 months and I don't have the time to keep an eye on the industry.
I know this is working for me as the emails tell me when they are coming from a phone and it's up to 40% in the short time I have had this site. To be kept up to date without having to do anything is well worth $250/year, Just takes one night booking or one tour to pay for it.
RIki
A theme that is truly responsive grid would adjust to all current and future phones without reallly caring what the phone is. It just responds to window size. It would not get out of date and does not need to check the list of possible phones.

I love my mobile Innsmobile phone website. It is easy to change and I control it. It automatically determines what kind of phone or pad is seeking the website and adjusts to it. I'm still working on pages but you can check it out just looking for my site on your phone.
I think I am paying $250/year for it - I got it for the startup offer which was much less.
They tell me that Availabilityonline is working on a mobile booking page which is super since i use them too!
The experts predict that a huge percentage of the market will be using their phones for looking in the next few years. I can't recall the percentage. I can tell from my email I am getting lots of inquiries from my mobile site.
RIki.
egoodell said:
... I'm still working on pages but you can check it out just looking for my site on your phone. ...
When I view your site on my phone, all I see is your site, the same one I see using my desktop. Your inn site works just fine in my phone .... your vineyard site has some odd behaviour with the fixed background image, but nothing that keeps me from using the site.
I had to dig around by searching for inns mobile to discover the inns entry page by going to http://m.innsmobile.com ... knowing your location I was able to get to your mobile site. I'm not sure how long you've been using them, but your mobile site is not indexed by google yet.
To be honest with you, your home website is a better experience on my phone (HTC Android) than this mobile site. The photos in the header of your mobile site do not scale they way they have led you to believe they do, I have to scroll left and right to see them. On your real site, I can zoom out to see the whole photo, on your mobile site, it won't let me zoom out. I actually have to do more scrolling to interact with your mobile site than I do your real site.
  • The mobile site has the buttons to email you, I get that on your real site by tapping on your email address.
  • The mobile site has a button for directions, I get that on your real site by tapping on your address.
  • The mobile site has a phone number button that launches my phone, I get that by tapping on your phone number on your real site.
  • The mobile site has individual pages I have to go to in order to see each room, your real site I can see all your rooms on one page. Sure there is more scrolling to see them all, but I like that better than clicking, then scrolling, then clicking back, then scrolling ...
This is probably not what you want to hear, but if you took the same amount of money over time that you are paying for this extra site, and sunk it in to your own site, you would have an investment, rather than paying for a service that goes away when you stop paying. If you took the same amount of time that you spend maintaining a separate site, and put that into your main site, you again would have an investment rather than an expenditure.

My overall naive assumption is that the phone will get smarter before I get the webpage developed..
regular_smile.gif

catlady said:
RIki
catlady said:
photo gallery page
You Tube movie page
Social Media Linking
RIki
A theme that is truly responsive grid would adjust to all current and future phones without reallly caring what the phone is. It just responds to window size. It would not get out of date and does not need to check the list of possible phones.
swirt said:
Thanks for the clarification. We've been looking at some WP themes and noticed some were labeled responsive while others did not. We thought we understood, now we do;)))

catlady said:
RIki
catlady said:
photo gallery page
You Tube movie page
Social Media Linking
RIki
swirt said:
Thanks for the clarification. We've been looking at some WP themes and noticed some were labeled responsive while others did not. We thought we understood, now we do;)))
Here are examples of GOOD responsive grid sites
http://foodsense.is/
http://joshuasortino.com/
Change the width of your browser and you will see the site adjust. Push it to the limits, go really narrow. Not only do the images change size, the buttons change location and drop down to text only below a certain size. Really watch the page and you will see all kinds of things that change as you vary the width of the browser.
This is not a fad, this is the solution to handling an infinite number of screen sizes / platforms.

RIki.
egoodell said:
... I'm still working on pages but you can check it out just looking for my site on your phone. ...
When I view your site on my phone, all I see is your site, the same one I see using my desktop. Your inn site works just fine in my phone .... your vineyard site has some odd behaviour with the fixed background image, but nothing that keeps me from using the site.
I had to dig around by searching for inns mobile to discover the inns entry page by going to http://m.innsmobile.com ... knowing your location I was able to get to your mobile site. I'm not sure how long you've been using them, but your mobile site is not indexed by google yet.
To be honest with you, your home website is a better experience on my phone (HTC Android) than this mobile site. The photos in the header of your mobile site do not scale they way they have led you to believe they do, I have to scroll left and right to see them. On your real site, I can zoom out to see the whole photo, on your mobile site, it won't let me zoom out. I actually have to do more scrolling to interact with your mobile site than I do your real site.
  • The mobile site has the buttons to email you, I get that on your real site by tapping on your email address.
  • The mobile site has a button for directions, I get that on your real site by tapping on your address.
  • The mobile site has a phone number button that launches my phone, I get that by tapping on your phone number on your real site.
  • The mobile site has individual pages I have to go to in order to see each room, your real site I can see all your rooms on one page. Sure there is more scrolling to see them all, but I like that better than clicking, then scrolling, then clicking back, then scrolling ...
This is probably not what you want to hear, but if you took the same amount of money over time that you are paying for this extra site, and sunk it in to your own site, you would have an investment, rather than paying for a service that goes away when you stop paying. If you took the same amount of time that you spend maintaining a separate site, and put that into your main site, you again would have an investment rather than an expenditure.
swirt said:
egoodell said:
**sigh** I had thought we put this to bed. I would rather use this than the $1000 per month some pay on Bed and Breakfast dot com to be the "favored" inn of the month. Others love Bu u t e cc nd pay them $190 per month. Everyone does what works for them. You have warned the others not to consider the service. They are forwarned. I don't disparage what others do for marketing, so please can we drop this?
$250/year versus what some are paying per month is not much for us to pay for this a we have dropped all but two directories. It comes up on the androids and iphones here, so I will check with them to see if I don't have the code in the right place as you can't pull it up. I search for Arcadyvineyard.com and it comes right up here.
Yes I know some host websites for $140 and they do for $240. But I know when I screw up my website I can call them, they answer the phone, and they fix my mistakes. This does not come for free. The cheapest is not always the best.
I won't have the professional photos for a new website until the grapes are hanging in the fall so I have yet to professionally redo my website . Yes, I know my website may has some strange things in it but it works for now - I am doing it on my own with trail and error and one Dreamweaver class I took years ago. I work 7:30 - 5 Monday through Friday so please don't tell me that I can do it by just learning Wordpress as I deal with guests when I get home and don't have the energy to work late at night. I know what is working for me as our rooms are booking as are our wine tours not only weekends but also during the week.
That's all I have to say.
RIki

catlady said:
RIki
catlady said:
photo gallery page
You Tube movie page
Social Media Linking
RIki
swirt said:
I just noticed that my WordPress blog is a responsive grid! I didn't even realize it, but if I squeeze the browser down narrower and narrower, the photos get smaller, the number of columns gets reduced, etc. Amazing!
Yes, definitely the way to go! Thanks, Swirt!

RIki.
egoodell said:
swirt said:
egoodell said:
**sigh** I had thought we put this to bed. I would rather use this than the $1000 per month some pay on Bed and Breakfast dot com to be the "favored" inn of the month. Others love Bu u t e cc nd pay them $190 per month. Everyone does what works for them. You have warned the others not to consider the service. They are forwarned. I don't disparage what others do for marketing, so please can we drop this?
$250/year versus what some are paying per month is not much for us to pay for this a we have dropped all but two directories. It comes up on the androids and iphones here, so I will check with them to see if I don't have the code in the right place as you can't pull it up. I search for Arcadyvineyard.com and it comes right up here.
Yes I know some host websites for $140 and they do for $240. But I know when I screw up my website I can call them, they answer the phone, and they fix my mistakes. This does not come for free. The cheapest is not always the best.
I won't have the professional photos for a new website until the grapes are hanging in the fall so I have yet to professionally redo my website . Yes, I know my website may has some strange things in it but it works for now - I am doing it on my own with trail and error and one Dreamweaver class I took years ago. I work 7:30 - 5 Monday through Friday so please don't tell me that I can do it by just learning Wordpress as I deal with guests when I get home and don't have the energy to work late at night. I know what is working for me as our rooms are booking as are our wine tours not only weekends but also during the week.
That's all I have to say.
RIki
Sorry to have stirred up whatever I have stirred up Riki.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

You sigh and bring up a bunch of completely unrelated stuff as though I have had a discussion with you about innsmobile before. I can't find any record of one in my mind or on this site.
I didn't mention Buteeq, Bedandbreakfast.com, other marketing, hosting, or Wordpress. You make it sound as though I was disparaging your main website and your efforts on it. Did you miss the part where I said it worked fine?
I am sorry to have caused you any distress.

catlady said:
RIki
catlady said:
photo gallery page
You Tube movie page
Social Media Linking
RIki
swirt said:
I just noticed that my WordPress blog is a responsive grid! I didn't even realize it, but if I squeeze the browser down narrower and narrower, the photos get smaller, the number of columns gets reduced, etc. Amazing!
Surprise! I told you most wordpress template though they may not be labeled as responsive, will adapt to whatever is being used. I know responsive means more than just that, but it works :)
Yours is the basic wordpress install 2011. You said in another post that it can't be used as a "website." I beg to differ, it can be, you just have to change things up a bit. Add in some plug ins and customize. Here is your same template which I used for this site.

catlady said:
RIki
catlady said:
photo gallery page
You Tube movie page
Social Media Linking
RIki
swirt said:
Surprise! I told you most wordpress template though they may not be labeled as responsive, will adapt to whatever is being used. I know responsive means more than just that, but it works :)
Yours is the basic wordpress install 2011. You said in another post that it can't be used as a "website." I beg to differ, it can be, you just have to change things up a bit. Add in some plug ins and customize. Here is your same template which I used for this site.
catlady said:
...you just have to change things up a bit...
Yes, a bit, but a LOT more than I know how to do! I spent hours yesterday trying to figure out how to turn a WP blog template into a regular web page. Finally gave up and went looking for my bottle of scotch.

catlady said:
RIki
catlady said:
photo gallery page
You Tube movie page
Social Media Linking
RIki
swirt said:
CL, what a nice site... peaceful!
Which theme did you use for this one?

Back