Text Reservation

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzie Q

Reaction score
Hi!

I just got an email with a person wanting to make a reservation via text because she is hearing impaired. RED LIGHT GOES OFF! I sent her a copy of the URL of my reservation page. She doesn't use it. The following day she wants the rates for "my hotel, 8 days in the room with the queen bed." I do not have a hotel and each room has a queen bed.
I don't know where this conversation/transaction would have ended up, but I'm sure it would not have been good.

Reply. Reservations via website ONLY, full accessible to the hearing impaired.

I had one guest hearing impaired who insisted on calling with the operator assist. I was baffled - online reservations require no speaking to one another and so much easier but this was her way. Four calls and I found each more confusing than the one before since we seemed to rehash the same info. I was beginning to think it was all a joke.
But she came and stayed. Was lovely except she had a companion with her that was never mentioned in all our conversations. The rate was the same for one or two people in the room so it was not the cost. Just odd to leave out that detail.
She had so many questions for me ... would I borrow the 'kit' from the chamber of commerce so that the smoke detector would activate a flashing light thing and a vibrating alarm clock which was pointless as she was up with the sun ... and how busy was the area in terms of traffic. Anyway, I was so focused on her questions that maybe I did not reiterate the simple how many people are coming? LOL

I had one guest hearing impaired who insisted on calling with the operator assist. I was baffled - online reservations require no speaking to one another and so much easier but this was her way. Four calls and I found each more confusing than the one before since we seemed to rehash the same info. I was beginning to think it was all a joke.
But she came and stayed. Was lovely except she had a companion with her that was never mentioned in all our conversations. The rate was the same for one or two people in the room so it was not the cost. Just odd to leave out that detail.
She had so many questions for me ... would I borrow the 'kit' from the chamber of commerce so that the smoke detector would activate a flashing light thing and a vibrating alarm clock which was pointless as she was up with the sun ... and how busy was the area in terms of traffic. Anyway, I was so focused on her questions that maybe I did not reiterate the simple how many people are coming? LOL.
seashanty said:
I had one guest hearing impaired who insisted on calling with the operator assist. I was baffled - online reservations require no speaking to one another and so much easier but this was her way.
True, but there are still some people who prefer not to use online, including those with disabilities. Some are not comfortable using their card online, some older people are not internet savvy yet, some like to hear a "voice." But in this day of ADA awareness, it is good to just go with the flow.

She had so many questions for me ... would I borrow the 'kit' from the chamber of commerce so that the smoke detector would activate a flashing light thing and a vibrating alarm clock which was pointless as she was up with the sun ... and how busy was the area in terms of traffic. Anyway, I was so focused on her questions that maybe I did not reiterate the simple how many people are coming? LOL.
seashanty said:
She had so many questions for me ... would I borrow the 'kit' from the chamber of commerce so that the smoke detector would activate a flashing light thing and a vibrating alarm clock which was pointless as she was up with the sun ... and how busy was the area in terms of traffic. Anyway, I was so focused on her questions that maybe I did not reiterate the simple how many people are coming? LOL
I would bet that your incidence happened a number of years ago. Technology has changed so much in the last several years that the likely hood of a hearing impaired person trying to make a reservation like you described is almost nil. I remember in the old days when we would get reservations that way, but no longer.

we have had various hearing impaired people stay - I simply promise to retrieve them if there is a fire.
Some communication while on site is done via text which is easier for them as well as me as don't have to even come out of their room to ask a question easy peasy - do this for lots of guests so is very normal.

Forever ago, Diva.
So what is your take on the original post? Would someone email and then move to texting to make a reservation rather than use the online booking?
Do guests book via text?

Forever ago, Diva.
So what is your take on the original post? Would someone email and then move to texting to make a reservation rather than use the online booking?
Do guests book via text?.
seashanty said:
Forever ago, Diva.
Do guests book via text?
For us, never. How would they txt to a land line? E-mail yes. I would still have them make the reservation on our reservation system.

I think there are some scams going on. I'm posting about my weird situation in another thread so I don't hi-jack this one, but it is a coincidence that I get on here to look for something like this and the first conversation is about a possible scam. Hmmm.....

Reply. Reservations via website ONLY, full accessible to the hearing impaired..
I do not think this is (ADA) legal in the US, if you take phone reservations in addition to web reservations. [Obviously, some B&Bs are exempt from the ADA.] When you offer a venue, I believe you are supposed to offer the same to the disabled.
The failure of your theory includes the assumption that everyone has access to the Internet.

Must be new scam, with a take on the TTY calls, as Mort said.

If it were real, who in their right mind would provide their CC details via a text msg? Secure online booking is 100x's safer than that!
How would they have known your cell # or that the number you have on your site is your cell?

It's too bad you have to view everything with a healthy dose of skepticism but you have to protect yourself against possibly losing a couple thousand dollars. That first rush of excitement - wow! someone wants to come and stay for 10 days!? Once in a while some random inquiry in broken English (or other language if you're in a different country) really will be a legitimate request. But most of the time it is just a scam. Mostly for 10 days or 8 days with a lot of money at stake.

It's too bad you have to view everything with a healthy dose of skepticism but you have to protect yourself against possibly losing a couple thousand dollars. That first rush of excitement - wow! someone wants to come and stay for 10 days!? Once in a while some random inquiry in broken English (or other language if you're in a different country) really will be a legitimate request. But most of the time it is just a scam. Mostly for 10 days or 8 days with a lot of money at stake..
Correct. How often do people from THIS country (with good English) try to make such odd financial payments, as opposed to people who are supposedly overseas doing this?

Back