Thank Goodness for Plan B!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
Had a windstorm yesterday and power went out for just a few seconds. Some clocks flashed, others didn't. Went to bed last night and flipped the alarm switch but didn't look at the clock.
This morning...just laying in bed...wondering why I woke up so early. Turned on the tv and the news said it was 9:15! My clock said 6:25. Panic time! We deliver breakfast, so I don't have to look presentable, so I pulled on my sweats and ran to the kitchen. Fortunately we only had 1 room to serve...no time to try to figure out what to do, so I went into plan b mode. Ham & cheese omelets. No time for the crisp I was going to do, so I whirled up a smoothie, some has browns (from frozen) and some chicken apple sausages from the freezer. They're fully cooked so I just had to thaw them in the micro, put a little brown on them in the hash brown pan and they were done.
PHEW! Breakfast was delivered at 9:35. I felt like I was on the tv show Chopped! That was a record for me...breakfast in 15 minutes. Oy Vey!

Whew! I'm out of breath just reading it. Oh, how I hate it when I have to go from sleep to fast forward in a blink of an eye. Glad you thought quick.

I love the cheap clock radio I bought a few years ago at Walmart. If the power is on, it always knows the correct time. When you first buy it, you tell it your time zone. After that it's all automatic.
It doesn't rely on a backup battery that may go bad. When it has power, it connects to some radio wave that gives it the correct time from some atomic clock in Colorado. Never have to worry about power outages making me sleep late. Darn it.

I love the cheap clock radio I bought a few years ago at Walmart. If the power is on, it always knows the correct time. When you first buy it, you tell it your time zone. After that it's all automatic.
It doesn't rely on a backup battery that may go bad. When it has power, it connects to some radio wave that gives it the correct time from some atomic clock in Colorado. Never have to worry about power outages making me sleep late. Darn it..
Hmmm....it might be worth getting one of those! I don't know that it would actually connect to whatever radio wave it needs since we barely get any radio reception here. I'll have to look into it.

My clock is a straight battery-powered 'clock'. It doesn't do anything else but show the time. No alarm. And it makes a quiet ticking noise that I love so I know it is running. My real alarm clock is DH who gets up and turns the computer on first thing. If I am bleary-eyed and the computer is on, I know it's time to get up!

Same cold front, different location. Our power was off for over 12 hours. Fortunately, we didn't have guests, so we went out for breakfast. Not that big of a treat. They don't cook as well as DW.

Big winds here too in the Deep South - knocked stuff down on the front porch that I'd covered because the temps dipped down & even blew off the grill cover on the patio in the back yard (normally shielded by the house).
I did that once where I overslept and the battery back up didn't work and went into panic mode! We had several rooms, but thank goodness no special diets and no early risers. I modified a boxed muffin mix for the baked goods and used a back-up menu, too. Twenty minutes from stove to table. :) My appearance after getting ready in less than 5 minutes was not the best, but you do what you gotta do!
Congrats on pulling it off! I think it's one of an innkeeper's worst fears...

Back