Thank You - the guests who did not book

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I slept most of yesterday and last night. Managed most of a cup of tea over the course of the day - I had BETTER be down a couple pounds!! I am on slow spin right now. Made a couple eggs and trying them now. Also made a pot of coffee hpoing to quell my headache.
To answer the question of what do you do when you are sick? I thought about that this morning. Had they arived Thursday night, I would have had DH tell them - I apologize but there will be no breakfast because I do not want to take a chance on giving you what I have. Thank you for choosing the Gillum House. There is no charge. Arriving Friday, Dh could have checked them in and could tell them I am ill and therefore avoiding them for their safety. There will be no breakfast in the morning due to the illness.
Again, I would not charge them as they were not going to get the real Gillum house experience..
gillumhouse said:
To answer the question of what do you do when you are sick? I thought about that this morning. Had they arived Thursday night, I would have had DH tell them - I apologize but there will be no breakfast because I do not want to take a chance on giving you what I have. Thank you for choosing the Gillum House. There is no charge. Arriving Friday, Dh could have checked them in and could tell them I am ill and therefore avoiding them for their safety. There will be no breakfast in the morning due to the illness.
Again, I would not charge them as they were not going to get the real Gillum house experience.
K - I agree they would not be getting the FULL Gillum House experience but they would have gotten what they really needed - a good night's sleep in an wounderful bed, quiet and warm.
If this were me, and it could happen any time, I would have DH explain and either 1) provide a continental - DH can scramble eggs & make toast as well or 2) give them $ back to have breakfast at a near by diner. BUT no they would not get a free night here.
DH does not know how to run the credit card machine. Easier to eat it. He does not cook either besides oatmeal.
gillumhouse said:
DH does not know how to run the credit card machine. Easier to eat it. He does not cook either besides oatmeal.
Credit card info can be copied down and run through later. I guess there are things that could be made up in advance and frozen, just needing some time in the oven on morning of. But there's still coffee, juice, lots more to deal with that may be beyond your DH's capability, or desire.
Arkie, that's exactly what I had to do for a VIP guest who was here to deliver a speech during our slow season. I had to catch a plane to go help out a sibling who had rare emergency open heart surgery and was in ICU and would be discharged home with no one to help out. I had to have everything ready to go for the guests' breakfast. He had to have a refresher course in how to make coffee and how to run the cc machine.
And people wonder why I closed a successful business.... hahahahaha...

I slept most of yesterday and last night. Managed most of a cup of tea over the course of the day - I had BETTER be down a couple pounds!! I am on slow spin right now. Made a couple eggs and trying them now. Also made a pot of coffee hpoing to quell my headache.
Again, I would not charge them as they were not going to get the real Gillum house experience..
gillumhouse said:
Again, I would not charge them as they were not going to get the real Gillum house experience.
Sorry, K, I disagree. You can offer the guests the option of dining out or a discount on the stay, but not free. And, guess what, your husband can be trained even if he doesn't want to be. I have no patience with that kind of attitude from a spouse who is benefiting from the income your work brings in. Not to mention people he can talk to.
I should probably just shut up. It's none of my business.
Alibi, I agree 100%. Unfortunately, some people (read here: spouses) are just not trainable. I speak from experience on that one!
However, I do like the option of simply being up front about being under the weather and offering a discount on the room rate, even though breakfast is technically "complimentary". I would not give the room away.

gillumhouse said:
Sorry, K, I disagree. You can offer the guests the option of dining out or a discount on the stay, but not free. And, guess what, your husband can be trained even if he doesn't want to be. I have no patience with that kind of attitude from a spouse who is benefiting from the income your work brings in. Not to mention people he can talk to.
Alibi, I agree 100%. Unfortunately, some people (read here: spouses) are just not trainable. I speak from experience on that one!
However, I do like the option of simply being up front about being under the weather and offering a discount on the room rate, even though breakfast is technically "complimentary". I would not give the room away.
Samster said:
...I do like the option of simply being up front about being under the weather and offering a discount on the room rate, even though breakfast is technically "complimentary". I would not give the room away.
And perhaps offer a full refund if they want to go somewhere else. It's kind of like the situation a few weeks ago of inns with no power due to the storms. Some people took a full refund and left, others chose to stay and got a partial refund for missing out on the full experience. If it's their choice to stay after hearing the terms, then there's not much to worry about.
Of course, it's a little different with K, in that she's the only place in town so might not be as easy to ask people to drive somewhere else for the night.

gillumhouse said:
Samster said:
...I do like the option of simply being up front about being under the weather and offering a discount on the room rate, even though breakfast is technically "complimentary". I would not give the room away.
And perhaps offer a full refund if they want to go somewhere else. It's kind of like the situation a few weeks ago of inns with no power due to the storms. Some people took a full refund and left, others chose to stay and got a partial refund for missing out on the full experience. If it's their choice to stay after hearing the terms, then there's not much to worry about.
Of course, it's a little different with K, in that she's the only place in town so might not be as easy to ask people to drive somewhere else for the night.
Arkie, knowing K's location, an offer to go to another B&B isn't really an option and don't know if she really would recommend the closest Uncomfort Hotel.
wink_smile.gif

gillumhouse said:
Samster said:
Arkie, knowing K's location, an offer to go to another B&B isn't really an option and don't know if she really would recommend the closest Uncomfort Hotel.
wink_smile.gif

Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
Yes, that's what I said too.

gillumhouse said:
K - I agree they would not be getting the FULL Gillum House experience but they would have gotten what they really needed - a good night's sleep in an wounderful bed, quiet and warm.
If this were me, and it could happen any time, I would have DH explain and either 1) provide a continental - DH can scramble eggs & make toast as well or 2) give them $ back to have breakfast at a near by diner. BUT no they would not get a free night here.
gillumhouse said:
Credit card info can be copied down and run through later. I guess there are things that could be made up in advance and frozen, just needing some time in the oven on morning of. But there's still coffee, juice, lots more to deal with that may be beyond your DH's capability, or desire.
Arkansawyer said:
gillumhouse said:
If I have a commitment and have to leave before breakfast, I have everything ready for a breakfast that is put in oven and serve. DH can do that. But the way I was yesterday? It was no way Jose - the room refused to stop so I could get off. There are limits to what DH can do. He was great at fixing things, keeping the yard neat, and generally helping out, up to a point even after he went to one crutch. Now he is using 2 crutches thanks to post-polio syndrome and at 71 is not going to be learning too much. The stuff he got during his 6-way and then his femeral artery bypass has affected his short term memory also.
My DH is much more worthwhile sitting at this drawing board doing his paintings that are now selling in 4 figures. WOOHOO!!

K how you feeling now? What a difference a day makes, aye.
I am feeling human again today. I called the man who replaces me at Chapel and he will cover. I have been at the computer chatting here and voting for my city in the latest Readers Digest voting.
It feels like a waste because you have to enter a capcha for every vote and some cities are already in the thousands - but I do not know how to give up. We need $100k to match a grant of 100k for our band shell. Winning even some of this pot would help a lot.
The coffee helped my head - and the 3 night rez I just took for over Thanksgiving (not with the dinner - YEA!!) helps a lot also. She chose flannel from the menu. I will be back to normal by tomorrow - have inn-coming Monday night. The first of my horse people for the season.
Thank you for asking. I am thankful it is rare for me to get sick!

Back