Thank You - the guests who did not book

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
It is now 7 PM. I am so grateful to those people who could have booked this weekend and did not. For the first time in ages, Iwoke up to a spinning room and knowing this was NOT going to be a pleasant day. All I can say is thank goodness we keep a bucket in the bathroom. About 2 PM I was able to handle a few sips of tea and about 5 PM DH fixed me some mashed potatoes. So far so good. I have checked e-mail, checked in here, and am now returning to my warm (e-blanket) bed. No guests thank goodness!!

Better not to have to deal with guests when you're really under the weather. Hope you feel better soon!

Sometimes the reservation gods are looking out for us even though it may not feel like that at the time. Get better soon!

What does a B&B owner do if you need a sick day? Or a trip to the ER? Or any other emergencies?

What does a B&B owner do if you need a sick day? Or a trip to the ER? Or any other emergencies?.
degrandreves said:
What does a B&B owner do if you need a sick day? Or a trip to the ER? Or any other emergencies?
You check in the guests, make sure they have what they need, and get sick later.
RIki

Kath,
I was just reading your tea and coffee menus again, and thinking of your sheet menu, and feeling sorry for your competition. They don't have a chance against what you offer! Get well soon!

I slept most of yesterday and last night. Managed most of a cup of tea over the course of the day - I had BETTER be down a couple pounds!! I am on slow spin right now. Made a couple eggs and trying them now. Also made a pot of coffee hpoing to quell my headache.
To answer the question of what do you do when you are sick? I thought about that this morning. Had they arived Thursday night, I would have had DH tell them - I apologize but there will be no breakfast because I do not want to take a chance on giving you what I have. Thank you for choosing the Gillum House. There is no charge. Arriving Friday, Dh could have checked them in and could tell them I am ill and therefore avoiding them for their safety. There will be no breakfast in the morning due to the illness.
Again, I would not charge them as they were not going to get the real Gillum house experience.

Kath,
I was just reading your tea and coffee menus again, and thinking of your sheet menu, and feeling sorry for your competition. They don't have a chance against what you offer! Get well soon!.
Arkansawyer said:
Kath, I was just reading your tea and coffee menus again, and thinking of your sheet menu, and feeling sorry for your competition. They don't have a chance against what you offer! Get well soon!
Thank you, Arkie. I wish the traveling public would read it and be impressed. And yes, I am 80% better today. At least the room is not whirling. And so far, I am not clinging.....

What does a B&B owner do if you need a sick day? Or a trip to the ER? Or any other emergencies?.
See you are starting to get it, these are the questions to ask and think about. when we were doing the basement I slammed my finger in the car door nail went completely back, world span round however had to supervise the electrician before I could go to A&E by then was feeling really sick and then had to que behind all the slip trip and fall people as it was january and everyone had fallen on the ice so the queue for the xray was a mile long. I also keep in extra strength cold stuff and everything else just in case, I am at an advantage as I am big enough at 12 rooms to support a chamber maid which means I can struggle through breakfast and then crash out when necessary. I was brought up in the hotel tradition of the show must go on. Other emergencies you deal with as an when ie my neighbour B&B's father died suddenly and the mother was beside herself so my friends had to go to India (from the UK) to sort everything out at very short notice. She rang all the guests and said room only and I dealt with checking them in and out and we managed to muddle through (it was a very busy conference and there was no way we could book them out) Luckily there seems to be a lot of people in the world who would like to have a go at doing B&B so you have to collect a few to stand in during emergencies. I have a house I rent out and was doubly gutted to see the last tennants go as they would often sit in for me on an evening if we wanted to go out.
sad_smile.gif

degrandreves said:
B&B owners don't get sick days. You get 'near death' days, but you do not get off for colds, flu, sprains, back aches, migraines. That's the diff between being the owner and the employee.

I slept most of yesterday and last night. Managed most of a cup of tea over the course of the day - I had BETTER be down a couple pounds!! I am on slow spin right now. Made a couple eggs and trying them now. Also made a pot of coffee hpoing to quell my headache.
To answer the question of what do you do when you are sick? I thought about that this morning. Had they arived Thursday night, I would have had DH tell them - I apologize but there will be no breakfast because I do not want to take a chance on giving you what I have. Thank you for choosing the Gillum House. There is no charge. Arriving Friday, Dh could have checked them in and could tell them I am ill and therefore avoiding them for their safety. There will be no breakfast in the morning due to the illness.
Again, I would not charge them as they were not going to get the real Gillum house experience..
gillumhouse said:
Again, I would not charge them as they were not going to get the real Gillum house experience.
K - I agree they would not be getting the FULL Gillum House experience but they would have gotten what they really needed - a good night's sleep in an wounderful bed, quiet and warm.
If this were me, and it could happen any time, I would have DH explain and either 1) provide a continental - DH can scramble eggs & make toast as well or 2) give them $ back to have breakfast at a near by diner. BUT no they would not get a free night here.

Try to have a back up plan but not alot you can do unless you train someone to fill in for you. Or like me..have friends who are now retired innkeepers near by and would pitch in for friends.

Again, I would not charge them as they were not going to get the real Gillum house experience..
gillumhouse said:
K - I agree they would not be getting the FULL Gillum House experience but they would have gotten what they really needed - a good night's sleep in an wounderful bed, quiet and warm.
If this were me, and it could happen any time, I would have DH explain and either 1) provide a continental - DH can scramble eggs & make toast as well or 2) give them $ back to have breakfast at a near by diner. BUT no they would not get a free night here.
DH does not know how to run the credit card machine. Easier to eat it. He does not cook either besides oatmeal.

gillumhouse said:
DH does not know how to run the credit card machine. Easier to eat it. He does not cook either besides oatmeal.
gillumhouse said:
Credit card info can be copied down and run through later. I guess there are things that could be made up in advance and frozen, just needing some time in the oven on morning of. But there's still coffee, juice, lots more to deal with that may be beyond your DH's capability, or desire.

degrandreves said:
We have BTDT- husband in hospital for 4 days. He, the cook, out of commission for 2 solid weeks, then limited for 2 more weeks. I called in reinforcements from our family. Full house for 4 straight nights and every weekend while he was recuperating in the spare bedroom, spaced out most of the time. So, he got no attention at all. Might as well have come home to an empty house except I would leave him a plate of food in the morning after breakfast was over.
Then he had heart surgery. The same day my aunt died.
I ended up in the ER on our most popular holiday weekend. The way that works is you get dropped off at the door and then you call when they release you. The spouse goes home to handle the guests.
We've missed 3 weddings. 2 of our grandkids we saw a month after they were born. So, we're no help to new moms at all. The latest grandkid was in the NICU and spouse was 'given leave' to go to another state to be there 'in case'. I didn't meet that grandkid until he was 3 months old.
I've driven 6 hours each way 1/week for 3 weeks to help my mom while she was in the hospital.
The list goes on and on. You always hope nothing happens 'in season' but babies will be born and relatives will die and spouses will get sick.
You need 'Plan B' which is finding someone you trust to take over at a moment's notice.

gillumhouse said:
Sorry, K, I disagree. You can offer the guests the option of dining out or a discount on the stay, but not free. And, guess what, your husband can be trained even if he doesn't want to be. I have no patience with that kind of attitude from a spouse who is benefiting from the income your work brings in. Not to mention people he can talk to.
I should probably just shut up. It's none of my business.

Back