Thank you to the SOTSK!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Thanks! Card arrived today! You know who you are, even if I don't...

This is not the first time someone has used this acronym. What does "SOTSK" stand for?

This is not the first time someone has used this acronym. What does "SOTSK" stand for?.
penelope said:
This is not the first time someone has used this acronym. What does "SOTSK" stand for?
"Sisters of the shiny knees"
You'll have to ask GillumHouse for more details...

This is not the first time someone has used this acronym. What does "SOTSK" stand for?.
Sisters of the Shiny Knees. It is an e-mail group of people - some I do not even know that are known to some of the others - who reach up on the shelf and pull down the bottle of knee polish and buff as they hit their knees in prayer. Trust me, this group not only knows what they are doing, they have a wonderful success rate.
We do not always pray for cure or whatever is asked - sometimes it is just for strength to cope or for comfort. One of the group does "acts of random kindness" in the name of the Sisterhood when she sees a need. Often it is just a card to say we are thinking of you or of encouragement. I was the recipient of a lovely prayer shawl last year when my husband had a 6-way bypass.

Sisters of the Shiny Knees. It is an e-mail group of people - some I do not even know that are known to some of the others - who reach up on the shelf and pull down the bottle of knee polish and buff as they hit their knees in prayer. Trust me, this group not only knows what they are doing, they have a wonderful success rate.
We do not always pray for cure or whatever is asked - sometimes it is just for strength to cope or for comfort. One of the group does "acts of random kindness" in the name of the Sisterhood when she sees a need. Often it is just a card to say we are thinking of you or of encouragement. I was the recipient of a lovely prayer shawl last year when my husband had a 6-way bypass.
gillumhouse said:
Yup, it was the 'random acts' one that struck...the back of the envelope had that quote on it.

What a neat thing!
teeth_smile.gif

These are humble people whose acts are incredibly humbling and uplifting for the recipients. They have brought me to speechless tears (happy) multiple times.
regular_smile.gif

gillumhouse said:
I am reading the final book of The Mitford Series (bestselling author Jan Karon) a small town series which is actually based on BLOWING ROCK, NC if anyone has not read these books.
The main character is an Anglican Priest named Father Timothy Kavanaugh. Throughout the series - as the highs and lows ocur in his life he has a famous line he always says - which I finally had to look up. When a tragedy occurred, or a remarkable miracle happened - he would say "Pray the prayer that never fails."
What is the prayer that never fails? That God's Will be done. So foxhole prayers or pleading for healing is what we want but not what is always going to happen. The Bible says it rains on the just and the injust. We all go through hard times - it is not an if, it is a WHEN.
So all that to say, thank you sotsk's for what you do, touching people in ways you will never know. If anyone likes books on small town quirky characters - to which I am addicted - this is a great series.
teeth_smile.gif

gillumhouse said:
I am reading the final book of The Mitford Series (bestselling author Jan Karon) a small town series which is actually based on BLOWING ROCK, NC if anyone has not read these books.
The main character is an Anglican Priest named Father Timothy Kavanaugh. Throughout the series - as the highs and lows ocur in his life he has a famous line he always says - which I finally had to look up. When a tragedy occurred, or a remarkable miracle happened - he would say "Pray the prayer that never fails."
What is the prayer that never fails? That God's Will be done. So foxhole prayers or pleading for healing is what we want but not what is always going to happen. The Bible says it rains on the just and the injust. We all go through hard times - it is not an if, it is a WHEN.
So all that to say, thank you sotsk's for what you do, touching people in ways you will never know. If anyone likes books on small town quirky characters - to which I am addicted - this is a great series.
teeth_smile.gif

As a firm believer in "GOD's WILL" (with a daughter who is a cop in the ghetto on graveyard shift and a grandson in the Navy I have to be) my life is an example of the bad thing/good thing.
DH's first wife died - before her 30th birthday - leaving him with 5 kids. Definitely a Bad Thing. So he meets me - GOOD Thing (unless you ask some of her relatives) for both of us. There is a reason for everything and everything has a reason. I personally am blessed with having this group as part of my life. The name is tongue in cheek, but what they do is not.

gillumhouse said:
teeth_smile.gif

I like those books as well.

gillumhouse said:
teeth_smile.gif

As a firm believer in "GOD's WILL" (with a daughter who is a cop in the ghetto on graveyard shift and a grandson in the Navy I have to be) my life is an example of the bad thing/good thing.
DH's first wife died - before her 30th birthday - leaving him with 5 kids. Definitely a Bad Thing. So he meets me - GOOD Thing (unless you ask some of her relatives) for both of us. There is a reason for everything and everything has a reason. I personally am blessed with having this group as part of my life. The name is tongue in cheek, but what they do is not.
I am sorry if this seems forward, but could you put my family and me on the prayer list? I would really appreciate it.
To me, prayer is supposed to be my first choice, but sometimes it feels like I make it my last resort.
Thank you

gillumhouse said:
teeth_smile.gif

Bree said:
Have you been to Blowing Rock when you visited NC Bree? It is fairly close to the book, amazingly enough. I went there 3 years ago this week and hadn't read any of them yet. Now I need to go again and revisit.

gillumhouse said:
teeth_smile.gif

I am sorry if this seems forward, but could you put my family and me on the prayer list? I would really appreciate it.
To me, prayer is supposed to be my first choice, but sometimes it feels like I make it my last resort.
Thank you
Done deal. Not forward at all. Send me an e-mail offline any time you need the Sisters to add you when they do their polishing daily.

gillumhouse said:
teeth_smile.gif

Bree said:
Have you been to Blowing Rock when you visited NC Bree? It is fairly close to the book, amazingly enough. I went there 3 years ago this week and hadn't read any of them yet. Now I need to go again and revisit.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Charlotte. That was it. Except for the week we went to Garden City. And a mad dash thru Hickory for furniture.

gillumhouse said:
teeth_smile.gif

Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Charlotte. That was it. Except for the week we went to Garden City. And a mad dash thru Hickory for furniture.
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
My guests are flying out of CHAR today.

Back