Thanks for organizing the Vets Day program!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
We had a great crowd here last night. Thank you K for organizing this! Thanks J and J for keeping the website going! Thanks to everyone who had rooms available. Our crowd loved it. They said there were lots of Vets in town last night, they were running into them everywhere.

Thank goodness for a positive story!! Please post it on the PAII forum as we are seeing all the naysayers - the usual suspects - come out now.

That is great. Sorry to hear that there are some naysayers out there. Sure...things don't always go as expected...this was a first time thing.. I would guess that 98% are thrilled...poo poo on the criers.

Thank goodness for a positive story!! Please post it on the PAII forum as we are seeing all the naysayers - the usual suspects - come out now..
Ours had a blast as well, Monticello gave us tickets for them, and they were very sweet people.
RIki

Thank goodness for a positive story!! Please post it on the PAII forum as we are seeing all the naysayers - the usual suspects - come out now..
Ours had a blast as well, Monticello gave us tickets for them, and they were very sweet people.
RIki
Oh that was an added treat! So glad they did that. Did you have to ask? Or did they offer to all the B& B's who hosted vets??? I hope the media will do a follow up story all over the country...that would be so nice. Talking to the vets at or after their stay.

In our local association of 41 B&B's, over 30 participated. Total of donated room nights - 105 for a value over $13,500. However, because the night was 'free' (and we're still in the learing stages) many innmates did not take CC#'s. As a result, we had many cancellations, but fortunately some were able to fill last minute. What has surprised me, though, has been the number of reports I'm seeing of no-shows. Yes, the room was free, but it was reserved for YOU and if YOU don't use it and don't tell us that you won't be using it, then someone else misses out on the opportunity. Just plain rude!

RIki
Oh that was an added treat! So glad they did that. Did you have to ask? Or did they offer to all the B& B's who hosted vets??? I hope the media will do a follow up story all over the country...that would be so nice. Talking to the vets at or after their stay.
I asked them. I figured what did I have to lose? They were great and just said if they were not used to return them.
RIki

In our local association of 41 B&B's, over 30 participated. Total of donated room nights - 105 for a value over $13,500. However, because the night was 'free' (and we're still in the learing stages) many innmates did not take CC#'s. As a result, we had many cancellations, but fortunately some were able to fill last minute. What has surprised me, though, has been the number of reports I'm seeing of no-shows. Yes, the room was free, but it was reserved for YOU and if YOU don't use it and don't tell us that you won't be using it, then someone else misses out on the opportunity. Just plain rude!.
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Yes, the room was free, but it was reserved for YOU and if YOU don't use it and don't tell us that you won't be using it, then someone else misses out on the opportunity. Just plain rude!
Yes, rude for not calling. Taking a CC#? What for? Are you going to charge them if they don't show?
Learning experience for everyone. I'm sure we'll all tweak things next year. With the exception of one room, none of our guests had ever been to a B&B before. It was totally new to them, something they never would have tried, may never try again, but it got them out here to see what it was about.
Lets give them all the benefit of the doubt and say they just didn't know how it worked. Most of them may have never even stayed in a hotel without their parents, they were that young. Hopefully, we gave them a small taste of what it's like to find home comforts when their lives are pretty stressed. Our active duty guests are far away from their homes, families and what they are used to. It was a brief respite for them.

Our B&B group got free dinners for the vets at local restaurants. I'm going to stop in later on to see how that went. The guests loved it so we hope the restaurants feel the same way.
I know there were a fair number of cancellations and no shows all over the place. So, we need to rethink a few things and maybe add some verbiage to the website about cancellations and no shows.
Still, I think it worked very well.

In our local association of 41 B&B's, over 30 participated. Total of donated room nights - 105 for a value over $13,500. However, because the night was 'free' (and we're still in the learing stages) many innmates did not take CC#'s. As a result, we had many cancellations, but fortunately some were able to fill last minute. What has surprised me, though, has been the number of reports I'm seeing of no-shows. Yes, the room was free, but it was reserved for YOU and if YOU don't use it and don't tell us that you won't be using it, then someone else misses out on the opportunity. Just plain rude!.
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Yes, the room was free, but it was reserved for YOU and if YOU don't use it and don't tell us that you won't be using it, then someone else misses out on the opportunity. Just plain rude!
Yes, rude for not calling. Taking a CC#? What for? Are you going to charge them if they don't show?
Learning experience for everyone. I'm sure we'll all tweak things next year. With the exception of one room, none of our guests had ever been to a B&B before. It was totally new to them, something they never would have tried, may never try again, but it got them out here to see what it was about.
Lets give them all the benefit of the doubt and say they just didn't know how it worked. Most of them may have never even stayed in a hotel without their parents, they were that young. Hopefully, we gave them a small taste of what it's like to find home comforts when their lives are pretty stressed. Our active duty guests are far away from their homes, families and what they are used to. It was a brief respite for them.
I had them fill out the regular reservation form on Webervations, telling them that their card would not be charged. Maybe this installed in them that they were actually making a RESERVATION. I did this only in case of damage (charge: extra cleaning, I know, I know the cc cards don't allow charges for damage, but I have gotten away with an "extra cleaning" fee.
RIki

We really had one of the nicest crowds ever. We actually opened last night just for this event. Really glad I did.

Aussie Innkeeper said:
Morticia said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
I think that taking their credit card and telling them if they are a no show, they will be charged for the room is a good solution. No, they were not paying for that room, but that room DOES have a value. If people knew they would be responsible if they didn't show, I think you'd have far less problems. Also, a good point was made about having the number in case of damage, etc.

If you have blogged this event at your inn, please provide a link if you wish (I have seen a couple so far today and it is really nice!)

All four of our rooms showed and we enjoyed their company - Breakfast was well received. One wife tricked her husband into coming... told him she had to go to a church meeting in this town. So when he got here, he still didn't know what was going on. When we told him, he was pleasantly surprised. Some of the local businesses gave us some promo things to give them. I put those in a large white bag with red, white and blue tissue paper and had that on the bed for them when they checked in.
It was a great experience and looking forward to doing again!

All four of our rooms showed and we enjoyed their company - Breakfast was well received. One wife tricked her husband into coming... told him she had to go to a church meeting in this town. So when he got here, he still didn't know what was going on. When we told him, he was pleasantly surprised. Some of the local businesses gave us some promo things to give them. I put those in a large white bag with red, white and blue tissue paper and had that on the bed for them when they checked in.
It was a great experience and looking forward to doing again!.
Nice idea to have local giveaway items!

One of mine cancelled because he had to have surgery. My other room was a National Guard in the engineers who just got back from Iraq. They had never been to a B & B before.
When I took them to the room, I told her that this was a 2-pronged thank you. This also allowed us to thank the spouses for what they did on the homefront so their military person could do what was needed without worrying about home. HE wrote in the comment book - and thanked me for saying that to his wife.
He said the guys at work asked him why he was coming here (it is 20 minutes from where they live) and he told them because it was close and he could.
They loved the pretzels. I do believe we have some more B & B converts!
I thank all of you for participating - it not have happened without the numbers involved. (Not to harp on it, but this is an example of WHY PAII needs you to be members. 1 B & B was "How nice." 900 B & Bs was "WOW!")

We had a great time too. I put the flag out and red, white and blue baloons out front. I placed thank you card and a gift bag of candy on the pillows.
Everyone had a great time.
the only 'bummer' we had was one guest who reserved, was late so I called at 8pm. she said oh yes, we are coming, we are running 'a little late' we should be there in an hour or hour and half! When we hung up that sick feeling I suddenly felt was immediately identified; the voice on the other end was the same one who was here two months ago and was extreemly loud, slamming doors etc, and after they left I found her make up poured all over all the towles and her maskara rubbed into everything and she had the gull to go to TA and leave a negative review because i reminded her of the 'quiet time' hours!
You guessed it, she DELIBERATELY never showed up (thank goodness, she would have been turned away). But how RUDE and SELFISH!!!! She took away a gift that was meant for good for someone! So we had a room left empty that could have been used! We had to turn away several people who called and wanted to stay for the B&Bforvets! Like I said: SELFISH!!! oh and ... Immature!!!!!

Just wanna say, she had "him" book the room with a different last name, A different one than she was with two months ago!

Back