Thanks For the Berry Recipe

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Staff member
Reaction score
I hit it big at the produce store today!!! 18 of those little boxes of huge blackberries for $9. We went through them and very few hit the garbage container. Got 4 pint freezer bags of the best ones in the freezer and am ablout to print up the blackberry sauce recipe for the ones not good enough to freeze. Looks like pancakes are on the menu for my biker couples Thursday morning. They can choose between blackberry sauce or WV maple syrup - or both!

that sounds so good-love it when good produce hits your hands-it makes for a good thing! and sounds yummy!

We have a lot of blackberry vines and I love to use the fresh berries for breakfast. Here's my favorite way to serve blackberries. I've never measured the ingredients, so pardon the guesstimates! The amounts below will make 4
Blackberry Brulee
  • In a small ramekin, fill 3/4 full with fresh washed blackberries.
  • In a separate bowl, mix about 1 cup sour cream with about 1 Tbl. good vanilla.
  • Spread the sourcream/vanilla mixture over the berries, enough to cover completely (1/4 cup?).
  • Take a handful of brown sugar and press it on top of the sour cream mixture. It takes a lot of brown sugar. You don't want the moisture to penetrate through.
  • Use a kitchen torch or if you're like me, I use a regular propane torch and carefully brown the sugar. If it starts to flame, just blow it out. You want all the top to be torched, just like a brulee. The sugar will harden.
This has to be done within 10 minutes of serving or the top starts to soften. If you don't have a propane torch, you can put them under a broiler, but it doesn't brulee them as evenly.

We have a lot of blackberry vines and I love to use the fresh berries for breakfast. Here's my favorite way to serve blackberries. I've never measured the ingredients, so pardon the guesstimates! The amounts below will make 4
Blackberry Brulee
  • In a separate bowl, mix about 1 cup sour cream with about 1 Tbl. good vanilla.
  • Spread the sourcream/vanilla mixture over the berries, enough to cover completely (1/4 cup?).
  • Take a handful of brown sugar and press it on top of the sour cream mixture. It takes a lot of brown sugar. You don't want the moisture to penetrate through.
  • Use a kitchen torch or if you're like me, I use a regular propane torch and carefully brown the sugar. If it starts to flame, just blow it out. You want all the top to be torched, just like a brulee. The sugar will harden.
This has to be done within 10 minutes of serving or the top starts to soften. If you don't have a propane torch, you can put them under a broiler, but it doesn't brulee them as evenly..
Woohoo! I am looking for recipes to take with me on my interview - and to make while there that week. This sounds great! The area is known for huckleberries so I am thiinking I could substitute them for the blackberries. Think I'll try it out on D tonight with some fresh strawberries I have. ?? strawberries pale in taste to blackberries so I don't know if they will do quite as well - but it will let me know if I can pull it off to make a lasting impression with this or not. Thanks for posting!!

Blackberry Brulee
This has to be done within 10 minutes of serving or the top starts to soften. If you don't have a propane torch, you can put them under a broiler, but it doesn't brulee them as evenly..
Woohoo! I am looking for recipes to take with me on my interview - and to make while there that week. This sounds great! The area is known for huckleberries so I am thiinking I could substitute them for the blackberries. Think I'll try it out on D tonight with some fresh strawberries I have. ?? strawberries pale in taste to blackberries so I don't know if they will do quite as well - but it will let me know if I can pull it off to make a lasting impression with this or not. Thanks for posting!!
I tried this same recipe with raspberries and didn't like it. It might have something to do with the tartness factor. Strawberries will probably make it too sweet. The brown sugar on top makes it very sweet and you need some real tartness to offset it.
Hey, give it a try and let us know!

Back