Thanks for the Forum--I hope I belong!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethbay

Reaction score
Hi, and again, thanks for having such a forum. I read a few posts before joining and feel that this site will be an invaluable resource for many reasons.
With that said, I'm not sure that I totally belong. My SO and I will be embarking on a new career soon, going from restauranteurs to caretakers for an upscale, members-only hunting club. I call it "A B&B for Boys". What I'm hoping to find here are topics that address some of the day-to-day concerns I'm presuming will arise. In addition, while I consider myself a creative chef, I know there are many more things I could add to my repertoire. I'm also big on thrift and profit v. loss, so perhaps I can help in that area. I certainly don't want to intrude however, and I'm sure I will not be able to add as much as most of you, but I do hope to be welcomed. If you would like to point me in a different direction, or you feel there are certain posts or areas that would be of value to me, I would appreciate that.
Otherwise, thanks for letting me lurk and participate.
~Beth

Hey Beth! Are you kidding? This is the place! It is full of lively discussion on all aspects of running a lodging establishment.
Start threads, comment, ask questions and you will get all sorts of answers. I had been on other forums where noone answered your dang questions! You will find an over abundance of answers here to help/assist you with your journey!
A B&B for boys sounds very upscale - we have some hunting clubs with cabins here and they are very rustic. We also have one not too far from us (and if this is where you are going no need to comment, but it is fairly new - http://www.primland.com/
All the best!

welcome.gif

Wow my DH will want to know wher eyou are located! He loves hunting lodges etc.
Riki

Welcome. You will have a different perspective - and that is very good! Being new you have not had time to get set in ways and will have something else to say.

hello. joining the welcoming committee ...
welcome.gif

we are all different here ... check the links at the bottom of the page ... lots of traditional b&b's, but there is also a 'bed and boat' setup, cabins, yerts (is that how you spell it?) ... at least one retired innkeeper, an on again off again innkeeper (this would be me).
maybe it is time to expand the description of who and what this forum is about. we are all about hospitality ... and sharing strategies ... and learning from each other.
some of the posts are true 'vents' ... don't let them frighten you. those posts are safe havens for complaining anonymously because we put on our innkeeper smile to the outside world.
jump in!

welcome.gif
Thanks for introducing yourself and good luck on your new venture! I think this is a great place for your questions. You will get many different opinions and that is usually very helpful for coming to a good solution. It's a friendly bunch, so don't be shy!

You certainly belong here. Read and ask questions at will. Even if you bring up something that is new to you but we've beat it to death a few times over the years, we can usually point to the thread(s) where it came up....and sometimes things change so it is good to revisit them.
Since you have a bit of a different focus (only slightly) I would encourage you to put something in your profile that mentions your intent or focus so when this particular thread is long burried or forgotten, people can still find your particular background/niche.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am really looking forward to your input as well as contributing what I can. As a lover of B&Bs, I can at LEAST offer my perspective as a guest! LOL
Off to my first "real" post!

:welcome:
We (or at least I) always appreciate a guest's perspective on things.
=)
Kk.

Any funny or memorable guest experiences you have had, please feel free to share. I get a kick out of asking guests that, they typically never remember the name of the place but can remember all the details thereafter.
confused_smile.gif

welcome.gif

I think someone else is doing something similar. I think one thing they did was 'you catch it, we cook it' which sounds pretty good.
I had friends who were caretakers in a similar situation altho they were not doing any of the cooking. They did all the housekeeping and groundskeeping. Have fun with it!

Welcome!! I'm the "bed & boat"! LOL I haven't posted much lately...I barely have time these days to check in and quickly look to see what I've missed, and I was without internet service for the first 6 weeks after our move to the new location in The Grove. I've been up to my ears in "work", trying to accomplish a lot of stuff before the rainy season set in (which arrived with a wicked vengeance!). I guess I've done all the fiberglass work and painting I'm going to get done this year. Nothing prettier than a fresh coat of paint on the old girl!
Here, you'll find an abundance of great info about running an inn, dealing with guests, policies, etc. You can even get some "technical" support from some of our computer scholars, if you do your own website work. I'm beyond understanding that stuff now that FrontPage is gone. I'm dreading having to start from scratch again. :(
Also, check out the recipes here and pick up a few...and leave a few of your own, too. I just made an incredible Chocolate Ganache Cake over the Memorial Day weekend and it was a big hit with all the guests. I'll have to put that one in the recipe collection for the rest of you.

Welcome!! I'm the "bed & boat"! LOL I haven't posted much lately...I barely have time these days to check in and quickly look to see what I've missed, and I was without internet service for the first 6 weeks after our move to the new location in The Grove. I've been up to my ears in "work", trying to accomplish a lot of stuff before the rainy season set in (which arrived with a wicked vengeance!). I guess I've done all the fiberglass work and painting I'm going to get done this year. Nothing prettier than a fresh coat of paint on the old girl!
Here, you'll find an abundance of great info about running an inn, dealing with guests, policies, etc. You can even get some "technical" support from some of our computer scholars, if you do your own website work. I'm beyond understanding that stuff now that FrontPage is gone. I'm dreading having to start from scratch again. :(
Also, check out the recipes here and pick up a few...and leave a few of your own, too. I just made an incredible Chocolate Ganache Cake over the Memorial Day weekend and it was a big hit with all the guests. I'll have to put that one in the recipe collection for the rest of you..
Sanctuary in Miami said:
I just made an incredible Chocolate Ganache Cake over the Memorial Day weekend and it was a big hit with all the guests. I'll have to put that one in the recipe collection for the rest of you.
Yes, please!!!
=)
Kk.

Also, check out the recipes here and pick up a few...and leave a few of your own, too. I just made an incredible Chocolate Ganache Cake over the Memorial Day weekend and it was a big hit with all the guests. I'll have to put that one in the recipe collection for the rest of you..
Sanctuary in Miami said:
I just made an incredible Chocolate Ganache Cake over the Memorial Day weekend and it was a big hit with all the guests. I'll have to put that one in the recipe collection for the rest of you.
Yes, please!!!
=)
Kk.
welcome.gif
Howdy and welcome!

Welcome!
Would love you to share some of your food and service ideas. We are finding in our area that its a LOT about the food. Our tiny county has a thriving farmer's market where you can find pastured beef, pork, boer goat, geese and chickens, as well as a great variety of vegetables and greens you won't find at S@#!way! Our guests of two days ago ate ___ a n_ e n t i r e_ p i e_ after their evening walk. (ah youth!)
Looking forward to your comments
-KathleenM

Back