That’s ridiculous! Hotels are charging even more for what should be free

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It may get to the point where anyone who needs internet service will buy their own device and carry it with them. It still does not make the guest see the B&B down the street as a better deal.

I think they charge this because they can, most of these hotel guests are business and must have it so they pay.
That was the big gripe I saw on priceline. DH went to a conference near Chapel Hill and the hotel that was holding the conference was nickel and diming every guest, because they could. So the basic room was way way more than anticipated.
So someone mentioned priceline, I went there and found that was the big complaint, you do not know if you will have to pay for wifi at any of the hotels, and in fact many charged $20 per day for internet use. So that is where they make up the discount for selling these rooms on priceline.

It may get to the point where anyone who needs internet service will buy their own device and carry it with them. It still does not make the guest see the B&B down the street as a better deal..
Alibi Ike said:
It may get to the point where anyone who needs internet service will buy their own device and carry it with them. It still does not make the guest see the B&B down the street as a better deal.
I have one of those devices. It actually is the size of a credit card and throws out a wi-fi signal. Anywhere there is a cell signal, I can log on. Works great and I would never pay for the ridiculous charges hotels have.

I think they charge this because they can, most of these hotel guests are business and must have it so they pay.
That was the big gripe I saw on priceline. DH went to a conference near Chapel Hill and the hotel that was holding the conference was nickel and diming every guest, because they could. So the basic room was way way more than anticipated.
So someone mentioned priceline, I went there and found that was the big complaint, you do not know if you will have to pay for wifi at any of the hotels, and in fact many charged $20 per day for internet use. So that is where they make up the discount for selling these rooms on priceline..
I've noticed that most of the higher end hotels are still charging for Internet access, while the newer (and actually very nice) "economy" brands provide it for free. A lot of times business travelers using their reward program cards and such at the big chain hotels and at conferences don't care if there's a charge for Internet access since they're expensing the trip on the company's dime. Hotels know this, so it's what the market will bear.

I do think it will come where the B&B industry will follow and do the add on fees...Not all establishments....destination places would be the first.
Myself.......for decades I had provided service that was all inclusive....4 years ago I had to decide on whether to do rate increase.....or forgo any increase. Remove a couple things from the all inclusive, making those services an add on for a fee.
It has resulted in significant revenue....and didn't cause a stir in my customer base...
The result is that I have not changed pricing for a few years. Making me more competitive....while not taking any losses due to increased operating costs.
Don't dismiss the option for add on fees.......I know, I know.....I know what you all are thinking.........I did to, for many years.........at what point does one increase room rates before it detracts guests?
For example......your market location has 3 competing facilities.....due to operating costs all 3 have to make rate adjustments.....2 increase the room rates....the other takes the add on fee approach, keeping the room rate the same.........what would be the prospective guests first option be ?

I agree sith Samster. Business clients are not putting out those dollars themselves, it is their companies. BUT, many companies have started putting a limit on daily expenses which could change what hotels charge.
Additionally, Ike is correct, none of this will turn people to B&B's unless they are wanting to experience the difference especially business guests.

With a business guest, do you find that companies balk at the breakfast? When I worked for a University, if we stayed at a B&B, the owner had to separate the bill into room and breakfast. Most owners didn't mind writing it separately b/c they still got paid the full price. (University would only pay $70 for the room, so it looked like we paid $50 for breakfast!)
Obviously, inclusive vs add-ons in a personal thing. I prefer inclusive because if I get caught up in the nickel & dime thing I start getting frustrated. But, I know plenty who know what they want and don't want to pay for things they don't care for. I'll have to decide which way to go on that.

With a business guest, do you find that companies balk at the breakfast? When I worked for a University, if we stayed at a B&B, the owner had to separate the bill into room and breakfast. Most owners didn't mind writing it separately b/c they still got paid the full price. (University would only pay $70 for the room, so it looked like we paid $50 for breakfast!)
Obviously, inclusive vs add-ons in a personal thing. I prefer inclusive because if I get caught up in the nickel & dime thing I start getting frustrated. But, I know plenty who know what they want and don't want to pay for things they don't care for. I'll have to decide which way to go on that..
We haven't had anyone ask for a price breakdown on the room + meal. If ever we do, I'm going to go the whole route- food, room, parking, wireless, coffee service- in other words, break out everything that is included in the price of the room. Besides which, breakfast is complimentary, free. Eat it or don't. We don't reduce prices for folks not eating, we don't raise prices for folks who ask for seconds, it's free. Included in the price like all the other stuff.
Which brings up another discounting request, 'We won't be eating breakfast, we don't want to pay for it, take it out of the room price.' Um, no. Most people would be stunned anyway, they're expecting that I'd be taking out the price of a breakfast at a hotel (around $20 + tax + tip) and I'd probably deduct $3 because I'd only deduct raw materials given I don't have any overhead to cover like waitstaff, cooks, busers, etc.

Obviously, inclusive vs add-ons in a personal thing. I prefer inclusive because if I get caught up in the nickel & dime thing I start getting frustrated. But, I know plenty who know what they want and don't want to pay for things they don't care for. I'll have to decide which way to go on that..
I have never been asked for a breakdown and I get a lot of gov. bus. guests. I can not charge for breakfast as per our permit to do business. And as Ike mentioned, I do not discount for non eaters.

I do think it will come where the B&B industry will follow and do the add on fees...Not all establishments....destination places would be the first.
Myself.......for decades I had provided service that was all inclusive....4 years ago I had to decide on whether to do rate increase.....or forgo any increase. Remove a couple things from the all inclusive, making those services an add on for a fee.
It has resulted in significant revenue....and didn't cause a stir in my customer base...
The result is that I have not changed pricing for a few years. Making me more competitive....while not taking any losses due to increased operating costs.
Don't dismiss the option for add on fees.......I know, I know.....I know what you all are thinking.........I did to, for many years.........at what point does one increase room rates before it detracts guests?
For example......your market location has 3 competing facilities.....due to operating costs all 3 have to make rate adjustments.....2 increase the room rates....the other takes the add on fee approach, keeping the room rate the same.........what would be the prospective guests first option be ?.
Are you willing to share a bit more about what, specifically, you've moved from 'included' to 'added'? I'm very interested in your experience with this.

i refuse to do room only simply because I am not keeping track when I have 26 breakfasts on the go of the 1 person who isn't supposed to be having any and then turns up anyway when they smell the bacon!

I never had anyone request a breakdown of the room & breakfast because breakfast was complimentary. Also, my biz rate was right there with the large nicer hotel downtown. My biz guests loved having a full gourmet breakfast included in their rate. I had a big percentage of guests from our university.

i refuse to do room only simply because I am not keeping track when I have 26 breakfasts on the go of the 1 person who isn't supposed to be having any and then turns up anyway when they smell the bacon!.
Whatever they intended -- bacon is the greatest will power destroyer. Satan's invention (along with fiddle music).

For example......your market location has 3 competing facilities.....due to operating costs all 3 have to make rate adjustments.....2 increase the room rates....the other takes the add on fee approach, keeping the room rate the same.........what would be the prospective guests first option be ?.
One Day said:
For example......your market location has 3 competing facilities.....due to operating costs all 3 have to make rate adjustments.....2 increase the room rates....the other takes the add on fee approach, keeping the room rate the same.........what would be the prospective guests first option be ?
So what do you charge for?

Back