That'll teach me

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Guest yesterday only wants to stay one night, I charged for the 2 he booked. Today he says they will be keeping the room until 5 PM being as they paid for it, then they will leave. OK by me. I still have the chance to clean it and rerent it if I want to. And I have no obligation to him.

it wouldn't surprise me if they stayed even later, maybe even sleep in the room and come to breakfast in the morning.

it wouldn't surprise me if they stayed even later, maybe even sleep in the room and come to breakfast in the morning..
seashanty said:
it wouldn't surprise me if they stayed even later, maybe even sleep in the room and come to breakfast in the morning.
I'm pretty sure they have a rez elsewhere for tonight.

Well, it is their room until check out tomorrow if they paid for it.....
Samster said:
Well, it is their room until check out tomorrow if they paid for it....
If they leave early enough I'll turn it over.
My dh is wondering if you can even legally do that. hmmm....
Samster said:
Absolutely!
It's the energy that's in question...
=)
Kk.

Samster said:
Guest checks out. Why would I not be able to rerent room? Because he is checking out waaaaaaaaaay after check-out time I have no obligations to him at all.

Samster said:
Guest checks out. Why would I not be able to rerent room? Because he is checking out waaaaaaaaaay after check-out time I have no obligations to him at all.
But you charged him for 2 nights, right?? I don't get this. So, you are trying to be paid twice for the second night of this rez??

Samster said:
But you charged him for 2 nights, right?? I don't get this. So, you are trying to be paid twice for the second night of this rez??
Samster said:
Yes. They overstayed the checkout time. After 1 PM, if you have not vacated the room, you are charged for it whether you subsequently leave or not. Had they NOT done that, had they checked out at 11 and had I rebooked the room, I would have refunded their card for tonight. As they just left (and the room is now turned) if I can rebook it for tonight I will. And he will NOT be refunded. (See: late checkout clause in reg form, which he signed, and obviously read.)

Samster said:
Samster said:
Yes. They overstayed the checkout time. After 1 PM, if you have not vacated the room, you are charged for it whether you subsequently leave or not. Had they NOT done that, had they checked out at 11 and had I rebooked the room, I would have refunded their card for tonight. As they just left (and the room is now turned) if I can rebook it for tonight I will. And he will NOT be refunded. (See: late checkout clause in reg form, which he signed, and obviously read.)
I guess I wouldn't sweat it unless people are beating down the doors in droves for a place to stay. It is a room that is paid for but doesn't need to be made up in the morning.
regular_smile.gif
One less room to cook for too.

Samster said:
Why not? Hotels do that all the time. Think of it as an all you can eat restaurant, once you have finished and paid your bill if you turn around and come back in you will be charged again. So the guest paid his bill and said he was finished with the room so once it is cleaned, it is back in service. It is called a re-rent in the hotel world. What it should be called is Manna from Heaven.

Samster said:
Samster said:
I guess I wouldn't sweat it unless people are beating down the doors in droves for a place to stay. It is a room that is paid for but doesn't need to be made up in the morning.
regular_smile.gif
No one is beating down the door which is why I would take someone who showed up. After tonight we fall off a cliff until the very end of the month.

Samster said:
Why not? Hotels do that all the time. Think of it as an all you can eat restaurant, once you have finished and paid your bill if you turn around and come back in you will be charged again. So the guest paid his bill and said he was finished with the room so once it is cleaned, it is back in service. It is called a re-rent in the hotel world. What it should be called is Manna from Heaven.
Read my reply above...sometimes there are more important things than money. Like not getting stressed out about stuff. But maybe that is just me...
After just losing my two elderly Aunts this week after a freak car accident (the last people in my family on both sides from their generation), I have been doing a lot of thinking about what is truly important in life. Like I said, it is probably just me....

Samster said:
Read my reply above...sometimes there are more important things than money. Like not getting stressed out about stuff. But maybe that is just me...
After just losing my two elderly Aunts this week after a freak car accident (the last people in my family on both sides from their generation), I have been doing a lot of thinking about what is truly important in life. Like I said, it is probably just me....
Please accept my condolences for your loss.
My answer was in reply to the is it legal and why would you... Yes, it is legal and Bree was not sounding stressed out about it to me. She sounded as if she was saying please check out early enough to clean & rerent. This time of year, maoney may not be the most important thing in the world, but when the first heating bills come, it will seem that wy. As I said, Manna from Heaven to get an extra revenue from a room.
I have been known to pass on many room nights because of a volunteer commitment, but if I had a chance to get a walk-in - as much as I hate cleaning, i would be busting my carcass.

Samster said:
My thoughts are with you and your family.

Samster said:
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
No one is beating down the door which is why I would take someone who showed up. After tonight we fall off a cliff until the very end of the month.
I understand. We had that in September where we had no guests and had 3 mortgages to pay, plus all the other bills. My poor husband will be working until he's 80
sad_smile.gif

Samster said:
My thoughts are with you and your family.
Thanks very much. It has been a really emotional 2 weeks, plus busy with guests and other commitments.
I was off the forum for awhile and came back to 5 pages of posts, which I've been making my way through while watching college football this afternoon. All y'all have been chatty
regular_smile.gif

Samster said:
My answer was in reply to the is it legal and why would you... Yes, it is legal and Bree was not sounding stressed out about it to me. She sounded as if she was saying please check out early enough to clean & rerent. This time of year, maoney may not be the most important thing in the world, but when the first heating bills come, it will seem that wy. As I said, Manna from Heaven to get an extra revenue from a room.
I have been known to pass on many room nights because of a volunteer commitment, but if I had a chance to get a walk-in - as much as I hate cleaning, i would be busting my carcass.
gillumhouse said:
The first fuel bill CAME already...$1400. That will last a few more weeks.

Samster said:
gillumhouse said:
The first fuel bill CAME already...$1400. That will last a few more weeks.
Aha! I was right, wasn't I!

Back