That'll teach me

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it is their room until check out tomorrow if they paid for it.....
Samster said:
Well, it is their room until check out tomorrow if they paid for it....
If they leave early enough I'll turn it over.
My dh is wondering if you can even legally do that. hmmm....
Guest checks out. Why would I not be able to rerent room? Because he is checking out waaaaaaaaaay after check-out time I have no obligations to him at all.
But you charged him for 2 nights, right?? I don't get this. So, you are trying to be paid twice for the second night of this rez??
Why not? Hotels do that all the time. Think of it as an all you can eat restaurant, once you have finished and paid your bill if you turn around and come back in you will be charged again. So the guest paid his bill and said he was finished with the room so once it is cleaned, it is back in service. It is called a re-rent in the hotel world. What it should be called is Manna from Heaven.
Read my reply above...sometimes there are more important things than money. Like not getting stressed out about stuff. But maybe that is just me...
After just losing my two elderly Aunts this week after a freak car accident (the last people in my family on both sides from their generation), I have been doing a lot of thinking about what is truly important in life. Like I said, it is probably just me....
My thoughts are with you and your family.
Thanks very much. It has been a really emotional 2 weeks, plus busy with guests and other commitments.
I was off the forum for awhile and came back to 5 pages of posts, which I've been making my way through while watching college football this afternoon. All y'all have been chatty
regular_smile.gif

HI Samster, So sorry to hear of your crappy weeks. Here's to a better one :)

Samster said:
Guest checks out. Why would I not be able to rerent room? Because he is checking out waaaaaaaaaay after check-out time I have no obligations to him at all.
But you charged him for 2 nights, right?? I don't get this. So, you are trying to be paid twice for the second night of this rez??
Why not? Hotels do that all the time. Think of it as an all you can eat restaurant, once you have finished and paid your bill if you turn around and come back in you will be charged again. So the guest paid his bill and said he was finished with the room so once it is cleaned, it is back in service. It is called a re-rent in the hotel world. What it should be called is Manna from Heaven.
Read my reply above...sometimes there are more important things than money. Like not getting stressed out about stuff. But maybe that is just me...
After just losing my two elderly Aunts this week after a freak car accident (the last people in my family on both sides from their generation), I have been doing a lot of thinking about what is truly important in life. Like I said, it is probably just me....
Thanks very much. It has been a really emotional 2 weeks, plus busy with guests and other commitments.
I was off the forum for awhile and came back to 5 pages of posts, which I've been making my way through while watching college football this afternoon. All y'all have been chatty
regular_smile.gif

Thanks...things are looking up...
Then there were the people that called at 9 pm looking for a room for tonight. uh, no...we don't have staff....I referred them to the places with 24 hr staff. I was already chilling watching a movie.

Money is not everything but at 9pm? I am smiling and saying Welcome to our home! My honking loan payment pulls my chain every month and next month looks bleak (tis the season to be bleak here) and my insurance comes up next month too.
Not making a dig at your decision, just saying how it is here. Gotta go make DH some pudding and get things ready for tomorrow. Went from 1 for breaksat to 3 and a one-night who did not want to share a bathroom decide that she will not mind sharing (she moved to the other room so I will not hav eto change sheets if she does stay over - YESssssss!!!) so tomorow i just might maybe have a full house. Chapel at Midnight and I have been up since 6 on 4 hours sleep!

Money is not everything but at 9pm? I am smiling and saying Welcome to our home! My honking loan payment pulls my chain every month and next month looks bleak (tis the season to be bleak here) and my insurance comes up next month too.
Not making a dig at your decision, just saying how it is here. Gotta go make DH some pudding and get things ready for tomorrow. Went from 1 for breaksat to 3 and a one-night who did not want to share a bathroom decide that she will not mind sharing (she moved to the other room so I will not hav eto change sheets if she does stay over - YESssssss!!!) so tomorow i just might maybe have a full house. Chapel at Midnight and I have been up since 6 on 4 hours sleep!.
Trust me...I was tempted to take them but I was already ready for bed. I have been ready-get set-go all week and had 2 family members pass away. I needed a breather. I have 3 honking mortgage payments, thank you very much! My sanity was worth it this evening and they could have not shown (which happens to JBJ). And my dh had been called into work.

Not making a dig at your decision, just saying how it is here. Gotta go make DH some pudding and get things ready for tomorrow. Went from 1 for breaksat to 3 and a one-night who did not want to share a bathroom decide that she will not mind sharing (she moved to the other room so I will not hav eto change sheets if she does stay over - YESssssss!!!) so tomorow i just might maybe have a full house. Chapel at Midnight and I have been up since 6 on 4 hours sleep!.
Trust me...I was tempted to take them but I was already ready for bed. I have been ready-get set-go all week and had 2 family members pass away. I needed a breather. I have 3 honking mortgage payments, thank you very much! My sanity was worth it this evening and they could have not shown (which happens to JBJ). And my dh had been called into work.
Samster said:
My condolences on your aunts. And on your sanity, for that matter.
I'm with Kathleen, though... 9 p.m.? I'd take their cc and go dust their room. Get 'em checked in and go back to my private space.
As my contractor says, "We're in this business to make money."
cheers.gif

=)
Kk.

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif

Then there were the people that called at 9 pm looking for a room for tonight. uh, no...we don't have staff....I referred them to the places with 24 hr staff. I was already chilling watching a movie.
Samster said:
Unless the person is ringing my doorbell, I'm with you. 9 PM is just too late for me. They call and say they'll be right there and if you have their cc info, they assume, 'What the heck, let's go eat.' Or, in my case, 'Let's go shop.' Until midnight. I get calls like this all the time. 'We're on our way!' yeah, but where from? Are they 10 miles out or 100? Will they stop along the way? I didn't end up renting that room last night, but it's ok.

Samster said:
I'm with Kathleen, though... 9 p.m.? I'd take their cc and go dust their room. Get 'em checked in and go back to my private space.
cheers.gif

=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Samster said:
cheers.gif

=)
Kk.
Unless they are at the door with credit card in hand, most of those calls never show up. We talk about this often, you tell them you require the cc to hold their room and they say "We are driving we will give it to you when we get there" and if you push it they don't go for it, if you don't they find a ramada on the way and stop there instead.

Samster said:
cheers.gif

=)
Kk.
I guess that works for you! Not for me....
These folks were still an hour away, I was already ready for bed, and my husband had just left to go to work (his other job) to handle an emergency. I KNOW we're in this business to make money but I take my lead from some others who have been in the business awhile and believe that there was a good chance that these folks wouldn't have even shown up & then I would have been really torqued.
Sometimes there are more important things than money and this was one of those instances where that was the case. I stand by my decision for me.

Samster said:
cheers.gif

=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Samster said:
cheers.gif

=)
Kk.
Unless they are at the door with credit card in hand, most of those calls never show up. We talk about this often, you tell them you require the cc to hold their room and they say "We are driving we will give it to you when we get there" and if you push it they don't go for it, if you don't they find a ramada on the way and stop there instead.
Thank YOU! Like I said to YS, I stand by my decision, especially since I was here alone and already ready for bed!

Samster said:
cheers.gif

=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Samster said:
cheers.gif

=)
Kk.
Well, like I said, I insist on the cc. Pull over if you have to. No cc, no way. I'm going to bed.
=)
Kk.

Samster said:
cheers.gif

=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Samster said:
cheers.gif

=)
Kk.
Well, like I said, I insist on the cc. Pull over if you have to. No cc, no way. I'm going to bed.
=)
Kk.
We had walk-ups tonight! Overseas visitors driving up and down the SE. They had been sent to another B&B and there was no one around, they walked down here not knowing we were a B&B. I thought that they had reservations at the other place and had already dialed their number when he told me that they just had been sent there by someone locally.
I will keep you posted on the outcome!

Samster said:
cheers.gif

=)
Kk.
These folks were still an hour away, I was already ready for bed, and my husband had just left to go to work (his other job) to handle an emergency. I KNOW we're in this business to make money but I take my lead from some others who have been in the business awhile and believe that there was a good chance that these folks wouldn't have even shown up & then I would have been really torqued.
Sometimes there are more important things than money and this was one of those instances where that was the case. I stand by my decision for me.
Please accept my condolences for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this trying time in your life. Money is the least important, your health and well-being the most!
SherryCa

Samster said:
Please accept my condolences for your loss.
My answer was in reply to the is it legal and why would you... Yes, it is legal and Bree was not sounding stressed out about it to me. She sounded as if she was saying please check out early enough to clean & rerent. This time of year, maoney may not be the most important thing in the world, but when the first heating bills come, it will seem that wy. As I said, Manna from Heaven to get an extra revenue from a room.
I have been known to pass on many room nights because of a volunteer commitment, but if I had a chance to get a walk-in - as much as I hate cleaning, i would be busting my carcass.
gillumhouse said:
Please accept my condolences for your loss.
My answer was in reply to the is it legal and why would you... Yes, it is legal and Bree was not sounding stressed out about it to me. She sounded as if she was saying please check out early enough to clean & rerent. This time of year, maoney may not be the most important thing in the world, but when the first heating bills come, it will seem that wy. As I said, Manna from Heaven to get an extra revenue from a room.
I have been known to pass on many room nights because of a volunteer commitment, but if I had a chance to get a walk-in - as much as I hate cleaning, i would be busting my carcass.
The first fuel bill CAME already...$1400. That will last a few more weeks.
My condolences for your your fuel bill.
cry_smile.gif

Samster said:
Sorry for your loss. In my family it has been a sister and first cousins. All Aunts and Uncles gone. That is where you are now. You and I are part of our family oldest generation once the aunts and uncles are gone. Yes, we need to think about what is important in our life. :cry:

Samster said:
Sorry for your loss. In my family it has been a sister and first cousins. All Aunts and Uncles gone. That is where you are now. You and I are part of our family oldest generation once the aunts and uncles are gone. Yes, we need to think about what is important in our life. :cry:
I know that I'm part of the "oldest generation" now. I am not THAT OLD!! That's what's kinda scarey...

Samster said:
cheers.gif

=)
Kk.
Please accept my condolences for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this trying time in your life. Money is the least important, your health and well-being the most!
SherryCa
Thank YOU! If one of my brothers travels to take care of things on Halloween weekend, I may go help him.

Samster said:
I know that I'm part of the "oldest generation" now. I am not THAT OLD!! That's what's kinda scarey...
Samster said:
My mother looks at things that way. She said, when her dad died, 'Now I'm the oldest generation.' It was not a designation she wanted. She was in her 50's when that happened.
Hugs.

Samster said:
Samster said:
My mother looks at things that way. She said, when her dad died, 'Now I'm the oldest generation.' It was not a designation she wanted. She was in her 50's when that happened.
Hugs.
Bree said:
Samster said:
Hugs.
My sister and I were in our early 40's.
It definitely sucks.
=/
Kk.

Back