"That's fine"

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
A phrase that does not mean much or it does mean much. But what DOES it mean? I ask if you would like more orange juice, reply "That's fine." Does that mean yes I would, or no thank you?
Would you care for the music on this morning? "That's fine" does that mean YES I WOULD, or NO IT IS FINE WITHOUT OUT.
Then lastly, last week a couple are coming back in March and I asked which room they would like "The room we had was 'fine' " Does that mean it was not very nice? Sufficient I suppose it meant.
FINE FINE FINE! Say what you mean and mean what you say, increase the vocab already people!

And never use the word 'fine' when you really mean 'good' if you're selling books!
Fine is just the latest incarnation of 'nice'.
I would take the offer of something, answered with 'that's fine,' to mean 'No thanks, I'm ok.'
On which room I'd take it to mean that room is acceptable to them, no need to do anything more.

And never use the word 'fine' when you really mean 'good' if you're selling books!
I would take the offer of something, answered with 'that's fine,' to mean 'No thanks, I'm ok.'
On which room I'd take it to mean that room is acceptable to them, no need to do anything more..
I actually clarified the "That's fine" this morning, and it meant YES. See! Even you thought the opposite. That'sfine to me is almost saying "Don't bother, we are fine" sorta of statement. Apparently it means Yes I would like more juice, and Yes I would like the music on.
whattha.gif

Now does it mean this because they are from the South? Could be.

On which room I'd take it to mean that room is acceptable to them, no need to do anything more..
I actually clarified the "That's fine" this morning, and it meant YES. See! Even you thought the opposite. That'sfine to me is almost saying "Don't bother, we are fine" sorta of statement. Apparently it means Yes I would like more juice, and Yes I would like the music on.
whattha.gif

Well that explains why I got the hairy eyeball last week when I walked away with the coffee without pouring any!

whattha.gif

Well that explains why I got the hairy eyeball last week when I walked away with the coffee without pouring any!
Madeleine said:
Were they Southern? I guesst Yes Ma'am might have been better than that's fine, aye.
cry_smile.gif

If you ask, "would you like more juice" and they say that's fine, they mean yes, they want juice. It will be fine (good) to have more.
If, on the other hand, they respond "I'm fine" that means they do NOT want more juice. They are fine (good) like they are.
You might also watch for a confirming head nod or shake to verify they mean yes or no.
So happy to translate the southern lingo for y'all ;-)

If you ask, "would you like more juice" and they say that's fine, they mean yes, they want juice. It will be fine (good) to have more.
If, on the other hand, they respond "I'm fine" that means they do NOT want more juice. They are fine (good) like they are.
You might also watch for a confirming head nod or shake to verify they mean yes or no.
So happy to translate the southern lingo for y'all ;-).
Arks we all know "I'm fine"
But yes, you may need to be an interpretor. Some people are not full of personality such as we are, and so the obvious "signs and clues" are absent. I know it is a lot to ask, but to say "I'm fine, thank you" or "Yes, thank you" would go along way.
BTW they stay they pay they go away ism't innkeeping mantra for nothin'~ New guests new body language and verbal language to adjust to in a jiffy.

Around here, it's the tone that goes along with the word "Fine". It can mean anything from "I'll do it, but I already resent you asking" to "No problem."
We call it being "fined" and since MoH reads everything that I write on this website, I'm sure there is a head bobbing happening right now. And that's "fine!"

whattha.gif

Madeleine said:
Now I'm with you on this one, if I ask "would you like more juice" I would take "that's fine" to mean they've had sufficient juice and no more is required.
However I do agree that if I ask "would you like the same room as you had before" and I received the reply "that's fine" I take that to mean that the room was just about tollerable and they're willing to put up with the same one as before if nothing else is available.

Hahahahaha....I hear you! Sounds like my dh. My least favorite expression. Another thing that irks me is when you ask someone if they want "either....or", and they say "yes". What the heck?
People are funny....and not always in a humorous way.
regular_smile.gif

Had another "that's fine" couple here. As I delivered breakfast to the cottage in the pouring rain (two trips out and back) and had to bang on the door with my foot proclaiming through the rain on the tin roof "Good morning, breakfast is here!" I walked in and said "Rain water orange juice no extra charge" smiling, being clever and witty, as I am prone to be. "That's fine" they replied, as I stood there drenched. Oh, it is? Okay well good. I can go back and get more orange juice without the rain water if you want me to. sheesh people ha ha funny i am being funny.
Later on I mentioned something else and had the same "That's fine" response. I am wanting to say "No, actually it's better than fine it's great" Bless their hearts.
heart.gif

Why can't people respond "Yes, please" or "No, thank you"? I'm in the South and I don't get "that's fine" or "I'm fine". That's rude! I really think I might reply (to either of those responses) with "I'm sorry...you do or you do not want more juice?"

Why can't people respond "Yes, please" or "No, thank you"? I'm in the South and I don't get "that's fine" or "I'm fine". That's rude! I really think I might reply (to either of those responses) with "I'm sorry...you do or you do not want more juice?"
Hmm. We do get guests saying this. I always take it to mean no thanks. Maybe I speak this language?
The other is I'm good.

BananaE29 said:
Oh we have someone in this family that does that, it is terrible. I stand there "yes or no? Fine you want some, or I am fine, I don't want any?" That is a whole 'nother ball of wax right there, rahttcheer.

Hmm. We do get guests saying this. I always take it to mean no thanks. Maybe I speak this language?
The other is I'm good.
I must be on edge. Because that response would be very irritating also. It's very...dismissive! Do not dismiss me!
"Would you like more juice?"
"I'm good"
"I'm sorry...you're good? Sooo...you do not want any juice?"
Gaaaa! Speak proper and have some freaking manners!

The other is I'm good.
I must be on edge. Because that response would be very irritating also. It's very...dismissive! Do not dismiss me!
"I'm good"
BananaE29 said:
"I'm good"
Correct. Using "I'm good" in that situation means they don't need anything else.
Walk away. They'll learn...
Is anyone tracking who is saying this? Age group? State? I've got to think these are folks from the Northeast. And my age.
Or, Seinfeld fans.

The other is I'm good.
"I'm good"
BananaE29 said:
"I'm good"
Correct. Using "I'm good" in that situation means they don't need anything else.
Is anyone tracking who is saying this? Age group? State? I've got to think these are folks from the Northeast. And my age.
Or, Seinfeld fans.
Madeleine said:
BananaE29 said:
"I'm good"
Or, Seinfeld fans.
These last ones were total southerners, and in fact all of mine have been. It is a passive way of speaking I think, not to ruffle anyone.
The one in our family 'relationship family' said it in a bashful sort of way, almost like the first thing that came to mind. In fact his mother was at a show with me and I asked her "Can I get you anything, a glass of wine?" She answered "That's fine"
er so you WOULD LIKE a glass of wine, or "you are fine" and don't want a glass of wine? It is trying to be polite but confusing.

DH says something that has caused us strife before, he once said "This'll do" but meant it in the most flattering way.
We had a major issue with those two words once and btw he is not cocky and arrogant and didn't use it in a demeaning way. I had to explain to the person he said it as in you step into a limousine as the driver in suit and cap closes your door and you say "This'll do" with a smile.
I have had to translate his Aussie speak for 26 years.

DH says something that has caused us strife before, he once said "This'll do" but meant it in the most flattering way.
We had a major issue with those two words once and btw he is not cocky and arrogant and didn't use it in a demeaning way. I had to explain to the person he said it as in you step into a limousine as the driver in suit and cap closes your door and you say "This'll do" with a smile.
I have had to translate his Aussie speak for 26 years..
I can hear the inflection on "this'll do" that makes it a compliment.

Back