The 5 - 10 - 5 Rule

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetiePie

Reaction score
I can't believe I'm having all these cooking breakthroughs this week. First we overcame the blue muffin and now the blue hard-boiled egg yolk.
I don't know why; it should be a simple as boiling water. However, for some reason, hard-boiled eggs have always vexed me. They are either blue from over-cooking, or rare in the middle from under-cooking, or acne-scarred from me attempting to pick the shell off.
Today I got it just right and the secret is the 5 - 10 - 5 rule. Start the eggs in cold water and bring to a boil. Boil for exactly 5 minutes. Then turn off the heat but leave on the stove for exactly 10 minutes. Drain and either cool down with cold water or place in the refrigerator for 5 minutes. Then peel. The shells just glide off, practically in one piece. Return to the refrigerator to finish cooling.

Yum! Hubs always makes these for me, he does something similar but only boils for 2 minutes, then lets them sit in the hot water for 20 minutes, then into an ice bath. Then peel immediately.
He won't touch them, they are one of my faves! But he likes making them...and the yolks get so pretty yellow.

Does this work with farm fresh eggs or just the ones from the store?

Does this work with farm fresh eggs or just the ones from the store?.
Our eggs are delivered fresh from the farm every week and I like to set them aside for 2-3 weeks before hard boiling them...otherwise I find them impossible to peel.

That's what I was wondering. I didn't think farm fresh eggs (straight from the chicky) would be that easy to peel. That's what we use at the inn and I have NEVER had success with peeling them. But, they are straight from my chickens! 2-3 week old eggs, that's about what you'd be getting from the local grocery anyway.

Does this work with farm fresh eggs or just the ones from the store?.
Our eggs are delivered fresh from the farm every week and I like to set them aside for 2-3 weeks before hard boiling them...otherwise I find them impossible to peel.
InnsiderInfo said:
Yes, the older they are, they easier they peel...

I don't know because I don't have farm fresh eggs here. You're lucky. It's been at least a week since I bought them so I don't know exactly how old they are.

One way you can tell the approximate age of eggs is whether they stand upright in the water, or float. Upright is good, I'm not sure about floating. It shows that there is gas building up within the shell. These were standing upright and a tasty egg salad was had by all.

One way you can tell the approximate age of eggs is whether they stand upright in the water, or float. Upright is good, I'm not sure about floating. It shows that there is gas building up within the shell. These were standing upright and a tasty egg salad was had by all..
If they float they are bad eggs - literally. Throw them away if they float.

Sorry I have to disagree with this technique. put the eggs in cold water. Bring to the boil. Turn off. PUt the lid on and remove from the heat. THen proceed with the 10 min. and the cool down etc.

LOL Well, we all do things differently, I suppose.
We bring the eggs to room temperature, get the salted water boiling, drop the eggs in, cook for 9 minutes, then remove to an ice bath. Peel perfectly with a beautiful yellow center.

Adding a splash of vinegar to the water helps reduce cracking because it softens the shell a bit.

That's the beauty of "collective wisdom". Together we can figure anything out.

Great thread SweetiPie! I had no idea there were so many secrets for hard boiled eggs. Of course by the time I am ready to make them it will have all blended together badly in my mind. ie : soak in vinegar until they float, boil for 5 minutes peel for 10 minutes... ;)

I have to say, Swirt's comment still has me laughing, 30 minutes later.

I've finally found my place on this forum.
lightbulb.gif
I'm the straight man for Swirt.

I have to say, Swirt's comment still has me laughing, 30 minutes later..
Ethbay said:
I have to say, Swirt's comment still has me laughing, 30 minutes later.
I'll take laughing 30 minutes later over shaking head in disbelief 30 mintues later any day.

lightbulb.gif
I'm the straight man for Swirt..
SweetiePie said:
lightbulb.gif
LOL... The Tiki Hut Lounge called and wants to book us for the week ;)
swirt said:
SweetiePie said:
lightbulb.gif
LOL... The Tiki Hut Lounge called and wants to book us for the week ;)
"Tip your waitresses...try the veal...we'll be here all week, Folks!"

Back