The ABCs of B&Bs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
[FONT= 'Times New Roman']The ABCs of B&Bs[/FONT]
FOXNews
By Paul Eisenberg If your idea of a bed and breakfast experience involves antique furniture, creaky floors, and sharing bathrooms and meals with strangers, ...

The first line already causes angst. Sharing bathrooms - these people need to get out and visit a B&B once in this century!
Then Sandy Soule pipes in and sets them straight!

Good grief! What a way to start an article. Come on, this is 2010! Do these people actually go out and stay at B&Bs before they write these articles???
Yeah, and let's encourage everyone to CALL! Because you know of course B&Bs don't have professional and accurate websites. And let's encourage folks to game the pricing system of these small businesses.
And btw, let's mention that you can have room service but it will cost you! Has anyone out there had a $4 glass of OJ from hotel room service? Yeah, that's right.
Thank goodness Sandy S. set the record straight in the article but..........

Good grief! What a way to start an article. Come on, this is 2010! Do these people actually go out and stay at B&Bs before they write these articles???
Yeah, and let's encourage everyone to CALL! Because you know of course B&Bs don't have professional and accurate websites. And let's encourage folks to game the pricing system of these small businesses.
And btw, let's mention that you can have room service but it will cost you! Has anyone out there had a $4 glass of OJ from hotel room service? Yeah, that's right.
Thank goodness Sandy S. set the record straight in the article but...........
I think a few irate B&B owners set them straight as well.

Thank goodness Sandy S. set the record straight in the article but...........
I think a few irate B&B owners set them straight as well.
Yes, I can see that they have. ;-)
It is so irksome that supposedly educated people have such bad information. And the lead paragraph of a story will be what is picked up, not the rest or the comments. There is no mention of professional or State associations or B&B directories as a place to find B&Bs either.

Thanks guys! We love it when the media comes to us for information! Marti Mayne does an amazing job of getting the word out. We also owe a ton to our members who complete our quarterly surveys, which makes the data believable to reporters. On the other hand, it's hard to control (perhaps impossible) what a reporter writes, and even more difficult, what the editor does to the piece -- they almost always add an "edge" to increase the likelihood that people will read it!

Thanks guys! We love it when the media comes to us for information! Marti Mayne does an amazing job of getting the word out. We also owe a ton to our members who complete our quarterly surveys, which makes the data believable to reporters. On the other hand, it's hard to control (perhaps impossible) what a reporter writes, and even more difficult, what the editor does to the piece -- they almost always add an "edge" to increase the likelihood that people will read it!.
SandySoule said:
they almost always add an "edge" to increase the likelihood that people will read it!
Hard to believe Fox News would add an edge
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Thanks guys! We love it when the media comes to us for information! Marti Mayne does an amazing job of getting the word out. We also owe a ton to our members who complete our quarterly surveys, which makes the data believable to reporters. On the other hand, it's hard to control (perhaps impossible) what a reporter writes, and even more difficult, what the editor does to the piece -- they almost always add an "edge" to increase the likelihood that people will read it!.
SandySoule said:
they almost always add an "edge" to increase the likelihood that people will read it!
Hard to believe Fox News would add an edge
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
Don't get me started on Fox -- trying to be a good girl and stay away from politics and other dangerous subjects -- but to be fair, we've seen the exact same thing from many other media sources. And is an article is totally safe, positive (and boring) no one will read it -- 99.9% of the time, the industry is better off getting the coverage, even if it isn't just what we'd like (and don't forget, we're getting it without having to pay zillions in advertising costs.

And innkeepers please leave a comment on the article, the more the merrier. The more comments the more likely (imo) they will address this HOT TOPIC again. It is media - so yes an edge is good - we have the ability to have our say in the comments section! GO FOR IT Y'ALL!

And innkeepers please leave a comment on the article, the more the merrier. The more comments the more likely (imo) they will address this HOT TOPIC again. It is media - so yes an edge is good - we have the ability to have our say in the comments section! GO FOR IT Y'ALL!.
Yes, but you have to join up to post a comment :-(

And innkeepers please leave a comment on the article, the more the merrier. The more comments the more likely (imo) they will address this HOT TOPIC again. It is media - so yes an edge is good - we have the ability to have our say in the comments section! GO FOR IT Y'ALL!.
catlady said:
same with everyone online news source. I have an gmail email account just for that purpose.

I could not find what Sany Soule said darn it. I did post this however:
  • A is for Artwork (originals all)
  • B is for full Breakfast (between 4 AM and 10 AM please)
  • C is for Coffee (we roast yours tonight, which country do you want?))
  • D is for Doilies (of course we have them!)
  • E is for Equestrian (we arrange to stable your horses)
  • F is for fine dining (here or we make your reservations)
  • G is for Good Conversation (if the guest wishes)
  • H is for Hospitality (at which we excel)
  • I is for Individuality (we are all different)
  • J is for Jacuzzi (I have none, but many do)
  • K is for Knowledge (we KNOW our area)
  • L is for the Love we put into our inn
  • M is for the Movies/Music we make available
  • N is for Nights of comfortable rest
  • O is for Online reservations
  • P is for Private bathrooms that most B & Bs have
  • Q is for Quiet (and I am in town)
  • R is for Robes in all my closets
  • S is for Scrumptious (as our guests describe breakfast)
  • T is for the Teas available (we have over 100 varieties)
  • U is for Unique (each B & B is unique)
  • V is for Value (you get more than you expected)
  • W is for WiFi which we give for FREE
  • X is for X-tra effort we go to for you
  • Y is You (that is why we are here)
  • Z is for ZZzzzzz as you get your best rest

I could not find what Sany Soule said darn it. I did post this however:
  • A is for Artwork (originals all)
  • B is for full Breakfast (between 4 AM and 10 AM please)
  • C is for Coffee (we roast yours tonight, which country do you want?))
  • D is for Doilies (of course we have them!)
  • E is for Equestrian (we arrange to stable your horses)
  • F is for fine dining (here or we make your reservations)
  • G is for Good Conversation (if the guest wishes)
  • H is for Hospitality (at which we excel)
  • I is for Individuality (we are all different)
  • J is for Jacuzzi (I have none, but many do)
  • K is for Knowledge (we KNOW our area)
  • L is for the Love we put into our inn
  • M is for the Movies/Music we make available
  • N is for Nights of comfortable rest
  • O is for Online reservations
  • P is for Private bathrooms that most B & Bs have
  • Q is for Quiet (and I am in town)
  • R is for Robes in all my closets
  • S is for Scrumptious (as our guests describe breakfast)
  • T is for the Teas available (we have over 100 varieties)
  • U is for Unique (each B & B is unique)
  • V is for Value (you get more than you expected)
  • W is for WiFi which we give for FREE
  • X is for X-tra effort we go to for you
  • Y is You (that is why we are here)
  • Z is for ZZzzzzz as you get your best rest
Brilliant!

Back