The abyss under my guesthouse

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arks the real question is AFTER you do what you do, what will you tell people? I wouldn't stay there with that below the building, me personally, it creeps me out. It could be a pro or a con.

Arks the real question is AFTER you do what you do, what will you tell people? I wouldn't stay there with that below the building, me personally, it creeps me out. It could be a pro or a con..
Joey Bloggs said:
Arks the real question is AFTER you do what you do, what will you tell people? I wouldn't stay there with that below the building, me personally, it creeps me out. It could be a pro or a con.
Would you sleep in a room with a basement under the floor? Or a second floor room with 12-foot celings in the room below you? Would you walk out onto a hotel balcony suspended off the side of the building? Will you drive over a bridge?
Yes, I know, this is still different, and will never be popular with 100% of the people.
One nice thing is that, if it proves to be a problem I can always fill it in and be done with it later, but if I fill it in now, it's gone forever.

Could it be a suite? Rather than a spiral staircase, a staircase that goes around the wall with the TV and chairs (perhaps hide-a-bed chairs or sofa) that would make it usable as a second bedroom for a family or 2 men/women needing 2 beds and privacy. Other than than, I like the plexi idea - but you would have to explain it on your description. Someone with vertigo would NOT like that room!]
Other than that, you might want to retain it as a possible cistern again. One never knows what will happen with water systems - could be used to water your landscape and save on your water bills..
I don't think I would want to climb down 16 feet to be in an 8 foot round room... and no windows....sounds like torture chamber to me. No way! Personally, I like the plexiglass idea or just cover it all up.
I agree, Catlady. Four words come to mind, "Silence of the Lambs".... creepy.
Samster said:
Yes, I'll need to keep a throw rug to put over the "window" for people with vertigo who find it unsettling, but I think there are a lot more people who would find it fascinating to inspect.
Indeed, going down there would not be for people with claustrophobia. My brother won't go into a cave to save his life, but I love them.
Thank you for understanding what I was getting at - it would be something VERY different and not for everyone. Since the guest would have to turn on the lights, they would probably never know it was there otherwise - without the lighting it would be so dark it would not be noticable probably.
I was serious though about gathering the rainwater if you did not do the lighting route. Put a floor over it and use the water for landscaping so you would not have to do testing etc but would be GREEN by saving water. It would appeal to the GREEN crowd.

Could it be a suite? Rather than a spiral staircase, a staircase that goes around the wall with the TV and chairs (perhaps hide-a-bed chairs or sofa) that would make it usable as a second bedroom for a family or 2 men/women needing 2 beds and privacy. Other than than, I like the plexi idea - but you would have to explain it on your description. Someone with vertigo would NOT like that room!]
Other than that, you might want to retain it as a possible cistern again. One never knows what will happen with water systems - could be used to water your landscape and save on your water bills..
I don't think I would want to climb down 16 feet to be in an 8 foot round room... and no windows....sounds like torture chamber to me. No way! Personally, I like the plexiglass idea or just cover it all up.
Samster said:
Yes, I'll need to keep a throw rug to put over the "window" for people with vertigo who find it unsettling, but I think there are a lot more people who would find it fascinating to inspect.
Indeed, going down there would not be for people with claustrophobia. My brother won't go into a cave to save his life, but I love them.
Thank you for understanding what I was getting at - it would be something VERY different and not for everyone. Since the guest would have to turn on the lights, they would probably never know it was there otherwise - without the lighting it would be so dark it would not be noticable probably.
I was serious though about gathering the rainwater if you did not do the lighting route. Put a floor over it and use the water for landscaping so you would not have to do testing etc but would be GREEN by saving water. It would appeal to the GREEN crowd.
gillumhouse said:
Yes, that's another advantage of keeping it. No end to the future possibilities that way, vs. filling it in. Then it's gone forever, because if we fill it in the contractor wants to fill it in with sand mixed with a little mortar so it gets hard and seals better than sand alone.

Hey you are the one who called it "The Abyss"
shades_smile.gif
now you compare it to a 12 foot ceiling in a room below. This is what I mean, you can use it or conceal it. ie let people know about it or not. For what it's worth, be sure to wear your closest Indiana Jones hat when you do it.
raiders-snakes.png

Weaver wrote:
How about a meditation room, sanctuary, reading room?
I suspect they'll be up to hanky panky down there.
I really do think it could be a unique feature to offer. Nobody else has one!.
I think you would have some guest that would really like to use that for some Hanky Panky. Could be some fantasys forfilled down there!! Kinda weird,
but you know its true!

Weaver wrote:
How about a meditation room, sanctuary, reading room?
I suspect they'll be up to hanky panky down there.
I really do think it could be a unique feature to offer. Nobody else has one!.
I think you would have some guest that would really like to use that for some Hanky Panky. Could be some fantasys forfilled down there!! Kinda weird,
but you know its true!
Bob said:
but you know its true!
Ah yes, the dungeon. Put in some chains bolted to the wall, and one of those Iron Maidens. It does indeed take all kinds to make a world!

shades_smile.gif
now you compare it to a 12 foot ceiling in a room below. This is what I mean, you can use it or conceal it. ie let people know about it or not. For what it's worth, be sure to wear your closest Indiana Jones hat when you do it.
raiders-snakes.png
Joey Bloggs said:
shades_smile.gif
now you compare it to a 12 foot ceiling in a room below.
Yes, the wording needs to be worked out. It's definitely closer to sleeping on the second floor of a 2-story house than being suspended over an abyss.
Maybe I should describe it as a two-level bedroom with the bed upstairs and a water reservoir in the lower level.
No, that's not the wording either, but better than the abyss!

I like the lights and plexiglass idea too! That way I could bypass, for now, the expense of building stairs down into it and worrying about the extra cost of liability insurance for people to go downt there, but it could still be seen and appreciated, and it would still be there if I ever decided to make greater use of it in the future.
I'll just have to convince the architect that his engineer can come up with the proper grade and thickness of plexiglass to be safe to walk on..
The one I saw was actually set up like a wishing well with a wall around it. You could look in, but not walk on it. The plexi was for those idiots who would climb over the wall! If it's right in the middle and having a 'wall' would be really odd, then having the throw rug handy for the vertiginous would be nice. You could also set chairs near it with a moveable table on top.

I like the lights and plexiglass idea too! That way I could bypass, for now, the expense of building stairs down into it and worrying about the extra cost of liability insurance for people to go downt there, but it could still be seen and appreciated, and it would still be there if I ever decided to make greater use of it in the future.
I'll just have to convince the architect that his engineer can come up with the proper grade and thickness of plexiglass to be safe to walk on..
The one I saw was actually set up like a wishing well with a wall around it. You could look in, but not walk on it. The plexi was for those idiots who would climb over the wall! If it's right in the middle and having a 'wall' would be really odd, then having the throw rug handy for the vertiginous would be nice. You could also set chairs near it with a moveable table on top.
Madeleine said:
Yes, I want some of that unbreakable stuff, stronger than Plexiglas, that you can walk on, like they used on that thing that hangs off the side of the Grand Canyon. I've also ridden in an elevator with that kind of floor so you could look down the elevator shaft and see the workings of the thing.
It's not in the center of the room, but toward one end. One side of the bed would be above one edge of the cistern, but the "window" to see the thing would be 8 feet from that, over near a wall.

Madeleine said:
Yes, I want some of that unbreakable stuff, stronger than Plexiglas, that you can walk on, like they used on that thing that hangs off the side of the Grand Canyon. I've also ridden in an elevator with that kind of floor so you could look down the elevator shaft and see the workings of the thing.
It's not in the center of the room, but toward one end. One side of the bed would be above one edge of the cistern, but the "window" to see the thing would be 8 feet from that, over near a wall.
Not thinking you need anything the strength of that skyway! But, hey, you know guests. Someone would jump on it.

Madeleine said:
Not thinking you need anything the strength of that skyway! But, hey, you know guests. Someone would jump on it.
Madeleine said:
Exactly. It will only be a window about 3 ft. x 1 ft., resting on a steel support, but yes, I was imagining college boys jumping on it.
Seems like I remember a few years ago about a young man working in a high rise office building who liked to run and jump against the windows, to scare the women in the office, and one day he was showing off and the window broke and he fell to his death. Can't remember if it was true or urban legend, but imagine the regrets he felt as he fell 50 stories.

No, no moisture problems. I guess the 4 inches of concrete over it blocked it well enough.
We'll probably put a vapor barrier over it and re-cover it in steel and concrete and leave it alone. I can't bring myself to fill it in permanently. We'll get lots of photos while we have it open. It's kind of historic..
Wine cellar?
Innkeep said:
Wine cellar?
My first thought as well. Make sure there aren't any skeletons lurking in the bottom.

No, no moisture problems. I guess the 4 inches of concrete over it blocked it well enough.
We'll probably put a vapor barrier over it and re-cover it in steel and concrete and leave it alone. I can't bring myself to fill it in permanently. We'll get lots of photos while we have it open. It's kind of historic..
Wine cellar?
Innkeep said:
Wine cellar?
My first thought as well. Make sure there aren't any skeletons lurking in the bottom.
Proud Texan said:
Make sure there aren't any skeletons lurking in the bottom.
Actually, this was mentioned at our house just this morning and we're considering putting one down there to add to the overall experience.
My favorite line from the old Dallas series was when J.R., hiring men to investigate a competitor of his, said, "If we don't find a skeleton in his closet, we'll put one there."

Whatever you decide- as long as you don't fill it in, cover it up, and lose it forever.

Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
Exactly. It will only be a window about 3 ft. x 1 ft., resting on a steel support, but yes, I was imagining college boys jumping on it.
Seems like I remember a few years ago about a young man working in a high rise office building who liked to run and jump against the windows, to scare the women in the office, and one day he was showing off and the window broke and he fell to his death. Can't remember if it was true or urban legend, but imagine the regrets he felt as he fell 50 stories.
True

Samster said:
gillumhouse said:
Yes, that's another advantage of keeping it. No end to the future possibilities that way, vs. filling it in. Then it's gone forever, because if we fill it in the contractor wants to fill it in with sand mixed with a little mortar so it gets hard and seals better than sand alone.
you know what would be doublely cool? use it for water but plexie glass over it so it is like a water feature for that room! Sell it as a green feature of your place ie grey water is used to flush toilets that sort of thing?

Back