The abyss under my guesthouse

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True story: I made a high resolution photo looking down into my cistern with my digital camera. It shows water (6 feet deep) 10 feet below ground level. This place has been in total darkness under a concrete slab for about 100 years. Now it's the star attraction.
I took the camera chip to Walmart, stuck it into the slot in the photo department and selected Poster on the touch screen. Fifteen minutes later, for $19, I was holding a big 30" x 20" enlargement of my photo. For another $18 I got a frame for it and put this $37 work of art (below) in my sister's variety store downtown for $75. Today (3 days after I put it there) somebody bought it!! This weekend I'll make another one.
cistern.JPG

True story: I made a high resolution photo looking down into my cistern with my digital camera. It shows water (6 feet deep) 10 feet below ground level. This place has been in total darkness under a concrete slab for about 100 years. Now it's the star attraction.
I took the camera chip to Walmart, stuck it into the slot in the photo department and selected Poster on the touch screen. Fifteen minutes later, for $19, I was holding a big 30" x 20" enlargement of my photo. For another $18 I got a frame for it and put this $37 work of art (below) in my sister's variety store downtown for $75. Today (3 days after I put it there) somebody bought it!! This weekend I'll make another one.
cistern.JPG
How cool!!
It looks like an iris of a person's eye.

cistern.JPG
What does it look like without the flash? I find the flash distracting. But it is a cool photo.

cistern.JPG
Quite possibly the oddest story I have heard...all day. But money was made, and interest was had!
cheers.gif

You had my concern with this funky cistern
that it could have been a real downturn
but you turned on the lantern and knocked out the nocturne
to display this wonderful cavern

Without the flash it would be complete darkness. I don't think you could light it without the light reflecting in the water. I might consider photoshopping out the flash though.
Yes, it's fun to show it to people and ask what they think it is. Eye, outerspace nebula, there have been many guesses. Nobody has ever guessed cistern.

Without the flash it would be complete darkness. I don't think you could light it without the light reflecting in the water. I might consider photoshopping out the flash though.
Yes, it's fun to show it to people and ask what they think it is. Eye, outerspace nebula, there have been many guesses. Nobody has ever guessed cistern..
Yes, that's what I meant...photoshop it out. Make it hazier somehow as I think that will really create the illusion of looking into an eye.

cistern.JPG
We were set up at an art fair once years ago and the couple next to us started laughing - HARD laughing fit. We asked what was so funny. They pointed to a couple about a block away by now and told us that they had just for the heck of it, framed their paint rag (what they wiped their brushes on when doing their paintings) and that couple had just bought it.
Congrats on the sale.

cistern.JPG
That is SO COOL! What a neat picture. Congrats on the easy profit =)

cistern.JPG
you have to do a few and sell them as part of your gift range!

cistern.JPG
cheers.gif

cistern.JPG
Well that is cool. Do you have a "museum" setting on your camera for no flash? Experiment with some different settings and see what you come up with. Maybe general lighting from top area somewhere. The this effect is actually kind of interesting. Like someone said...like looking into an eye.

Back