The adventure begins...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Guy came yesterday to move furniture for carpet installation. 5 minutes after he left installer called to let me know the heat has to be turned on and that none of the carpet has been cut yet, so that will slow him down. He asks if he's supposed to move the furniture? I say the guy has just been here and moved it all. Installer says, 'He doesn't know where I want to start!'
I think, 'you guys should really talk to each other!'
Sure enough, they're here, and the mover moved the wrong rooms so they now have to move everything back into the original rooms along with moving all the furniture in the rooms the installer wants to do first. It's like the 3 Stooges here this morning...
I've told hubs to stay out of it. We paid to have everything done and we're not doing the parts we paid for ourselves.

OK, then. I am sitting here in my bedroom/office in my jammies reading my mail. Here comes one of the installers right thru the door. (My desk is right at the door, first thing you see when you open the door.) Looking for the bathroom. Which he was already shown when he arrived. See? Just like guests. Their minds are on what THEY are doing, not on what we're trying to tell them.

Oof.... thats funny...in a sad, I can't believe they are that stupid sort of way. :)

We have beautiful wide pine floors upstairs! Sad to cover them back over again, but we need the sound-deadening feature of carpet.
We ran up with a bucket of nails and a hammer and got rid of one squeaky board! Yay! No more complaints about that room from the guests in the room beneath.
First batch of carpet is here. What a mess the whole house is right now.
AND, we had to have the heat cranked up so the carpet doesn't stretch out in the summer. So, who's got the heat turned up to 80 and the front door wide open? Yeesh, guys. The house won't warm up if the doors are open. Really- just like guests.

Those are the guys that I call Frick & Frack
regular_smile.gif
Roofer that came here on Friday didn't bring enough drip edge molding. My dh ran to the hardware store to get what he needed so that the work wouldn't stop. Yeesch....

Those are the guys that I call Frick & Frack
regular_smile.gif
Roofer that came here on Friday didn't bring enough drip edge molding. My dh ran to the hardware store to get what he needed so that the work wouldn't stop. Yeesch.....
I may have to cry...they are doing the stairs first. Which means they will be walking up and down them in their dirty boots to haul all the old carpet out and the new carpet in. It is snowing/sleeting here. When we moved in, the movers tracked up the carpet so badly it has never been clean again. However, if THIS carpet looks bad when they're done, they're not done. I don't get it. Why do the stairs first when they KNOW they are going to be tracking in and out for 3 days????

ask them to put the plastic over it when they're finished so they won't track in the dirt

I agree with Greyswan, I would demand they put that sticky plastic on the stairs like they put in new homes to keep the carpet clean. Keep us updated and try to stay warm!

I know it's going to get worse before it gets better, but holy cow! The old pad is literally falling apart as they pull it up, which means it is shredding all over. Which means all the curtains have to come down and the walls have to be washed. (We Swiffer them.) There are little bits and bobs everywhere. Instead of asking, they used my good sheets to drape the furniture. More laundry...
They were supposed to do 2 rooms and move the furniture, then do the other 2 rooms. They have the furniture all willy nilly everywhere so now I don't know what goes where. They've taken the doors off and leaned them up in one room. Who knows which door goes to which room now!
But, 2 rooms are done! They're working on the third right now. It looks so much better. But, now I'm going to have to be so careful walking around...you can see every little footprint everywhere. Reason I wanted a sculpted pile in the first place. It's always something.
I'll take pix after they leave. It's too bad about the pine floors...they really are beautiful...

*Maybe* they have a note of what rooms each of the doors go to according to how they are stacked....Yes, it's too bad you couldn't leave the wood floors bare, but the people below will be happy
teeth_smile.gif
Can't wait to see the pictures when it's done!!

The pain you are going through now will fade away once everything is back in place with the feel of new, fresh and clean! When we had ours done I could not believe how dirty it was even with me vacuuming everyday and cleaning 2-3 times a year.

The pain you are going through now will fade away once everything is back in place with the feel of new, fresh and clean! When we had ours done I could not believe how dirty it was even with me vacuuming everyday and cleaning 2-3 times a year..
Copperhead said:
The pain you are going through now will fade away once everything is back in place with the feel of new, fresh and clean! When we had ours done I could not believe how dirty it was even with me vacuuming everyday and cleaning 2-3 times a year.
I think I mentioned the final straw was the couple with the grape soda that exploded everywhere. We were going to put this off another year but after that I just could not face that room again. We could NOT get that grape stain out. When we pulled all the throw rugs out and removed the floor lamps, ugh, it was just hideous under all of that. (BTW, I have to put something on the bottoms of all those floor lamps before they go back into the rooms. They are all rusted.)
When I went to pick out the color I told the sales rep that it has to hide 'coffee stains and that nasty dust line around the molding'. She said it was the first time anyone had picked a rug color based on coffee and dust.
Altho, that dust line won't show up in earnest for a few years! And we'll keep up with it better than had been done.

I know it's going to get worse before it gets better, but holy cow! The old pad is literally falling apart as they pull it up, which means it is shredding all over. Which means all the curtains have to come down and the walls have to be washed. (We Swiffer them.) There are little bits and bobs everywhere. Instead of asking, they used my good sheets to drape the furniture. More laundry...
They were supposed to do 2 rooms and move the furniture, then do the other 2 rooms. They have the furniture all willy nilly everywhere so now I don't know what goes where. They've taken the doors off and leaned them up in one room. Who knows which door goes to which room now!
But, 2 rooms are done! They're working on the third right now. It looks so much better. But, now I'm going to have to be so careful walking around...you can see every little footprint everywhere. Reason I wanted a sculpted pile in the first place. It's always something.
I'll take pix after they leave. It's too bad about the pine floors...they really are beautiful....
Maybe you'll end up finding that some furniture works better in another room. You never know.
regular_smile.gif

I had all the common areas torn apart today for deep cleaning...moving things from one area to clean the wood floors and then rotate them...up & down on the ladder to wash windows and clean the plantation shutters. I still have to finish the dining room. But everything is super clean & all the bits of Christmas debris are up. Yay! I did get the valances and curtains in the kitchen washed, ironed & back up. The kitchen will take a fair amount of time to clean the cabinets up high.
It's a shame that you could figure out a way to keep the wood floors in the guest rooms.
sad_smile.gif

The pain you are going through now will fade away once everything is back in place with the feel of new, fresh and clean! When we had ours done I could not believe how dirty it was even with me vacuuming everyday and cleaning 2-3 times a year..
Copperhead said:
I think I mentioned the final straw was the couple with the grape soda that exploded everywhere. We were going to put this off another year but after that I just could not face that room again. We could NOT get that grape stain out. When we pulled all the throw rugs out and removed the floor lamps, ugh, it was just hideous under all of that. (BTW, I have to put something on the bottoms of all those floor lamps before they go back into the rooms. They are all rusted.)
When I went to pick out the color I told the sales rep that it has to hide 'coffee stains and that nasty dust line around the molding'. She said it was the first time anyone had picked a rug color based on coffee and dust.
Altho, that dust line won't show up in earnest for a few years! And we'll keep up with it better than had been done.
Bree said:
At least, who's mentioned to her! I picked a berber for our family room on what it could hide... one of the boys got into a makeup kit when they were three... and was found by my best friend as the boy was smearing it on the toy box. She came upstairs saying that the lipstick had gotten into "the amazingly well chosen carpet," but you can't tell where the lipstick is at all. Other boy messes... invisible. I love that carpet!
=)
Kk.

There is something to buying commercial grade carpet and treating it with stainmaster. That is the way to go in this business. I simply cannot get out coffee stains in one room or on the stair runner.
We lived in the house we built with young kids and two cats (one who liked to make messes/hairballs) with commercial carpet in WA State and it looked brand new when we moved out. It was a light berber with speckles of sand. People thought we were nuts putting it in, and I am telling you nearly 10 years and there was NO wear and tear EVEN ON THE STAIRS and looked like new when we sold. We added the extra padding also - which was key to prolonging the life.

There is something to buying commercial grade carpet and treating it with stainmaster. That is the way to go in this business. I simply cannot get out coffee stains in one room or on the stair runner.
We lived in the house we built with young kids and two cats (one who liked to make messes/hairballs) with commercial carpet in WA State and it looked brand new when we moved out. It was a light berber with speckles of sand. People thought we were nuts putting it in, and I am telling you nearly 10 years and there was NO wear and tear EVEN ON THE STAIRS and looked like new when we sold. We added the extra padding also - which was key to prolonging the life..
This carpet is treated, but not commercial. The back stairs are commercial grade, but I mean commercial. The kind you find in the waiting area of a car repair. We have a berber on our side. First time the dog had a seizure her collar got caught in the loop and pulled it out, about 2 inches long. But, hubs dumped a 12 oz coffee on it a few weeks ago and I can barely tell where.
It was the stairs I was most concerned with. That seems to be where guests dump most of the coffee. I wanted a patterened runner, but the stairs have 'pie wedges' and no one wanted to tackle that. Plus the cost was too high to try to match all the corners.

We lived in the house we built with young kids and two cats (one who liked to make messes/hairballs) with commercial carpet in WA State and it looked brand new when we moved out. It was a light berber with speckles of sand. People thought we were nuts putting it in, and I am telling you nearly 10 years and there was NO wear and tear EVEN ON THE STAIRS and looked like new when we sold. We added the extra padding also - which was key to prolonging the life..
This carpet is treated, but not commercial. The back stairs are commercial grade, but I mean commercial. The kind you find in the waiting area of a car repair. We have a berber on our side. First time the dog had a seizure her collar got caught in the loop and pulled it out, about 2 inches long. But, hubs dumped a 12 oz coffee on it a few weeks ago and I can barely tell where.
It was the stairs I was most concerned with. That seems to be where guests dump most of the coffee. I wanted a patterened runner, but the stairs have 'pie wedges' and no one wanted to tackle that. Plus the cost was too high to try to match all the corners.
Bree said:
What? Commercial has nothing to do with car repair, it is any carpet that has tighter piles, denser backing, higher quality capret made to endure, you can find any style carpet in a commercial carpet. Are you saying we had car repair carpet in the house we built? Come on. I just described it below.

Copperhead said:
You could buy felt and glue to bottom of the lamps. If that isn't enough you could go with another fabric that is heavier.

It was the stairs I was most concerned with. That seems to be where guests dump most of the coffee.
You are not kidding!!! No matter what I do I can not convince guests to use our coffee lids. I am constantly spot cleaning dripps down the stairs. In fact today, I plan a full cleaning - no guests tonight!
I have thought of many ideas about covering our stairs. Would love to have wood but the sound of clomping (sp?) of heavy feet, dragging of the suitcases and scaring nixed that idea. Then the idea of wood with a runner...two types of cleaning materials then. Guess I will just keep them fully carpeted and be content. No perfect solution.

Bree said:
What? Commercial has nothing to do with car repair, it is any carpet that has tighter piles, denser backing, higher quality capret made to endure, you can find any style carpet in a commercial carpet. Are you saying we had car repair carpet in the house we built? Come on. I just described it below.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
When we explained what we wanted for the back stairs, they took us to a display that was labeled 'commercial carpet'. When I asked about carpet she wanted to know if it was for home or commercial? She said, 'All of our commercial carpet is in the warehouse'. Around here 'commercial carpet' is what gets installed in dining rooms in restaurants or in hotel bedrooms and hallways or in lobbies in office buildings. You know exactly what it looks like...some sort of overall floral or geometric pattern that hides stains. Not berbers or plush piles that are treated.
I was sort of wondering what you had installed, yes.
So, another difference in how things are called in different places. What I bought is mid-range on price, dense pile, treated 'home' carpet with a 10 year warranty and a high wear rating. No where is it stated it is 'commercial' because that means something else entirely here.

Back