The Anti-Fruit Day

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Today I was so excited, you know how it is, we always have strawberries somewhere in our breakfasts, fruit starter, etc. To find big juicy red ripe strawberries is a thrill! So today I was thrilled.
I had an abundance of fresh fruit for our 6 guests this morning. A beautiful canary melon that bled its guts all over the cutting board when I cut in in half, yes! Ripe but not soft kiwi fruit, perfectly ripe...and blueberries (not in season, but large juicy and flavorful). What a morning!
So my curse today? A tableful of guests who don't do fruit. We brought the plates back with all the fruit piled high. First course, blueberries picked out. This kills me! Eat what you like, yes, amen to that, but sheesh.
My instinct tells me that this tableful are all first time B&B goers, they are used to breakfasts that are greasy and fried and not healthy and delicious. Yes they did all eat the sausage and the eggs. But not a drop of fruit! As I dumped it all in the trash...
poke.gif

Oh, that hurts. I would rather they just handed it back and said no thanks. At least that way we will eat it.

I don't care if they don't eat the eggs or bacon, but to waste the fruit is tragic.

We use a three and two rule for our fruit. Three regular portions of different fruit and two decorative fruits. Most folks go crazy over it, but there are times I wish folks would mention if they don't eat certain fruits. I just have to remind myself that they purchased a breakfast with their room and they may do as they wish with it. If I get the sense that they are breakfast birds, I'll ask if they want they fruit in a TO GO container for a lunch time snack. That usually is well received. Otherwise, I just gird my nerves and dispose of it.
The little boy in me wants to run out there and say,"You know- this fruit is great at fighting cancer, and this little fruit is great for keeping your system moving, and this fruit bursting with anti-aging properties, and this little fruit......

We use a three and two rule for our fruit. Three regular portions of different fruit and two decorative fruits. Most folks go crazy over it, but there are times I wish folks would mention if they don't eat certain fruits. I just have to remind myself that they purchased a breakfast with their room and they may do as they wish with it. If I get the sense that they are breakfast birds, I'll ask if they want they fruit in a TO GO container for a lunch time snack. That usually is well received. Otherwise, I just gird my nerves and dispose of it.
The little boy in me wants to run out there and say,"You know- this fruit is great at fighting cancer, and this little fruit is great for keeping your system moving, and this fruit bursting with anti-aging properties, and this little fruit.......
One guy had the kiwi fruit in the center and the rest of it around it on the plate, when I took his plate I said "Oh a kiwi shrine" it was actually pretty funny, if you saw it you would understand. But I dumped it all in the bin, like everything else.
I will also add, that this was the same feeling I have when I make a special trek to the farmer's market and spend more on locally grown and they don't touch it, it does hurt. It is just food, I understand that, but as innkeepers we work so hard to make breakfast extra special! Maybe I will start serving chicken fried steak and gravy. But ya know every day is different, for every person who is here for a romantic getaway, there is someone who is not. It all comes out in the wash... (just wish I wasn't stuck in the high speed spin cycle!)
wow.gif

The little boy in me wants to run out there and say,"You know- this fruit is great at fighting cancer, and this little fruit is great for keeping your system moving, and this fruit bursting with anti-aging properties, and this little fruit.......
One guy had the kiwi fruit in the center and the rest of it around it on the plate, when I took his plate I said "Oh a kiwi shrine" it was actually pretty funny, if you saw it you would understand. But I dumped it all in the bin, like everything else.
I will also add, that this was the same feeling I have when I make a special trek to the farmer's market and spend more on locally grown and they don't touch it, it does hurt. It is just food, I understand that, but as innkeepers we work so hard to make breakfast extra special! Maybe I will start serving chicken fried steak and gravy. But ya know every day is different, for every person who is here for a romantic getaway, there is someone who is not. It all comes out in the wash... (just wish I wasn't stuck in the high speed spin cycle!)
wow.gif

Isn't it funny how you can go through dozens of breakfasts with clean plates and compliments to the chef, and then you get someone who won't eat the really incredible, locally sourced, super delicious breakfast treat you made them, and bam! All my cooking insecurities come rushing in.

That would kill me too! I suppose that is why many places go to a fruit "buffet", where any fruit that is untouched can at least be eaten by the innkeeper! Portion control could be a problem with the buffet approach, but if I had the same "no fruit" group for a second day I would surely put out a tray of fruit and say "help yourselves".

That would kill me too! I suppose that is why many places go to a fruit "buffet", where any fruit that is untouched can at least be eaten by the innkeeper! Portion control could be a problem with the buffet approach, but if I had the same "no fruit" group for a second day I would surely put out a tray of fruit and say "help yourselves"..
It is why I went to the serve yourself fruit bowl. I used to fix something pretty only to have to toss Now they pick out the fruit they like and leave the rest for my "garbage can" (DH).

You need chickens. ;).
Yes, chickens would love that fruit! Next life I have chickens. I still do not have the patience right now to keep other living things alive.
This morning I was at the Park scattering "eggs" for 3 age-groups of kids. I was pleased to see thre were only 2 that I wanted to have a little talk with - proud of me, I managed better than I expected I would to keep my mouth shut. Your comment triggered the desired thought.

You need chickens. ;).
Yes, chickens would love that fruit! Next life I have chickens. I still do not have the patience right now to keep other living things alive.
This morning I was at the Park scattering "eggs" for 3 age-groups of kids. I was pleased to see thre were only 2 that I wanted to have a little talk with - proud of me, I managed better than I expected I would to keep my mouth shut. Your comment triggered the desired thought.
When I was in grad school, a prof came over to my parents home to check out our horse fence. The son was horrible. As they left, my dad (the sweetest guy who ever lived) said " I never met a child before I wanted to abuse".....

JB - that fruit sounded so wonderful...just your description of it made my mouth water. Yes, I hate it too when the guests pass on the beautiful fruit. Just try it for crying out loud!!! It won't kill you!!

Back