the best dressed bed - suggestions

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldcharm

Reaction score
So, I just purchased my bed and breakfast a year ago and I'm looking to change the way the beds are dressed. Currently it's the sheets (blanket in the winter) and comforter. Two pillows for use and two decorative pillows with shams to match the comforter.
I'm looking to create a bed with all white sheets. Some sort of coverlet or duvet?? with a quilt or duvet folded at the bottom of the bed, 4 sleeping pillow and a couple throw pillows. Does anyone have recommendations? Things that work? Don't work? Actual recommendations for the most quality/economical coverlet/duvet. I know this is a broad question but any help is appreciate.
I want the bed to look very crisp, clean, warm, inviting, modern/with the times, etc....
Thanks, thanks, thanks!!
-Michael

You sandwich the blanket between two flat sheets (fold top one under and bottom one over). "Very high end" (or so I've heard) and certainly white looking. The innkeeper I met who did it said, "It's just one more sheet."
It's not for here, but it might be the look you're looking for.
=)
Kk.

I'm looking to create a bed with all white sheets. Some sort of coverlet or duvet?? with a quilt or duvet folded at the bottom of the bed, 4 sleeping pillow and a couple throw pillows.
Sounds very sharp! What color walls do you have? I think the navy blue coverlet with white sheets and patterned navy & white accessories would be clever. 4 pillows absolutely. Maybe 2 more in shams. Throw pillows we find on the floor or, worse, in the bed which means they have to be washed. Too much work.
Work in layers. Depending on where you are you may want to have the blanket on the bed all year. Coverlet on top of that and then a contrasting or coordinating duvet folded up at the bottom.
A thick mattress pad or pillow top will complete the comfort.
We're not close to any big shopping areas so we order most everything online. JC Penney has some good quality items, Bed Bath & Beyond is good too. Overstock.com ships for $2.95 and it's the same stuff that was twice as much a few months ago in major department stores. Pillows are best bought in person. We've had too many that never survived being jammed in a box for shipping. Duvet covers will be the hardest item to find in options that match your decor. They are also the most expensive item. If you can sew, you can make them in any pattern you want using sheets or by going to a fabric store that sells upholstery fabrics in large bolts.

You sandwich the blanket between two flat sheets (fold top one under and bottom one over). "Very high end" (or so I've heard) and certainly white looking. The innkeeper I met who did it said, "It's just one more sheet."
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
We do something similar to this. From the bottom up:
  1. Solid Fitted Sheet
  2. Solid Flat Sheet
  3. Blanket
  4. Printed Flat Sheet
  5. Duvet w/light down comforter (usually folded at the end of the bed)
We fold the sheets and blanket down from the top about 14" -16" layering them in such a manner that the blanket doesn't show and only about 2"-3" inches of the solid sheet shows.
We do hospital corners for all and tuck the sides of sheets and fold under the mattress. The tighter the better. The duvet is folded in accordion style in such a way that the guest can grab it the end of it and pull it right over themselves.
We have two shams, two solid and two print pillows and one throw. It looks very Martha Stewart. We received nothing but compliments.
The main advantage to triple sheeting is cleanliness. 20/20 did a feature showing how filthy hotel bed spreads were. It was pretty gross.
barf.gif
With this different approach the guest gets clean bedding every time.

Thank you everyone!!
I would assume all the 'pieces' get washed with every use?? The blanket, shams, coverlet, duvet covers etc???
Yes, I am not close to 'big shopping areas' either. I found sheet sets at JCPenneys that are wonderful... beauitfully white and wrinkle free. I have been using these for over a year.
Anyone have success with sheets from places like American Hotel Registry?
All my rooms will be painted over the next year.... most will have color but very netural, restful... blues, tans, greens, maybe a subtle orange. While I think the white and navy is beautiful, it's not really 'my style'
All the help is appreciated!! keep it coming

Michael/Oldcharm I LOVE that look - fluffy white linens. You are portraying a dream-like scene to me.
However mascara on top of the duvet, lipstick, blood and whatever else is a concern. I try to get things as PATTERNED UP as I can to hide little stains. To me THAT is the most economical way to go. You will have plenty of troubles with white on white. Keep us posted on what you do...photos if possible, we would love to see them.

oldcharm said:
I'm looking to create a bed with all white sheets. Some sort of coverlet or duvet?? with a quilt or duvet folded at the bottom of the bed, 4 sleeping pillow and a couple throw pillows. Does anyone have recommendations? Things that work? Don't work? Actual recommendations for the most quality/economical coverlet/duvet. I know this is a broad question but any help is appreciate.
I want the bed to look very crisp, clean, warm, inviting, modern/with the times, etc....
Thanks, thanks, thanks!!
-Michael
We have a bed look that I love. It's all creams, they are not all the exact same shade. I like this look better than all the exact same white or cream. And the other good thing about that look is you don't have to sort things since none of them are an exact match. We do a triple sheet with a white button duvet cover
Just make sure what you purchase can be bleached in case of a spill.
But we, even with allowing wine in the rooms, have had no big problems with stains. If I see one it's usually from one of our old dryers, and I take care of that by carefully spotting the spot with a bleach and water solution until it's gone and then rinse.
We have purchased ours from Overstock.com.
RIki

Thank you everyone!!
I would assume all the 'pieces' get washed with every use?? The blanket, shams, coverlet, duvet covers etc???
Yes, I am not close to 'big shopping areas' either. I found sheet sets at JCPenneys that are wonderful... beauitfully white and wrinkle free. I have been using these for over a year.
Anyone have success with sheets from places like American Hotel Registry?
All my rooms will be painted over the next year.... most will have color but very netural, restful... blues, tans, greens, maybe a subtle orange. While I think the white and navy is beautiful, it's not really 'my style'
All the help is appreciated!! keep it coming.
Sheets are washed after every guest. Everything else is on a schedule based on room occupancy. After 10 days of the room being occupied everything goes in the wash. Of course any kind of stain is attended to immediately. If you are not using blankets or top sheets as the hotels have gone to then you will have to wash the duvets after each guest.

I use white sheets and white blankets. In the spring and summer I put quilts on the beds, with a down comforter folded at the end of the bed. In the fall and winter I put the comforter in a white battenburg lace duvet cover and keep the quilt folded at the end of the bed. The duvet covers look very crisp and beautiful. And they clean very nicely. I've never had a stain that I couldn't get out with GONZO. I found the comforters online at www.battenburglace.com. They also have curtains, tissue covers, TP holders, and a whole lot of other accessories.

I use white sheets and white blankets. In the spring and summer I put quilts on the beds, with a down comforter folded at the end of the bed. In the fall and winter I put the comforter in a white battenburg lace duvet cover and keep the quilt folded at the end of the bed. The duvet covers look very crisp and beautiful. And they clean very nicely. I've never had a stain that I couldn't get out with GONZO. I found the comforters online at www.battenburglace.com. They also have curtains, tissue covers, TP holders, and a whole lot of other accessories..
Country Girl said:
I use white sheets and white blankets. In the spring and summer I put quilts on the beds, with a down comforter folded at the end of the bed. In the fall and winter I put the comforter in a white battenburg lace duvet cover and keep the quilt folded at the end of the bed. The duvet covers look very crisp and beautiful. And they clean very nicely. I've never had a stain that I couldn't get out with GONZO. I found the comforters online at www.battenburglace.com. They also have curtains, tissue covers, TP holders, and a whole lot of other accessories.
Thanks for the link! Beautiful linen.
Can everyone let us know if we can buy any of it wholesale when they post links, every little bit helps. :)

I use white sheets and white blankets. In the spring and summer I put quilts on the beds, with a down comforter folded at the end of the bed. In the fall and winter I put the comforter in a white battenburg lace duvet cover and keep the quilt folded at the end of the bed. The duvet covers look very crisp and beautiful. And they clean very nicely. I've never had a stain that I couldn't get out with GONZO. I found the comforters online at www.battenburglace.com. They also have curtains, tissue covers, TP holders, and a whole lot of other accessories..
beautiful.. thank you...
but lace is really not the look I was going for... looking for a bit more modern/traditional....
Thanks

beautiful.. thank you...
but lace is really not the look I was going for... looking for a bit more modern/traditional....
Thanks

Back