the 'best' part of waking up!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I offer Mimosas on New Years Day, most people turn them down. OK, more for me!! :)

It seems that several b&bs offer wine with check-in or at some time during the day....
If someone offered me a mimosa with breakfast, I'd gladly take it! ;)

No. I do not offer booze at any time. Not stepping in any doo-doo with any issues of any kind.

As someone said check your local laws to see if you need to be permited to do this. Here, we can 'give' a guest liquor without a permit. Our ins. co. is fine with us giving a bottle of champage to our guests for special occasions. We do not advertise this so it is only offered when they confirm the reservation.
Edited to add: The champagne is placed in their room after they leave for dinner or delivered to their room once it has been established they are in for the night. - I can not be 100% positive that they will not leave after drinking (not taking their car keys away) but do all I can. Since they are here for an anniversary or honeymoon (only reasons I give this) they are usually in for the night when they return from their evening out.
To answer your question, I have not offered liqour beverages at breakfast..I think that if I were so serve later in the morning I might think about it, but my breakfast is at 8:30 and do not think I would get that many takers anyway.

We put a bottle of sparkling wine in the guests' room as we are wine country, and many of them cap it and use some for a mimosa in the morning. It's great fun. We do have our B&B ABC license.
I do know from the wineries, that if you have a gathering/meeting with alcohol,unlike some other states, such as Maryland, there is no liability law (aka Liquor Liability) in Virginia under which the host of such a meeting can be held legally responsible for someone's acts to themselves or someone else after a meeting due to intoxication.
But we plan to check with a lawyer to make sure we know all the current regs since we do serve. We know what the ABC told us, but feel it would be good to check with the legal experts as well.
RIki

We put a bottle of sparkling wine in the guests' room as we are wine country, and many of them cap it and use some for a mimosa in the morning. It's great fun. We do have our B&B ABC license.
I do know from the wineries, that if you have a gathering/meeting with alcohol,unlike some other states, such as Maryland, there is no liability law (aka Liquor Liability) in Virginia under which the host of such a meeting can be held legally responsible for someone's acts to themselves or someone else after a meeting due to intoxication.
But we plan to check with a lawyer to make sure we know all the current regs since we do serve. We know what the ABC told us, but feel it would be good to check with the legal experts as well.
RIki.
But, wherever the meeting is held and liquor is served. Doesn't the location have to have the license? Your B & B license is just to serve your guests wine. It would not do for meetings or gatherings. You need the full license for that.

I offer Mimosas on New Years Day, most people turn them down. OK, more for me!! :).
Little Blue said:
I offer Mimosas on New Years Day, most people turn them down. OK, more for me!! :)
I offer Mimosas on New Years Day too. In my state if they are complimentary, no liquor license is required. Many guests refuse them however and then there are a few that appreciate the 'hair of the dog'.

Wouldn't that be more something you would do for brunch?.
If you do it for Brunch, or „Brotzeit“ as we say in Germany. I would prefer a good beer (german of course)
cheers.gif

Only for Christmas or New Years. I do have a small amount of sherry in the rooms and it's legal for me to give it away, not sell it.

Actually for me "The Best Part of Waking UP" is to open my eyes and suck air! I have another day before me!

RIki.
But, wherever the meeting is held and liquor is served. Doesn't the location have to have the license? Your B & B license is just to serve your guests wine. It would not do for meetings or gatherings. You need the full license for that.
catlady said:
Yes the location would have to have a license. You can get a day wine tasting license here too, which I would probably have to get if I were to get a winemaker to come and perform a wine tasting. There is one winery here that will do if for groups of 10 or more, but they may be using their "remote license" to do that. I was just taking that information from a winery chat board that were discussing liability.
RIki

Back