The biggest mistakes in innkeeping I have made...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update on my double booking: The guest has written bad reviews on Yelp, TA and I expect at any moment bb.com
I sure hope it made her feel better and I'm so glad she's so perfect that she's never made a mistake in her business.
broken_heart.gif
Ouch, that is a tough review. Not only were they unhappy, but they were hungry, too. Sounds like she wanted you to offer a free night, pay for the gas it took to get there, pay for her lodging elsewhere and feed her as well. But, I see what you mean, she really went to town on how could anyone possibly make a mistake like this? Like she's never made a mistake of her own. Ever.
Are you going to respond?
Just saw the response on Yelp. Good. Short, to the point, tells the rest of the story without saying anything neg about the guest.

Update on my double booking: The guest has written bad reviews on Yelp, TA and I expect at any moment bb.com
I sure hope it made her feel better and I'm so glad she's so perfect that she's never made a mistake in her business.
broken_heart.gif
Ouch, that is a tough review. Not only were they unhappy, but they were hungry, too. Sounds like she wanted you to offer a free night, pay for the gas it took to get there, pay for her lodging elsewhere and feed her as well. But, I see what you mean, she really went to town on how could anyone possibly make a mistake like this? Like she's never made a mistake of her own. Ever.
Just saw the response on Yelp. Good. Short, to the point, tells the rest of the story without saying anything neg about the guest.
Alibi Ike said:
I did the response on TA exactly as Yelp, but added that I didn't do any more for this couple because they made it clear that they would never stay with us.
I responded to the TA last night, but it hasn't posted yet.
By the way, they never indicated that they wanted me to do anything else for them. We also were prepared that night to find a room for them AND we were going to pay $50 for dinner (paid directly to the restaurant), but when they did not want to stay in our area, I didn't offer dinner.
It seems like their entire goal in life was to find a place where they could eat gluten free.....how hard is it to find a place that serves fruit, eggs and bacon????

do you have the option to respond?.
agoodman said:
do you have the option to respond?
I did a Yelp response which posted immediately, and am waiting for TA to post my response. They joined both just to slam me. I'm waiting for one to appear on bb.com, but hopefully they will remove it because their policy is that they have to stay at the property.

agoodman said:
I did a Yelp response which posted immediately, and am waiting for TA to post my response. They joined both just to slam me. I'm waiting for one to appear on bb.com, but hopefully they will remove it because their policy is that they have to stay at the property.
Sorry BD that sucks!

broken_heart.gif
Ouch...that review also makes it sound like you have a huge place with a bunch of rooms too and how could you turn them away? Sorry this happened to you!!

agoodman said:
Breakfast Diva said:
agoodman said:
According to Yelp when someone has just one reveiw up for a while they put it aside where you have to jump through hoops to read it. This is supposed to discourage people who join just to slam companies.
Riki

agoodman said:
Breakfast Diva said:
agoodman said:
According to Yelp when someone has just one reveiw up for a while they put it aside where you have to jump through hoops to read it. This is supposed to discourage people who join just to slam companies.
Riki
Thanks for that info Egodell...I'll keep my eye on it.

agoodman said:
Breakfast Diva said:
agoodman said:
Riki
Breakfast Diva said:
If you go to my page in Yelp I only ever got one review and since it was someone who never had reviewed anything before it shows how hard it is to find/read it
RIki

My biggest mistake? Cancelling the reservation with no penalty (long story, but we really feel for her husaband, who's birthday she was ruining because she was so cheap!) and not suggesting a different B&B, that is one of the worst rated B&Bs in the city, as an alternative.

Big mistake I made was not making a wedding party pay upfront. Everything was planned,.....for August of 2009. 200 guests for a wedding ceremony at our place and my entire summer was geared around thius wedding. Rooms booked for 3 nights solid with wedding guests. We had even decorated the whole yard, verandah, etc. in their wedding colors.
The groom back out 4 days before the wedding!!!!!! Now, when it comes to wedding (and we do ceremonies only) guests must pay in full 2 mos. before. Another lesson learned

Here is a simple list from me as I was sorting out the "dog-towels" cupboard and wonder why I have a whole cupboard devoted to old towels that is valuable real estate at our inn.
#1) We bought the B&B and had a 48 hour cancellation period form the PO's. I had graduation weekend booked by a wedding party that cancelled the whole house booking in that 48 hours and we were left with bills to pay and no money to pay them.
#2) Trusting the PO's that they would be above board, after all they are innkeepers.
#3) Not sticking to my policies when I know I should. and...Sticking to my policies when I know I shouldn't (ie some things are not worth the hassle!)
#4) allowing the business to interferre in my life, being too tired to be a wife and mother.
#5) allowing guests to manipulate my time (I am the boss of me, this won't happen again)..
In re your 48-hr cancel period from the PO's, we had a slew of reservations with no info. No cc's, no phone #'s, just a name. So when they didn't show, we were totally out of luck. Couldn't even contact the guests or charge them.
Alibi Ike said:
cancel period from the PO's
What are/is "PO's", please?

Here is a simple list from me as I was sorting out the "dog-towels" cupboard and wonder why I have a whole cupboard devoted to old towels that is valuable real estate at our inn.
#1) We bought the B&B and had a 48 hour cancellation period form the PO's. I had graduation weekend booked by a wedding party that cancelled the whole house booking in that 48 hours and we were left with bills to pay and no money to pay them.
#2) Trusting the PO's that they would be above board, after all they are innkeepers.
#3) Not sticking to my policies when I know I should. and...Sticking to my policies when I know I shouldn't (ie some things are not worth the hassle!)
#4) allowing the business to interferre in my life, being too tired to be a wife and mother.
#5) allowing guests to manipulate my time (I am the boss of me, this won't happen again)..
In re your 48-hr cancel period from the PO's, we had a slew of reservations with no info. No cc's, no phone #'s, just a name. So when they didn't show, we were totally out of luck. Couldn't even contact the guests or charge them.
Alibi Ike said:
- at the centre said:
Alibi Ike said:
PO = Previous Owner
There is a glossary with all the terms that are common on these forums. A fun read, and helpful for shorthand.
regular_smile.gif

Alibi Ike said:
- at the centre said:
Alibi Ike said:
PO = Previous Owner
There is a glossary with all the terms that are common on these forums. A fun read, and helpful for shorthand.
regular_smile.gif

Thanks, Cherry64!
I've just searched the "resources" for that glossary but could not find it.
Sorry about my old and rheumy eyes, but where is the glossary link to be found please?

Alibi Ike said:
- at the centre said:
Alibi Ike said:
PO = Previous Owner
regular_smile.gif

Thanks, Cherry64!
Sorry about my old and rheumy eyes, but where is the glossary link to be found please?
https://www.innspiring.com/glossary

Alibi Ike said:
- at the centre said:
Alibi Ike said:
PO = Previous Owner
regular_smile.gif

Thanks, Cherry64!
https://www.innspiring.com/glossary
gillumhouse said:
Thanks for your lightning response, gillumhouse!
That really is a wonderful resource...

agoodman said:
Breakfast Diva said:
agoodman said:
Riki
Breakfast Diva said:
If you go to my page in Yelp I only ever got one review and since it was someone who never had reviewed anything before it shows how hard it is to find/read it
RIki
Update:
Riki,
You were absolutely right! I just checked my yelp listing and the bad review has disappear and is in the "filtered" area. My rating has returned to the highest rating (it had dropped immediately following the bad review). The bad review was filtered because she only did this 1 review and that's totally not what yelp is all about. Unfortunately, there were 2 more great reviews filtered also, but what the heck, as long as my listing is back to normal, I won't complain!

Back