The British are Coming The British are Coming! Or uh ...maybe not - INN the news 07.11.08

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Staycations: day trips and short breaks to replace fortnight vacations
Times Online - UK
David Weston, a spokesman for the Bed and Breakfast Association, said: “There are members who are getting nervous as it’s already July and some people are ...

You can leave a comment on this website, that cottoned on to our staycation term...and invite them over for some budget travel this side of the pond.
regular_smile.gif

They are no different then us. Those who have money will still travel..like those coming to the states. The rest are doing what they need to do to keep their heads above water. We ..the world....are in for some tough times ahead I fear.

They are no different then us. Those who have money will still travel..like those coming to the states. The rest are doing what they need to do to keep their heads above water. We ..the world....are in for some tough times ahead I fear..
catlady said:
They are no different then us. Those who have money will still travel..like those coming to the states. The rest are doing what they need to do to keep their heads above water. We ..the world....are in for some tough times ahead I fear.
Like the ones here this week from the UK with the ginormous SUV? Driving everywhere for 3 weeks. They NEED an SUV for 2 people? Yeesh. Yes, those who have the money will spend it. But argue about the price of the room! (Not to say only Brits rent SUV's, lots of guests have SUV rentals.)

We've had 11 reservations from the Brits so far this year. A travel agent from Gremany recently asked if I would give her a discount. I stated that we don't give discounts considering our proximity to the center of town and that we are cheaper than the hotels and offer a whole lot more. She booked for two nights.
teeth_smile.gif

We've had 11 reservations from the Brits so far this year. A travel agent from Gremany recently asked if I would give her a discount. I stated that we don't give discounts considering our proximity to the center of town and that we are cheaper than the hotels and offer a whole lot more. She booked for two nights.
teeth_smile.gif
We rarely get reservations, just a lot of walk-ins.

They are no different then us. Those who have money will still travel..like those coming to the states. The rest are doing what they need to do to keep their heads above water. We ..the world....are in for some tough times ahead I fear..
catlady said:
Like the ones here this week from the UK with the ginormous SUV? Driving everywhere for 3 weeks. They NEED an SUV for 2 people? Yeesh. Yes, those who have the money will spend it. But argue about the price of the room! (Not to say only Brits rent SUV's, lots of guests have SUV rentals.)
As a host who has 99% of guests with rental cars you can bet that the UK people DID NOT ask for the SUV. North Americans demand small cars and even though the Brits ask for one when reserving a car they are generally "upgraded" to a large one because there are no small ones left. They generally don't like to drive a large car and especially because they are driving on the 'wrong side' of the road. So...don't blame them.

teeth_smile.gif
Hate walk-ins. Had one couple stop by late yesterday afternoon. Told them I had a room available but it wasn't ready but could be if they gave us an hour. Asked our rate and didn't like it. Hope they ended up at Motel 6.

catlady said:
As a host who has 99% of guests with rental cars you can bet that the UK people DID NOT ask for the SUV. North Americans demand small cars and even though the Brits ask for one when reserving a car they are generally "upgraded" to a large one because there are no small ones left. They generally don't like to drive a large car and especially because they are driving on the 'wrong side' of the road. So...don't blame them.
ginocat said:
I was going to ask them about the car. I didn't because I didn't want to get into anything 'political' with the guests that early in the day!

catlady said:
That's not true for every group from the UK. Had a European family here recently driving an SUV, which they asked for. They wanted one for the extra roominess.

catlady said:
That's not true for every group from the UK. Had a European family here recently driving an SUV, which they asked for. They wanted one for the extra roominess.
muirford said:
Most are stuffed into little cars every day, so a larger luxury vehicle of any sort is a real treat. Most don't take anything like we do when we rent a car. They see American cars in all the movies and tv and rent something they do not have in England. My b-i-l always rents a mustang.

catlady said:
muirford said:
Most are stuffed into little cars every day, so a larger luxury vehicle of any sort is a real treat. Most don't take anything like we do when we rent a car. They see American cars in all the movies and tv and rent something they do not have in England. My b-i-l always rents a mustang.
This group needed the room, if you take my point. All Europeans are not immune to the excesses normally associated with Americans.

catlady said:
muirford said:
This group needed the room, if you take my point. All Europeans are not immune to the excesses normally associated with Americans.
muirford said:
You are so polite.
I had a retired British Airways pilot here last year. He phoned for the booking and expressed his apologies at requiring a king sized bed as he had recently had back surgery. etc etc.
Same same as you said above. I thought, come on, make excuses and all that when you are overweight? How odd. But king sized beds are not the norm in England, so it was a big deal to him apparently.

catlady said:
muirford said:
muirford said:
You are so polite.
I had a retired British Airways pilot here last year. He phoned for the booking and expressed his apologies at requiring a king sized bed as he had recently had back surgery. etc etc.
Same same as you said above. I thought, come on, make excuses and all that when you are overweight? How odd. But king sized beds are not the norm in England, so it was a big deal to him apparently.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I get the 'my husband is a large man' when I get requests for a king bed. In our case (go ahead and laugh) hubs says, 'Get a king bed...more romping room!'

catlady said:
Bree said:
]
That reminds me....a friend had customers trying to get the rooms for less....she said no. They kept asking, so she said ok, 15 dollars off.....that wasn't enough, so they left. 3 Hours later they came back, could not fnd another room, they ended up paying full price...just thought that was funny...

catlady said:
I just had german couples discuss this over breakfast. The new Porsche, BMW , Mercedes, they all have SUV's now. They are small, but they said it's still too big. Only "Show Off's" would buy them...
I am from germany, and everytime I go tovisit, driving the narrow roads, I could not imagine driving my SUV there.
Wendy is right, unless they have tons of money and like to splurge, they would not purpoesly asked for that SUV.

teeth_smile.gif
Hate walk-ins. Had one couple stop by late yesterday afternoon. Told them I had a room available but it wasn't ready but could be if they gave us an hour. Asked our rate and didn't like it. Hope they ended up at Motel 6.
We rely heavily on walk ins....in fact, just had a call for a room, better get going :)
75% of our income are walkins

Back