The challenge - exclamation mark maintenance

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As with words like tremendous and awesome, exclamation points are overused by many people. They should be used rarely and only after giving it a tremendous, awesome amount of thought!.
I think we agreed that "gourmet" is another adjective that is overused. I have seen "gourmet popcorn".
Tom said:
I think we agreed that "gourmet" is another adjective that is overused. I have seen "gourmet popcorn".
or the word 'yummy'
ugh.

As with words like tremendous and awesome, exclamation points are overused by many people. They should be used rarely and only after giving it a tremendous, awesome amount of thought!.
Tom said:
or the word 'yummy'
ugh.
Penelope said:
Tom said:
or the word 'yummy'
ugh.
If we want to go on pet peeves mine is anything that ends in "oh my!" I almost throw up.
Bottles and Glasses and Wine Oh My! or whatever they put oh my on the end of...
Yum and Yummy are high on the index of should be banished words for me too P.

Only in the guest quotes... and they put them there, not me!

None on my home page but found two scattered about in text on other pages. Not too bad, huh??!!

i suppose this applies to email newsletters as well. people love love love to use multiple exclamation points in their submissions to the weekly emails and monthly newsletters i put together. i delete most - leave one or two. it just grates on me and i'm glad to have some backup.
i get a lot of sentences from contributors that read like this:
DON'T YOU???!!!!
ugh. bold face, all caps, with lots of question marks and exclamation points. i refuse to send out things like that.
now ... i personally have this awful habit of not using capital letters in personal correspondence. (as you see). do you suppose it's psychological? a sort of rebellion against all the proofreading and editing i have to do in the real world? or maybe it's just proof of my own crazy.
shades_smile.gif
when I don't use caps, it's pure laziness. easier not to. funny, eh?
yes, i am lazy here.
also lazy on facebook and in email.
i type all day/night for my 3 part time jobs. and i am just chillin' on my own down time. i am anti-capitalism! ha.
i realize that some might not read my posts because they find it annoying.
TheBeachHouse said:

i suppose this applies to email newsletters as well. people love love love to use multiple exclamation points in their submissions to the weekly emails and monthly newsletters i put together. i delete most - leave one or two. it just grates on me and i'm glad to have some backup.
DON'T YOU???!!!!
ugh. bold face, all caps, with lots of question marks and exclamation points. i refuse to send out things like that.
now ... i personally have this awful habit of not using capital letters in personal correspondence. (as you see). do you suppose it's psychological? a sort of rebellion against all the proofreading and editing i have to do in the real world? or maybe it's just proof of my own crazy.
shades_smile.gif
yes, i am lazy here.
i type all day/night for my 3 part time jobs. and i am just chillin' on my own down time. i am anti-capitalism! ha.
TheBeachHouse said:
seashanty said:
yes, i am lazy here.
TheBeachHouse said:
Absolutely not. what is annoying is the person who types 10000 words into one paragraph that no one can read. caps or not, doesn't matter to me, i enjoy reading what you write and your perspective, and I thank you for it.
heart.gif

DON'T YOU???!!!!
shades_smile.gif
yes, i am lazy here.
TheBeachHouse said:
seashanty said:
yes, i am lazy here.
TheBeachHouse said:
Absolutely not. what is annoying is the person who types 10000 words into one paragraph that no one can read. caps or not, doesn't matter to me, i enjoy reading what you write and your perspective, and I thank you for it.
heart.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
what is annoying is the person who types 10000 words into one paragraph that no one can read.
Periods to separate sentences are nice, and they don't cost much. If it's just one run-on sentence that goes on forever, I won't even try to read it.

DON'T YOU???!!!!
shades_smile.gif
yes, i am lazy here.
TheBeachHouse said:
seashanty said:
yes, i am lazy here.
TheBeachHouse said:
heart.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
what is annoying is the person who types 10000 words into one paragraph that no one can read.
Periods to separate sentences are nice, and they don't cost much. If it's just one run-on sentence that goes on forever, I won't even try to read it.
Really? You won't read a run-on sentence simply because it never seems to get to the point and yet drones on and one about many different subjects that seemingly shouldn't be in the same sentence and yet they are, like honey flowing from a canister into a river and then down the stream into oblivion where it is met by a double rainbow and a unicorn who doesn't know how to do math unless it's the third Tuesday in the month of August and the windows to Bill Gates house is open.

Guilty - especially here. I do get excited about what we talk about.
Just checked the home Page and other than the Calling all Vets!!! I posted last night re Veterans Day, I only had one. It was in the sentence that breakfast at the Gillum House was worth getting up for! No others.
Found one on the about us page referring to one of our NJROTC kids who p;aced first at a rifle meet at Camp Perry - the team is coached by DH.
In checking my blogs even, I was surprised to find very few ! and each one really WAS used for emphasis - as in: To our surprise, We Won!
Dang, I am better than I thought I was. I promise to curb my enthusiam here for as long as I remember to do it. Considering m memory, that may last about 5 minutes.

DON'T YOU???!!!!
shades_smile.gif
yes, i am lazy here.
TheBeachHouse said:
seashanty said:
yes, i am lazy here.
TheBeachHouse said:
heart.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Really? You won't read a run-on sentence simply because it never seems to get to the point and yet drones on and one about many different subjects that seemingly shouldn't be in the same sentence and yet they are, like honey flowing from a canister into a river and then down the stream into oblivion where it is met by a double rainbow and a unicorn who doesn't know how to do math unless it's the third Tuesday in the month of August and the windows to Bill Gates house is open.
Jon Sable said:
Really? You won't read a run-on sentence simply because...
Sorry, above is as far as I cared to endure ;-)
Too much work to decipher run-on sentences. Life is too short.

Holy cow! As I updated the room pages I culled the !!!. Not all of them. About 95%. Sometimes, I'm just happy and I know it! More to be done as I make changes to other pages.

Could't find one anywhere on our website, except in guest comments. Should I go in an edit them? It seems dishonest to change a guest review, even if to 'tone it down'.

I just recently noticed that I was using them too often. Mostly on FB. And I sit there trying to decide what punctuation to put at the end of the post. An ! might be too strong, a . might be to meh. Often lately, I put nothing, leaving it open ended, non-committal. It's just how I roll!

I just recently noticed that I was using them too often. Mostly on FB. And I sit there trying to decide what punctuation to put at the end of the post. An ! might be too strong, a . might be to meh. Often lately, I put nothing, leaving it open ended, non-committal. It's just how I roll!.
The period is coming in for some tough times in the age of texting. Apparently, a period means you're mad or upset or unhappy. It now means something else besides 'thought over; moving on' the way it used to do.

Back