The Chargeback That's Not A Chargeback

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sure hope you prevail with this, what jerks (not what I wanted to call them but!)!!
I do have some conserns. I know you know the TA review was theirs, but did they use their names in that review? They are using fraud so the story does not match. If they used denied service, and you come back with the reason & TA review, they are out to dry.
If there is no tracing their name to the review or to the email address you sent confirmation they can simply deny either belong to them. Do you state their name in the email - Dear John Doe? - We all know that the merchant services is not going to go to great lengths to investigate this. Since they phoned to book, is it possible that you would have a way to track that call - list of your toll free calls or your cell phone?
Fraud! They have thought this one through. What jerks! Just think what they would have been like if they had stayed..
copperhead said:
I sure hope you prevail with this, what jerks (not what I wanted to call them but!)!!
I do have some conserns. I know you know the TA review was theirs, but did they use their names in that review? They are using fraud so the story does not match. If they used denied service, and you come back with the reason & TA review, they are out to dry.
If there is no tracing their name to the review or to the email address you sent confirmation they can simply deny either belong to them. Do you state their name in the email - Dear John Doe? - We all know that the merchant services is not going to go to great lengths to investigate this. Since they phoned to book, is it possible that you would have a way to track that call - list of your toll free calls or your cell phone?
Fraud! They have thought this one through. What jerks! Just think what they would have been like if they had stayed.
I have the same concerns you do, which is why I'm prepared to go to court.
The TA name they created is part of their e-mail address. If it were fraud, how would I have all their information, such as address, phone number, credit card number, both of their names, etc. Their name is used in their confirmation letter.
No way to track the call since we got rid of our toll free#.
Part of his threat to me was "you DO know it's illegal to charge a charge without permission", as if I was going to have legal trouble. He also said to DH "you don't know who you're messing with, pal."
Well, HE doesn't know who he's messing with!
angry_smile.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
copperhead said:
Fraud! They have thought this one through. What jerks! Just think what they would have been like if they had stayed.
I have the same concerns you do, which is why I'm prepared to go to court.
The TA name they created is part of their e-mail address. If it were fraud, how would I have all their information, such as address, phone number, credit card number, both of their names, etc. Their name is used in their confirmation letter.
No way to track the call since we got rid of our toll free#.
Part of his threat to me was "you DO know it's illegal to charge a charge without permission", as if I was going to have legal trouble. He also said to DH "you don't know who you're messing with, pal."
Well, HE doesn't know who he's messing with!
angry_smile.gif
Does not TA provide the reviewer's email so that you can email them? If they do, have they emaile you directly ,and if they have. is it the same email?

The struggle continues. We were denied the charges by their credit card. They said we had to show that the guest read and agreed to our policies. This was a phone reservation, so we don't have that proof.
We will be going to town tomorrow to start a small claims case.
I'm also having our website changed so that there will be a page where phone reservations have to click that they have read and agreed to our policies. It will then be logged into our tracking program (Intell-a-keeper). When a phone reservation comes in, they will have to do this while I'm on the phone with them. If they are not next to a computer, then they won't have a reservation until they get to their computer and do it.
It's such a shame that we business owners have to cover ourselves this way.

How can it be fraudulent then? Sounds like the credit card company is on their side. I know they are but it still is #$%%$^%^$!!

The struggle continues. We were denied the charges by their credit card. They said we had to show that the guest read and agreed to our policies. This was a phone reservation, so we don't have that proof.
I'm also having our website changed so that there will be a page where phone reservations have to click that they have read and agreed to our policies. It will then be logged into our tracking program (Intell-a-keeper). When a phone reservation comes in, they will have to do this while I'm on the phone with them. If they are not next to a computer, then they won't have a reservation until they get to their computer and do it.
It's such a shame that we business owners have to cover ourselves this way..
Breakfast Diva said:
BD do you send an email confirmations to your guests? You could do what I do, I require guests reply so I know it was received. Our confirmation includes 'by replying you agree to the terms of this reservation'.

I'm so sorry about this. Of course, I wonder how they will fight in small claims court... and if they have to stay, where they will stay :)
Good luck and fight the good fight.

Breakfast Diva said:
BD do you send an email confirmations to your guests? You could do what I do, I require guests reply so I know it was received. Our confirmation includes 'by replying you agree to the terms of this reservation'.
copperhead said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Yes, I do send the e-mail confirmation. It seems like a nightmare to have to keep track of whether they re-send it to you. How do you keep track and how much time do you have to spend?

I'm so sorry about this. Of course, I wonder how they will fight in small claims court... and if they have to stay, where they will stay :)
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Thanks Eric. If nothing else, I want to piss them off that they'll have to travel 2 hours to get here on a work day!

Breakfast Diva said:
copperhead said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Yes, I do send the e-mail confirmation. It seems like a nightmare to have to keep track of whether they re-send it to you. How do you keep track and how much time do you have to spend?
About 5% of my guests reply to the email I send even tho I no longer say it is a 'confirmation'. I could call them or email them but this seems like such a pain.

Breakfast Diva said:
copperhead said:
Breakfast Diva said:
I use an email addy just for reservations and replies. The subject of the confirmation is "last name, Date(s) of stay, my B&B. I only reqire a reply for phone rez and tell them to finalize their reservation they must reply to the confirmation within 24hrs or the reservation is removed. This gets their urgent attention.
Keep the replies in online folders for the rez month, once the year has passed I archive under a yearly folder and keep for 1 year.

Breakfast Diva said:
copperhead said:
Breakfast Diva said:
I use an email addy just for reservations and replies. The subject of the confirmation is "last name, Date(s) of stay, my B&B. I only reqire a reply for phone rez and tell them to finalize their reservation they must reply to the confirmation within 24hrs or the reservation is removed. This gets their urgent attention.
Keep the replies in online folders for the rez month, once the year has passed I archive under a yearly folder and keep for 1 year.
I think our reservation confirmation webpage will do the trick. You have to enter your name and the "innkeeper password" which I will tell them on the phone. I'm already having to follow-up on some of our romantic add-on choices and can't imagine having more follow-up.
I'll let you know when the new page is finished.

Breakfast Diva said:
copperhead said:
Breakfast Diva said:
I think our reservation confirmation webpage will do the trick. You have to enter your name and the "innkeeper password" which I will tell them on the phone. I'm already having to follow-up on some of our romantic add-on choices and can't imagine having more follow-up.
I'll let you know when the new page is finished.
It stinks. But now we all know. We had an innkeeper require us to write a letter and fax it to her stating we understood her no refunds cancellation policy before she would take our rez. And then she ended up in the hospital and left us alone in the inn. We understood then why it was a no refunds policy.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Thanks Eric. If nothing else, I want to piss them off that they'll have to travel 2 hours to get here on a work day!
Breakfast Diva said:
Yup, that's one of the worst parts of small claims, the wasting your day to be there with hardly any compensation. Plus, I assume you can bring in their libel by producing their review, etc.

Wow, this STINKS! How about their review??? The woman stated she knew about the policy!
GOOD FOR YOU for filing the small claims case. What a nightmare though. These people are JERKS.

make sure you have coppies printed of theri trip adiviser in case it majically "disappears" got to have a back up!

Wow, this STINKS! How about their review??? The woman stated she knew about the policy!
GOOD FOR YOU for filing the small claims case. What a nightmare though. These people are JERKS.
If they didn't sign their names to the review they can always claim they didn't write it.

If they didn't sign their names to the review they can always claim they didn't write it.
Since I haven't read it, I will assume they didn't sign their names, but likely the city, the incident description and other details will be enough for any sane judge. Judges are supposedly highly educated and careful people.

Since I haven't read it, I will assume they didn't sign their names, but likely the city, the incident description and other details will be enough for any sane judge. Judges are supposedly highly educated and careful people.
I think BD said that the user name they chose for TA has part of their email address in it. I wouldn't give up on the cc either, a lot of times you lose round one but put together some more evidence to support your case and if it goes to the next review level you might just win.

Breakfast Diva said:
copperhead said:
Breakfast Diva said:
About 5% of my guests reply to the email I send even tho I no longer say it is a 'confirmation'. I could call them or email them but this seems like such a pain.
Alibi Ike said:
I've been considering doing this (requesting a reply that they read, understood, agreed to ...etc.), but was worried that it would be MORE work following up..I may give it a try again..

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Are these the people who claimed the dogs were service dogs? Don't say anything to them, but they had better show up in court with the dogs and wtih service dog vests or their case will be in doubt. If they don't have them with them assisting in court, why did they need them to stay at your inn?
RIki

Back