The Chargeback That's Not A Chargeback

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
As I knew I would, I received notification today from my merchant services regarding the dog people. It's not a "chargeback", it's a "fraud review". Yup, they claim that both the deposit and separate charge for the other nights are a fraudulent charge. All the merchant services is requesting is a copy of the charge slip. Well, of course I don't have their signature on either of them, so I also faxed all documentation I had to prove that they made a reservation with us and violated our policies. I included copies of their TA review to prove that they did make a reservation with us.
Hopefully, this will be over quickly, but if for some reason the guest wins, then we plan on taking them to small claims court. When a judge see all the policies and documentation, I can't imagine we wouldn't prevail! Hopefully it won't come to that, but for more than $500, I'm going to be like a pit bull with this one.
Fraud......yeah, right! If it were fraud, then how would I have all their information.

Interesting. I would also proceed to Small Claims. Might as well get every penny your can. In the US can you send a bailiff to collect on a judgement? That's always fun :)

Interesting. I would also proceed to Small Claims. Might as well get every penny your can. In the US can you send a bailiff to collect on a judgement? That's always fun :).
Works different here. A sheriff or rep can serve them the papers, but collection is up to you. If they don't pay, you can garnish their wages if you know where they work. Because of social media, I know where this guy works! LOL
I really hope it won't come to that, but these people need to be taught a lesson.

Interesting. I would also proceed to Small Claims. Might as well get every penny your can. In the US can you send a bailiff to collect on a judgement? That's always fun :).
Works different here. A sheriff or rep can serve them the papers, but collection is up to you. If they don't pay, you can garnish their wages if you know where they work. Because of social media, I know where this guy works! LOL
I really hope it won't come to that, but these people need to be taught a lesson.
As an ISP we had to do that once. Had to pay the bailiff, but I could collect it from him. The bailiff showed up at his place, placed a lien on his personal possessions and handed him a sheet with the auction date. I got a quick call and cheques to pay the judgement!
Good luck

GO get 'em and we will cros our fingers for you. Does your online reservation have a spot where they check that they have read the cancellation policies? I wonder if that will hold up for the cc processor.
Best,
Riki

GO get 'em and we will cros our fingers for you. Does your online reservation have a spot where they check that they have read the cancellation policies? I wonder if that will hold up for the cc processor.
Best,
Riki
egoodell said:
Best,
Riki
Thanks Riki. This was a phone reservation, so no way for them to click a box and confirm policies. I do have proof from our reservation system (Res Key) that an e-mail went out to them and submitted a copy of the e-mail which contains our policies and also I submitted our policies page of the website and submitted the bad TA review where they admit they made a reservation. Since they are claiming fraud, I really don't see how we can lose, but you just never know!

dog-the-bounty-hunter-duane-chapman-wants-to-talk-to-randy-and-evi-quaid.jpg

I sure hope you prevail with this, what jerks (not what I wanted to call them but!)!!
I do have some conserns. I know you know the TA review was theirs, but did they use their names in that review? They are using fraud so the story does not match. If they used denied service, and you come back with the reason & TA review, they are out to dry.
If there is no tracing their name to the review or to the email address you sent confirmation they can simply deny either belong to them. Do you state their name in the email - Dear John Doe? - We all know that the merchant services is not going to go to great lengths to investigate this. Since they phoned to book, is it possible that you would have a way to track that call - list of your toll free calls or your cell phone?
Fraud! They have thought this one through. What jerks! Just think what they would have been like if they had stayed.

I sure hope you prevail with this, what jerks (not what I wanted to call them but!)!!
I do have some conserns. I know you know the TA review was theirs, but did they use their names in that review? They are using fraud so the story does not match. If they used denied service, and you come back with the reason & TA review, they are out to dry.
If there is no tracing their name to the review or to the email address you sent confirmation they can simply deny either belong to them. Do you state their name in the email - Dear John Doe? - We all know that the merchant services is not going to go to great lengths to investigate this. Since they phoned to book, is it possible that you would have a way to track that call - list of your toll free calls or your cell phone?
Fraud! They have thought this one through. What jerks! Just think what they would have been like if they had stayed..
copperhead said:
Fraud! They have thought this one through. What jerks! Just think what they would have been like if they had stayed.
I have the same concerns you do, which is why I'm prepared to go to court.
The TA name they created is part of their e-mail address. If it were fraud, how would I have all their information, such as address, phone number, credit card number, both of their names, etc. Their name is used in their confirmation letter.
No way to track the call since we got rid of our toll free#.
Part of his threat to me was "you DO know it's illegal to charge a charge without permission", as if I was going to have legal trouble. He also said to DH "you don't know who you're messing with, pal."
Well, HE doesn't know who he's messing with!
angry_smile.gif

Fraud! They have thought this one through. What jerks! Just think what they would have been like if they had stayed..
copperhead said:
I have the same concerns you do, which is why I'm prepared to go to court.
The TA name they created is part of their e-mail address. If it were fraud, how would I have all their information, such as address, phone number, credit card number, both of their names, etc. Their name is used in their confirmation letter.
No way to track the call since we got rid of our toll free#.
Part of his threat to me was "you DO know it's illegal to charge a charge without permission", as if I was going to have legal trouble. He also said to DH "you don't know who you're messing with, pal."
angry_smile.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
angry_smile.gif
Snap, snap, snap! You Go Girl! ;)

Breakfast Diva said:
You are AWSOME! Good on you for the follow through! Best of luck & know that you have many cheering behind you!

BD, I am SO PROUD OF YOU! Go get 'em girl!!!!!!!
We have had a case of a phone reservation protesting a charge and because I had the date/time stamp with which I sent the email confirmation we won. Hopefully this will be the case with you, as well as the TA review. Do you know how gleeful it makes me, the idea that their writing of the crappy review could help you beat them???????

We have had a case of a phone reservation protesting a charge and because I had the date/time stamp with which I sent the email confirmation we won. Hopefully this will be the case with you, as well as the TA review. Do you know how gleeful it makes me, the idea that their writing of the crappy review could help you beat them???????.
Thanks DD!
Glad you won yours! I'm just hoping these sleeze balls are not denying that THEY were the ones that showed up here. I wouldn't put anything past them.

We have had a case of a phone reservation protesting a charge and because I had the date/time stamp with which I sent the email confirmation we won. Hopefully this will be the case with you, as well as the TA review. Do you know how gleeful it makes me, the idea that their writing of the crappy review could help you beat them???????.
Thanks DD!
Glad you won yours! I'm just hoping these sleeze balls are not denying that THEY were the ones that showed up here. I wouldn't put anything past them.
Honestly I'm wondering if THEY might not get in hot water with their issuing bank. "Fraudulent charges" is meant to be reserved for cases in which they card or number was stolen. They clearly authorized the use of the card by making a reservation. I really think the review proves that.

Did I ever tell you this guy showed up at my son's door looking for a former roommate?
Alibi Ike said:
Did I ever tell you this guy showed up at my son's door looking for a former roommate?
Story, please!!! Use false names to protect the guilty innocent ;)
Penelope said:
Alibi Ike said:
Story, please!!! Use false names to protect the guilty innocent ;)
Do you have kids? You know I don't know the whole story or even close to it! All I know is that son opened his door one day and that's who was standing there demanding that son get whoever the ex roomie was out the door. Son kept explaining ex roomie was long gone, he was the owner of the property and that they had to leave the premises. Which they did.
What son told me was the ex roomie was wanted for assault in another state. Guy was an all around jerk and son had thrown him out a long time ago.

Back