The check-in process

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always wondered why most B&B's do the card swipe/accept payment the morning you leave?? To me it seems like it would be easier and more convenient either to charge right before the guest gets there or when they arrive. I've felt bad letting the Innkeeper know I was ready to check out and they are still in the breakfast serving process. I like Country Girl's process of charging before the guest arrives and leaving everything on the bureau (unless of course they want to pay via cash/check!).

I've always wondered why most B&B's do the card swipe/accept payment the morning you leave?? To me it seems like it would be easier and more convenient either to charge right before the guest gets there or when they arrive. I've felt bad letting the Innkeeper know I was ready to check out and they are still in the breakfast serving process. I like Country Girl's process of charging before the guest arrives and leaving everything on the bureau (unless of course they want to pay via cash/check!)..
I don't charge ahead of time in case there's a change.
I've not had one person wonder, question, debate, protest, or otherwise think it was unusual to run their card when they got here. This afternoon, I had 3 business guests arrive with paper work in hand! They were ready to take care of the business part of their stay and then get to their business meeting. Now, all are back and kicked back for the evening.
For me, it's easier to take care of the paperwork up front and then be able to wish them well as they are leaving without rushing around either during breakfast or at check-out to run their card. I guess because it's just me, it works out better this way. I think some B&Bs will run the card at check-out because they have gift shops, retail sales or a tip line and then they don't have to run 2 charges which equals more credit card fees.

I've always wondered why most B&B's do the card swipe/accept payment the morning you leave?? To me it seems like it would be easier and more convenient either to charge right before the guest gets there or when they arrive. I've felt bad letting the Innkeeper know I was ready to check out and they are still in the breakfast serving process. I like Country Girl's process of charging before the guest arrives and leaving everything on the bureau (unless of course they want to pay via cash/check!)..
We sell spa services and farmer products and hold the card open so they can add on easily.

We sell spa services and farmer products and hold the card open so they can add on easily.
If you are using a lodging program for your credit card processing, swiping the card at check-in just hold that lodging amount on the card. The charge isn't finalized until check-out and any extras like gift shop items, services or robes can be added at that time simply by changing the amount charged. Most B&Bs should be using this rather than the POS systems that were common ten years ago, anyway.

I've not had one person wonder, question, debate, protest, or otherwise think it was unusual to run their card when they got here. This afternoon, I had 3 business guests arrive with paper work in hand! They were ready to take care of the business part of their stay and then get to their business meeting. Now, all are back and kicked back for the evening.
For me, it's easier to take care of the paperwork up front and then be able to wish them well as they are leaving without rushing around either during breakfast or at check-out to run their card. I guess because it's just me, it works out better this way. I think some B&Bs will run the card at check-out because they have gift shops, retail sales or a tip line and then they don't have to run 2 charges which equals more credit card fees.
Samster, same here. I do all my business at check in. And it is also my experience that business guests are the best at being prompt with all the paperwork and card in hand, and I do not even have to suggest. When it comes to the goodbyes, there is nothing else but the smiles, handshakes or even better the hugs and of course the smiles...
i am on the POS system because I do not have addons to sell but I agree that those with a gift area should use the lodging system. I prefer to swipe the card as this is even more evidence that the person was here and the charge legit. I few years ago I received an inquiry from someones CC company questioning a charge from my B&B - over 2 years prior. It was not a chargeback, just an inquiry. I produced my copy of the CC receipt with signature as well as a copy of my merchant statement where it showed it had been swiped, not keyed. Then received a notice of satisfaction. I remember this was a planned trip, booked well in advance while passing through to destination so do not know why the inquiry. Guess it wasn't a memorable stay
sad_smile.gif
Anyway this is one reason why I like to swipe the card, the other is my CC processor charges more for keyed in and I want as little as possible in those fees.

Samster, same here. I do all my business at check in. And it is also my experience that business guests are the best at being prompt with all the paperwork and card in hand, and I do not even have to suggest. When it comes to the goodbyes, there is nothing else but the smiles, handshakes or even better the hugs and of course the smiles...
i am on the POS system because I do not have addons to sell but I agree that those with a gift area should use the lodging system. I prefer to swipe the card as this is even more evidence that the person was here and the charge legit. I few years ago I received an inquiry from someones CC company questioning a charge from my B&B - over 2 years prior. It was not a chargeback, just an inquiry. I produced my copy of the CC receipt with signature as well as a copy of my merchant statement where it showed it had been swiped, not keyed. Then received a notice of satisfaction. I remember this was a planned trip, booked well in advance while passing through to destination so do not know why the inquiry. Guess it wasn't a memorable stay
sad_smile.gif
Anyway this is one reason why I like to swipe the card, the other is my CC processor charges more for keyed in and I want as little as possible in those fees.
I tell folks flat out that the cc company charges me up to the wrist when swiping the card but up to the elbow if punching in the numbers.

GeorgiaGirl said:
I've always wondered why most B&B's do the card swipe/accept payment the morning you leave?? To me it seems like it would be easier and more convenient either to charge right before the guest gets there or when they arrive. I've felt bad letting the Innkeeper know I was ready to check out and they are still in the breakfast serving process. I like Country Girl's process of charging before the guest arrives and leaving everything on the bureau (unless of course they want to pay via cash/check!).
We have had a B&B receive a bad review from a Brit about being charged "as soon as we stepped in the front door, what did they think we were going to do, run without paying?"
So many dislike the practice. So long as we have the ability, we charge at the end of the stay. Less complications for me dealing with the cc machine too.
Riki

Samster said:
I've not had one person wonder, question, debate, protest, or otherwise think it was unusual to run their card when they got here.
It's strange, but we get that a lot. 'I have to pay NOW? Before I've even seen the room?' Like you get to see the room first and pay on check-out at a hotel. Or, 'You already have my cc number, why do you need my card, just charge it to the number I gave you.' At which point, I show them the reg form with stars where the cc info goes and I say, 'That's all I have, I need the card for the machine.'
Or the guests who have booked 5 different places and some charge everything in advance, some a deposit, and they think they've already paid and are VERY certain they HAVE already paid and now they are being swindled. I tell them if they find 2 charges from me on their cc statement when they get home to call immediately.

sad_smile.gif
You're POS, not lodging? You should call your processor. I think (I'm not sure) that the processing rates are better for lodging than retail POS.

GeorgiaGirl said:
We have had a B&B receive a bad review from a Brit about being charged "as soon as we stepped in the front door, what did they think we were going to do, run without paying?"
So many dislike the practice. So long as we have the ability, we charge at the end of the stay. Less complications for me dealing with the cc machine too.
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
Yes. We've had guests leave without paying. Late arrival, staying 3 nights. We figured we'd catch them on the way out. Nope. They left at 5 AM.
And then there are the guests who assume that because I have the card number, they're all set. I don't want the additional expense of running the number manually, so we get the payment on arrival. Also, we're not always available when guests wnat to check-out. We may be cleaning, eating our own breakfast or whatever. Or, they leave right after they eat and now I'm trying to run the card in the dining room when everyone else is eating. And we have the old machine so it makes a racket!
But, it's really what works for each place. I like muirford's idea of opening a folio on arrival and then you can close it out when they're ready to leave. So if there are any add-ons, the folio is still open.

Samster said:
I've not had one person wonder, question, debate, protest, or otherwise think it was unusual to run their card when they got here.
It's strange, but we get that a lot. 'I have to pay NOW? Before I've even seen the room?' Like you get to see the room first and pay on check-out at a hotel. Or, 'You already have my cc number, why do you need my card, just charge it to the number I gave you.' At which point, I show them the reg form with stars where the cc info goes and I say, 'That's all I have, I need the card for the machine.'
Or the guests who have booked 5 different places and some charge everything in advance, some a deposit, and they think they've already paid and are VERY certain they HAVE already paid and now they are being swindled. I tell them if they find 2 charges from me on their cc statement when they get home to call immediately.
Bree said:
That is common - since they might be staying or 3 or 4 B&B's and all are diff.

GeorgiaGirl said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
Yes. We've had guests leave without paying. Late arrival, staying 3 nights. We figured we'd catch them on the way out. Nope. They left at 5 AM.
And then there are the guests who assume that because I have the card number, they're all set. I don't want the additional expense of running the number manually, so we get the payment on arrival. Also, we're not always available when guests wnat to check-out. We may be cleaning, eating our own breakfast or whatever. Or, they leave right after they eat and now I'm trying to run the card in the dining room when everyone else is eating. And we have the old machine so it makes a racket!
But, it's really what works for each place. I like muirford's idea of opening a folio on arrival and then you can close it out when they're ready to leave. So if there are any add-ons, the folio is still open.
Bree said:
We have a note on the in room check in sheet that states to see us to settle up and return their keys before leaving. So far only one set of keys has gone walking since I added that!

GeorgiaGirl said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
[/quote]
I like that idea too, Bree, but right now we're just getting our feet wet just learning to charge on the machine. When we go to 5 rooms I think we'll do that as well. I think.
Riki

sad_smile.gif
The rates are MUCH better with the lodging program plus retail POS does not protect with chargebacks if I understand the nothing tangible info. I do know for sure that while I had an old machine that did not do a lodging program, I paid an extra charge on every transaction because although I swipe, it chirpped and spit out an acceptance number, it was treated as if I had called it in by phone and and a real person intervened. Then I got a machine and it spit out the paper, but same thing. Then that company was not xxxing out numbers even though I requested what they were supposed to be doing. They told me my equipment was unable to accept the software to do that. Changed providers and son of a gun, the same equipment now gives the beautiful xxxx where needed.
Being POS puts you in a bad position in many ways.

sad_smile.gif
The rates are MUCH better with the lodging program plus retail POS does not protect with chargebacks if I understand the nothing tangible info. I do know for sure that while I had an old machine that did not do a lodging program, I paid an extra charge on every transaction because although I swipe, it chirpped and spit out an acceptance number, it was treated as if I had called it in by phone and and a real person intervened. Then I got a machine and it spit out the paper, but same thing. Then that company was not xxxing out numbers even though I requested what they were supposed to be doing. They told me my equipment was unable to accept the software to do that. Changed providers and son of a gun, the same equipment now gives the beautiful xxxx where needed.
Being POS puts you in a bad position in many ways.
"Being POS puts you in a bad position in many ways."
I had mine set up as lodging but when I called to have my account reviewed, I was given a much better rate by going POS...It is about time I call to have my account reviewed again (I do it every 6 months) and will review this again to see if it has changed with my processing co. Regarding chargebacks, I do believe you are mistaken. I have not had many attempts, can think of only 3-4 over my 10 years but each have been to my favor and I know that at least some of these have been since going POS as I was only set up as lodging for a short time.
As a side note it is great to have these processing discussions on the forum as I do recall one that helped me - (thanks Bree) regarding the card number being printed. As I recall we had just gone through an update to our reader so I thought I was well in compliance. After reading the posts, I called my processor and discussed this matter, somehow that part of the update did not come through to my reader, and it was handled pronto.
So as a reminder, every 6 months or so, call your processing company and ask them to review your account and see if you can get a better rate...it can't hurt and as you know they would be jumping quickly if they are able to raise them, but are not typically upfront about lowering them.

GeorgiaGirl said:
Riki
It is just easier for us with 5 rooms to charge upon arrival, like most hotels. We don't greet them with our hand out to take their card. There's a bit of chitchat that happens. It has never been awkward and most of the time our guests ask, "Don't you need to run our card?"
Obviously if someone arrives very late, has had an exasperating travel day, etc., we tell them that we'll take care of it in the morning after they've had a chance to recover and get settled in. A lot of people assume that we've already run their card since we say that we charge a deposit. I just tell them that we've found it easier to run their card when they check-in. It's not a big deal...they realize that we are just a small operation here :)
It's just what works for each of us....

GeorgiaGirl said:
Riki
It is just easier for us with 5 rooms to charge upon arrival, like most hotels. We don't greet them with our hand out to take their card. There's a bit of chitchat that happens. It has never been awkward and most of the time our guests ask, "Don't you need to run our card?"
Obviously if someone arrives very late, has had an exasperating travel day, etc., we tell them that we'll take care of it in the morning after they've had a chance to recover and get settled in. A lot of people assume that we've already run their card since we say that we charge a deposit. I just tell them that we've found it easier to run their card when they check-in. It's not a big deal...they realize that we are just a small operation here :)
It's just what works for each of us....
Our check-in last night was really late, maybe 1 AM. We have decided that really late arrivals we will run the card at 9 PM. If it doesn't fo thru, they don't get in without ringing the bell. This was the one where we didn't know how many were coming. When 3 came to breakfast this morning (we were expecting 5) I asked about the other 2. Turns out there were SIX of them, but one decided it was too cramped and he left. The other 2 came later from breakfast.

Back