The curiosity and the owners quarters

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a public forum, so if you want to post information about your employer you might want to delete the contact info with website etc on your user id. We do not know you from Adam, and we are concerned with the poor treatment you are reporting. There are plenty on this forum daily who are not regular members with user ids, they read it however. I would be careful - anything you type out can be saved/retrieved forever. Just a warning.
wink_smile.gif

Back to the original thread ...
Quite a few guests are surprised that we live here, mainly because our garret under the roof is not obvious, so on check-in, I tell guests where they can find me, pointing vaguely up the stairs. Some are interested in the Inn design and I tell them that we (innkeepers) have our own sitting area and laundry(!), and I have my office. None too nosey, so far.

I think people partly don't understand where we live because it is very rare in this country to have a basement and if you do it is usually used like a sort of garage for storage as not many have been tanked properly so it never crosses people's minds. we are sometimes asked if we live in the attic which as it has about 3 foot from floor to ceiling!
Also coastkeeper what does it say in your contract? as if it says appropriate accommodation will be provided i would get onto my attorney cos this blatenly isnt!

After a year and a half at this inn, the owners still have me in suitcases bouncing from empty room to room. When full the cases go into the car and I sleep on the laundry room floor. The innkeeper quarters they gave to a homeless woman for answering the phones from 7-9pm, so I am left with this option. Last week, as normal, my fourteen rooms were filled and I was in the laundry room. Getting up at 6 to prepare the breakfast, a guest caught me through the window rollng up my sleeping bag and told all the other guests that morning. By afternoon I was being questioned by all regarding my living arrangement here. Unfortunately it didn't reflect well on my owners and may have lost a couple because of their feeling about this.
So be careful when you let guests know the arrangements..
I agree with all of the above - did you know the arrangements b4 you took the job? I know you are smarter than that - stand up for your rights as a human being! With 14 rooms they can afford to take one out for your use. I'd volunteer to answer phones between 7 and 9pm for the privilege of sleeping in a bed every night and not schlepping my stuff all over the inn! Is there room in the OQ for the both of you? Does the homeless woman do anything else to earn her keep? I'd put her to work! Sorry - I'm ranting!
I have been an innkeeper most of my life and done inn consulting for the past five years, assisting many owners with this new economy. I am also a cordon bleu chef that creates original foods for each of these inns. Last year I agreed to drop my salary in half to help these owners, unfortunately they took advantage of the situation. No I didn't know this would be the arrangement for living. Most inns I have managed or helped, I had nice living quarters, a day or two off on a schedule to see the area of the country I was in. I have approached, demanded, and even attempted a bit of guilt on the owners, but their motivation is not the welfare of the innkeeper, only profit. I am the only day staff besides two housekeepers. A 12-15 hour day, seven days a week is normal here. So to have someone watch the phones for a couple of hours so I can do the shopping, at least gets me out.
With the last year ending with two days off for the whole year and the living conditions, I am now back searching the market place. I specialize in historic inns, original foods marketing, and am an old fashion innkeeper...I do it all. But other innkeepers need to be beware of this type of owner. Not all inn owners are created equal nor do they appreciate when you keep their inn the number one selling property in a town with almost thirty inns.
Yikers!!
whattha.gif
I hope you can find a better working/living situation soon.....

Back