The curiosity and the owners quarters

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Guests just cannot handle not knowing where we live. Even though they are told to knock on this door or ring this bell if they need anything. I am not sure why for some it is such a compulsion, they must know, they must have the details. When asked, if you reply in a brief way "We have 3/4 of the downstairs" it is never enough, they must know more...
I wonder if I was the same before innkeeping? I think I was. I think I was intrigued by the mysterious innkeepers as well.

I think some guests are trying to figure out where the guest rooms are as well. At least here, it is not obvious where they are. They count the rooms they see and then ask how many rooms we have and it doesn't add up. Then they want to know where all the other rooms are. Which leads to, 'Then where do you live?'
We get a lot of what I think of as technical questions- do we have our own kitchen, living room, all of that. They're trying to get a sense of what it's like to have strangers in the house. How much space do we get and is it enough.

I was always curious as to what the owners quarter were really like. Maybe because I was thinking about becoming an innkeeper and wondered how they really lived. I am still curious as to what is behind those closed doors :)

I was always curious as to what the owners quarter were really like. Maybe because I was thinking about becoming an innkeeper and wondered how they really lived. I am still curious as to what is behind those closed doors :).
We are doing a massive overhaul on our space this year. I'm going to post pix on my blog so guests can see 'behind the door' and hopefully cut down on some of the curiosity! At least I can point them to where they can see what the place looks like.
Painting next week. Then the carpets come out.

Because the houses are so close together here a lot of guests think we live in the house next door. I have no idea why they think that but a lot of them say, 'Do you live in that little house?'

We get asked if we live here or where do we live. I just point to the door in the foyer and tell them we live on that side of the house. It usually satisfies them. Years ago, DH was going to get something from his workshop to show and guest and did not realize the man was leterally on his heels. The old guy just followed DH in and got into what was then still our living room before DH realized he was there. Since then DH has gone back to painting and it is now his studio because only he could "live" in it. The few others who have been admitted into his lair are trusted, close friends or family members.

My take on it for us, is that people ask about where the other rooms are so they can figure out how their sounds will travel and which are common walls. I try to always tell them (but remember, we stress privacy) that we don't live in the main house and I tell them which building is our house. Very often, you will see a look of relief on their face when they find out that we don't also live in the main house...I've had many tell me that they have stayed at other styles of b&bs and it gives them an uncomfortable feeling to be sharing or disturbing the innkeeper's home.
Now I know that we get a slightly different clientel than some of you, but it's always good to remember, especially when it's first time b&b guests, that they are hypersensitive to not only the sounds they make, but the sounds they THINK they'll experience from others.
We have never had anyone ask to see our house. The most we get is "is your place decorated as nicely as this?" (Yeah, I wish!)

Lots ask where our rooms are, some just trying to fit the puzzle together others just being a curious cat. We have had at least one guest try to get into our space, we heard the door rattle while we were inside. Since we knew they could not get in, we just let them ease down the stairs. We knew who it was, and he had asked where our quarters were. The door is labeled private and is up stairs with only our quarters there. How many others have attempted to sneak a peak we do not know, the door is always locked.
Most guests that ask if we live on premis are happy to find out we do, little do we know when someone does not book because we do! After staying in a couple of B&B's with the innkeeper not on hand, I prefer to know they are. Years ago we stayed at a B&B (in my childhood town) owned by 2 sisters, neither stayed on premis. One of the 2 did not know they had guests and had turned on the alarm system. We came back quite late and opened the door to a loud system and a phone call from the security. The police came up as my husband had just made his way back out the door after answering the phone. As it tuned out, the police man knew my father very well and we had a nice chat and laugh while waiting for the alarm to be turned off and a call giving the all clear from the innkeeper. Not a good way to keep guests, they were closed within their 1st year.
Another told us the doors are locked at 10 so be back before then. Did not like the curfew placed on my vacation.

My room is across from the dining room, I have PRIVATE sign on it, no one has ever knocked or tried to open it from what I know of, anyway it's locked mostly since I go into it from another door

I agree with you CH, I think the innkeepers definitely need to be on premis. Our set up is really cool...our little house (850 sq ft) sits between the Main house (3 rooms) and the Guest cottage and our parking lot links all three together. We're definitely in the middle of things and can keep track of the comings and goings of our guests and are always available to our guests by phone or doorbell. The front doorbell rings in the main house and the innkeepers house simultaneously.

It is kind of hard to explain but we live in the basement where the breakfast room is and the house sort of flows to the breakfast room. The door to our rooms is the same colour as the wall so most people don't even notice it. I do however keep the door to the basement locked as I often sit in the breakfast room with my laptop and papers laid out for more space so i don't want people seeing that.

Curiosity & noise concerns....
A lot of times they're trying to picture where we innkeepers live in the scheme of the layout of the property. How much room DO those innkeepers have?
Then, they're trying to figure out how much privacy the guests have if you're in the same building. Will the innkeepers be able to hear us when we go in and out of the building? Will they hear us in our rooms?
I told our guests that we lived in the back part of the downstairs & all our space downstairs only had attic above it & that seemed to satisfy them. I also told them that this is a quiet house. I have only had one person that had "x-ray ears". lol!

After a year and a half at this inn, the owners still have me in suitcases bouncing from empty room to room. When full the cases go into the car and I sleep on the laundry room floor. The innkeeper quarters they gave to a homeless woman for answering the phones from 7-9pm, so I am left with this option. Last week, as normal, my fourteen rooms were filled and I was in the laundry room. Getting up at 6 to prepare the breakfast, a guest caught me through the window rollng up my sleeping bag and told all the other guests that morning. By afternoon I was being questioned by all regarding my living arrangement here. Unfortunately it didn't reflect well on my owners and may have lost a couple because of their feeling about this.
So be careful when you let guests know the arrangements.

After a year and a half at this inn, the owners still have me in suitcases bouncing from empty room to room. When full the cases go into the car and I sleep on the laundry room floor. The innkeeper quarters they gave to a homeless woman for answering the phones from 7-9pm, so I am left with this option. Last week, as normal, my fourteen rooms were filled and I was in the laundry room. Getting up at 6 to prepare the breakfast, a guest caught me through the window rollng up my sleeping bag and told all the other guests that morning. By afternoon I was being questioned by all regarding my living arrangement here. Unfortunately it didn't reflect well on my owners and may have lost a couple because of their feeling about this.
So be careful when you let guests know the arrangements..
I feel your pain. Share with us whatever you choose, but It sounds like you are now the homeless one. Is there an end in sight to your living arrangements?
Welcome to the forum.

You might seriously let them know this is unacceptable and that you'll take the homeless person's place on the phones from 7-9, along with the innkeeper's qtrs. Unless you love the job, have nowhere else to go or some other weight is holding you down, you are not living you are existing. What you just described runs close to work place abuse no matter what you're being paid. Heck, if you end up homeless, you can actually get your room back!
Even I don't sleep on the floor and I own the place. There is no way I would expect an employee to live the way you do.

I would NEVER expect anyone to live/work like that it is completely unreasonable! If I had an innsitter I would block off a single for the time required and they would have that.

I agree with all of the above - did you know the arrangements b4 you took the job? I know you are smarter than that - stand up for your rights as a human being! With 14 rooms they can afford to take one out for your use. I'd volunteer to answer phones between 7 and 9pm for the privilege of sleeping in a bed every night and not schlepping my stuff all over the inn! Is there room in the OQ for the both of you? Does the homeless woman do anything else to earn her keep? I'd put her to work! Sorry - I'm ranting!

I agree with all of the above - did you know the arrangements b4 you took the job? I know you are smarter than that - stand up for your rights as a human being! With 14 rooms they can afford to take one out for your use. I'd volunteer to answer phones between 7 and 9pm for the privilege of sleeping in a bed every night and not schlepping my stuff all over the inn! Is there room in the OQ for the both of you? Does the homeless woman do anything else to earn her keep? I'd put her to work! Sorry - I'm ranting!
I have been an innkeeper most of my life and done inn consulting for the past five years, assisting many owners with this new economy. I am also a cordon bleu chef that creates original foods for each of these inns. Last year I agreed to drop my salary in half to help these owners, unfortunately they took advantage of the situation. No I didn't know this would be the arrangement for living. Most inns I have managed or helped, I had nice living quarters, a day or two off on a schedule to see the area of the country I was in. I have approached, demanded, and even attempted a bit of guilt on the owners, but their motivation is not the welfare of the innkeeper, only profit. I am the only day staff besides two housekeepers. A 12-15 hour day, seven days a week is normal here. So to have someone watch the phones for a couple of hours so I can do the shopping, at least gets me out.
With the last year ending with two days off for the whole year and the living conditions, I am now back searching the market place. I specialize in historic inns, original foods marketing, and am an old fashion innkeeper...I do it all. But other innkeepers need to be beware of this type of owner. Not all inn owners are created equal nor do they appreciate when you keep their inn the number one selling property in a town with almost thirty inns.

I have been an innkeeper most of my life and done inn consulting for the past five years, assisting many owners with this new economy. I am also a cordon bleu chef that creates original foods for each of these inns. Last year I agreed to drop my salary in half to help these owners, unfortunately they took advantage of the situation. No I didn't know this would be the arrangement for living. Most inns I have managed or helped, I had nice living quarters, a day or two off on a schedule to see the area of the country I was in. I have approached, demanded, and even attempted a bit of guilt on the owners, but their motivation is not the welfare of the innkeeper, only profit. I am the only day staff besides two housekeepers. A 12-15 hour day, seven days a week is normal here. So to have someone watch the phones for a couple of hours so I can do the shopping, at least gets me out.
With the last year ending with two days off for the whole year and the living conditions, I am now back searching the market place. I specialize in historic inns, original foods marketing, and am an old fashion innkeeper...I do it all. But other innkeepers need to be beware of this type of owner. Not all inn owners are created equal nor do they appreciate when you keep their inn the number one selling property in a town with almost thirty inns.
Coastkeeper said:
Another Coastkeeper quote:
Another Coastkeeper quote:
My big question is this - with all those qualifications why in H have you put up with this for a year and a half? Anyone who tells me I am sleeping on the floor in the laundry room would be seeing my back and I will be darned if I would take a pay cut in addition.

I suggest you get your own email -- yahoo or gmail -- rather than through your property web site, and change your profile here. You deserve a better position.

Back