The Curse of the Quiche

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"A quiche by any other name...is a savory tart".
Welcome back, JB!! Very well said about the savory tart. :)
I am not a huge fan of quiche either....not because it's "quiche" but because I just don't care for the pie crust. Does that make sense? Again, not to offend any and all who serve quiche here. Just give me crustless eggs. ;-)
We had the vegetarian, pescetarians, no meat eaters here. I always served the breakfast meat of the South on the side here too for that reason.
We missed you, Joey!

You mean you TELL THEM you are serving quiche? What is the saying, Faux Pas or down unda would call it a blunda. Never tell them you are serving quiche, I would be one who ran away too. I am not a quiche eater...hm, that sounded like an insult in some odd remarkable way. I didn't mean it to be.
"An egg dish" would be my only reply if they asked. Do you know most people have never even eaten quiche? I mean when would you? If you went to a brunch would you order quiche? Probably not. Most men would not order quiche due to the distorted quiche reputation, or admit to liking it. :)
But alas, I digress...SHOW ME THE MEAT. Don't serve me meatless casseroles or meatless quiche. Sorry, but I am a carnivore through and through. (as I ramp up for a 4th of July big sloppy greasy burger tomorrow) Or show me the "smoked salmon" should that be a local/regional flavor..
If I put smoked salmon in anything they'd leave it on the plate in droves! You've all convinced me to never use the word 'quiche' again. It's egg pie or some such.
We never put meat in any dish, it's always on the side. Too many non-meat eaters stay here. It's my market, you know. Vegetarians.
Morticia said:
You've all convinced me to never use the word 'quiche' again. It's egg pie or some such.
Just come up with your own cute name for it. We have names for all our dishes - some that even guests have named for us. "Morticia's famous ____"

Sexism? It's called most men never have a woman cook for them either. Have you ever encountered the angry wife as the husband is enjoying his breakfast a little bit too much? Oh yeahhhhhhh happens often. She will look at his face and say "Don't expect this at home" tee hee giggle giggle. Then, don't be surprised if they no-show the next morning. She will find some way to "distract" him from breakfast. Pretty evil really.
Back to breakfast, I will say I had the worst of the worst dining out for breakfast. I am not sure what the heck they do to it, other than maybe cook bacon three days ahead or something? Nasty stuff. And listen, I am not looking for anything fancy, just a basic American slammed together breakfast, and it was mostly not edible.
Innkeepers, you serve terrific meals! You shine! You Rock! You are the best! Don't ever think it has anything to do with your food, I know you...you would not serve it without guests loving it. You go way way way beyond the call, you offer so much, and it is nothing that any chain serves up.
chef.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Sexism? It's called most men never have a woman cook for them either. Have you ever encountered the angry wife as the husband is enjoying his breakfast a little bit too much? Oh yeahhhhhhh happens often. She will look at his face and say "Don't expect this at home" tee hee giggle giggle. Then, don't be surprised if they no-show the next morning. She will find some way to "distract" him from breakfast. Pretty evil really.
A bit off topic.....
I get the "Don't expect this at home"................all that other "evil" stuff I just can't figure out...........some can be very cruel.....why?
On the flip side of the coin.......the overbearing husband........you know.......the couples where the wife is more like property than a partner........why?
Not expecting or wanting a utopian society.........just more understanding, perhaps a little more of walking in the others shoes.
OK, my rant is done

One Day - because we live in an imperfect world.
We really do see many walks of life and behaviors operating a B&B. Still waters run deep...so we can never really question why...they stay with us and move on. It does bother you when you see something you feel is not right, however, I agree. People stay with us for so many reasons, as an innkeeper you want everyone to be happy and well adjusted, but that is not likely going to happen any time soon.
I think I mentioned on another thread a few months back, the quirky bizarre guests are oftentimes my favorite, they do not put on airs and just act their wacky selves. I wish we could all be that way and let our hair down and dance like no one is watching.

Actually its called "Breakfast Custard" and our guests really liked it and its quite easy to make and inexpensive if you have 4 or less guests.
Breakfast Custard
4 Eggs
2 tbl. butter, melted
1 Cup Milk
1tsp cornstarch
1/8 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
Dash pepper
1/2 cup shredded cheese (we used cheddar)
In bowl, beat eggs. Ad the next 6 ingredients. Stir in cheese. Pour into 4 oz (we used 8 oz) custard cups. Place cups in a baking pan & fill with boiling water to a depth of 1". Bake uncovered at 425 for 15-20 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
I love this recipe, I guess you can embelish it anyway you want.

I am not a huge fan of quiche either....not because it's "quiche" but because I just don't care for the pie crust. Does that make sense? Again, not to offend any and all who serve quiche here. Just give me crustless eggs. ;-)
We had the vegetarian, pescetarians, no meat eaters here. I always served the breakfast meat of the South on the side here too for that reason.
We missed you, Joey!
We dumped the crust years ago because no one wanted it. They would turn down the whole thing to avoid the crust. Others would just eat around the crust. It has saved so much time not having crust!

See that is the thing, tomato toemahtoe...our crusts are always eaten. Yes I do buy store bought crusts, but have found the fluted ones just break off and I can't seem to serve them without a mess, so I buy the ...pillsbury is it? They are flat with low sides.

See that is the thing, tomato toemahtoe...our crusts are always eaten. Yes I do buy store bought crusts, but have found the fluted ones just break off and I can't seem to serve them without a mess, so I buy the ...pillsbury is it? They are flat with low sides..
Same here. We got those ones that roll out. BUT, remember, we serve toast, too. It's too many carbs for some guests.
Like you said, tomayto,tomahto. And those get left on the plate, too...
Everyone ate the strawberry shortcake today, tho, unlike last week when a lot of it came back. No sweets, no breads, that's the latest diet thing here. Juice is taboo as well. I just wish they would say so before I put out all that good, yummy fruit that they push away.

See that is the thing, tomato toemahtoe...our crusts are always eaten. Yes I do buy store bought crusts, but have found the fluted ones just break off and I can't seem to serve them without a mess, so I buy the ...pillsbury is it? They are flat with low sides..
Same here. We got those ones that roll out. BUT, remember, we serve toast, too. It's too many carbs for some guests.
Like you said, tomayto,tomahto. And those get left on the plate, too...
Everyone ate the strawberry shortcake today, tho, unlike last week when a lot of it came back. No sweets, no breads, that's the latest diet thing here. Juice is taboo as well. I just wish they would say so before I put out all that good, yummy fruit that they push away.
Quiche is on our regular rotation. Always gets eaten. Most often its vegetarian, green onion, mushrooms or zuchini, and either extra sharp cheddar or a mixture of mozzarella and parmesan. Crust is all purpose flour, enough to fit your quiche or pie plate, mix in 2 tsps salt. Add one third proportion shortening to flour (make about a third of the shortening butter), mix up with just enough cold water so that dough just forms a ball. Roll between two sheets of floured waxed paper. Line your pan or quiche tin. (I use a glass pie plate now). Add pre-sauted filling. top up with an egg/cream mixture. Bake at 400F 20 min to 35, depending on the volume of your tin or pie plate. Not for the calorie counters. Lots of wording here but its really quiick to make, and will hold for your entire breakfast period. (Let cool, then a quick zap in the microwave as needed.
I can see out the window, guests are back from their kayak excursion.
Bye.

Ahhh Kayaks! I am still sore from mine. Just out of shape, didn't do anything strenuous. Took this 2 days ago.
lrg_Kayaks_James_River.jpg

We missed you, Joey!
We dumped the crust years ago because no one wanted it. They would turn down the whole thing to avoid the crust. Others would just eat around the crust. It has saved so much time not having crust!
I thought I recalled you doing that. But the thing is do the guests know it. You say 'quiche' and they may think crust. Call it something else and you may get lots of takers.
Had 2 guests this weekend that said 'we don't eat bread'. But what did they do with my hashbrown casserole? - Poured jam on top! And then today, they both said we just may eat your biscuits today. (Maybe because everyone else was begging for more?)

One Day - because we live in an imperfect world.
We really do see many walks of life and behaviors operating a B&B. Still waters run deep...so we can never really question why...they stay with us and move on. It does bother you when you see something you feel is not right, however, I agree. People stay with us for so many reasons, as an innkeeper you want everyone to be happy and well adjusted, but that is not likely going to happen any time soon.
I think I mentioned on another thread a few months back, the quirky bizarre guests are oftentimes my favorite, they do not put on airs and just act their wacky selves. I wish we could all be that way and let our hair down and dance like no one is watching..
Yeah Baby,
the quirky bizarre guests are oftentimes my favorite, they do not put on airs and just act their wacky selves.
Couldn't agree more. I'm lucky, the name attracts quirky guests - I get to be me, they get to be them and everyone is HAPPY.

We missed you, Joey!
I thought I recalled you doing that. But the thing is do the guests know it. You say 'quiche' and they may think crust. Call it something else and you may get lots of takers.
Had 2 guests this weekend that said 'we don't eat bread'. But what did they do with my hashbrown casserole? - Poured jam on top! And then today, they both said we just may eat your biscuits today. (Maybe because everyone else was begging for more?)
copperhead said:
But what did they do with my hashbrown casserole? - Poured jam on top!
Ewwwwwww.

I guess I buck the trend here. I do two quiches on a very regular basis - My Crab Quiche (DH named it Sarah's Own Most Exquisite Crab Quiche) and my Corn Chowder Quiche. I've had guests I don't know turn up on my doorstep requesting the crab quiche (and I don't believe it's mentioned on TA) and I will shamelessly BEG guests to try my corn quiche.
One observation ... On my menu I offer "short-order" as an alternative to the daily special. I think that guests will come to breakfast knowing they can have a plate of bacon and eggs and are then more amenable to trying a piece of quiche or whatever else is on offer .... and I will always maintain that there is a "pity factor" that works to my advantage. The end result is that no one can complain that they HAD to eat quiche. It was always their choice - and 9 times out of 10 they make that choice and love it.

Back