The Curse of the Quiche

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Happened again today...quiche for breakfast, half the rooms left without eating!

Ah, that just leaves more for the chef
chef.gif

1/2 of mine came for breakfast at 9:20 - the other half still hasn't showed. Probably wasting half a quiche today, too - DH will have some for lunch.

I just took a reservation & when asked about dietary restrictions, they said "no quiche or quiche-like dishes". Sheesh!!

I just took a reservation & when asked about dietary restrictions, they said "no quiche or quiche-like dishes". Sheesh!!.
I guess I have to say I'd resist the urge to say...Sorry that is your preference....it is not a dietary restriction....unless they said they were vegan or it actually was for a special diet. GRRRRR.

I just took a reservation & when asked about dietary restrictions, they said "no quiche or quiche-like dishes". Sheesh!!.
I guess I have to say I'd resist the urge to say...Sorry that is your preference....it is not a dietary restriction....unless they said they were vegan or it actually was for a special diet. GRRRRR.
That was my knee jerk reaction too! But of course I said "sure, no problem" as I grit my teeth. I get so many special dietary restricted guests, so this issue is easily solved, but like most other innkeepers, I get a bee in my bonnet when told what not to do.

Only 1/2 of my guests ate this morning as well and I did not serve quiche! C'est la vie

Those of you that have trouble with guests not showing up for breakfast...do you have your menu posted somewhere where guests know in advance what's being served?

Those of you that have trouble with guests not showing up for breakfast...do you have your menu posted somewhere where guests know in advance what's being served?.
Little Blue said:
Those of you that have trouble with guests not showing up for breakfast...do you have your menu posted somewhere where guests know in advance what's being served?
Yeah and that's why I say 'curse of the quiche'! They know it is quiche and they leave! And today we made it because the guests who were here 4 nights had already had the other 2 egg dishes we make. And they're part of the crowd who left.
The funny thing is, those who eat it, love it. They polish it off.

Those of you that have trouble with guests not showing up for breakfast...do you have your menu posted somewhere where guests know in advance what's being served?.
Little Blue said:
Yeah and that's why I say 'curse of the quiche'! They know it is quiche and they leave! And today we made it because the guests who were here 4 nights had already had the other 2 egg dishes we make. And they're part of the crowd who left.
Morticia said:
Yeah, and that's why I say 'curse of the quiche'! They know it is quiche and they leave! The funny thing is, those who eat it, love it. They polish it off.
We don't announce breakfast menus, they won't know what they're getting until it's put in front of them, and only rarely does someone not eat most or all of it. Even more rare that anyone asks what's for breakfast. People are so odd.

Little Blue said:
Morticia said:
Yeah and that's why I say 'curse of the quiche'! They know it is quiche and they leave!
With a Frenchman in the family, we eat a lot of quiche. Real quiche, as he would say, not a variation. The classic recipe with creme fraiche. It's a standard lunch or light supper fare around here, light being something of a joke with all the creme fraiche but for the Frenchman it passes for light.
But whenever we're staying anywhere (or I'm cooking anywhere) that serves quiche for breakfast, really, you'd have to see his reaction to it. "Quiche for breakfast?" "Or they call that quiche?"
He'll eat eggs for breakfast, American style. But quiche? Only in America he'll say every single time. And then laugh at us as he walks out of the room.

Little Blue said:
Morticia said:
Little Blue said:
I'm thinking a simple change of name is in order.
Spécialité d'oeuf de la maison.

Little Blue said:
Morticia said:
Little Blue said:
Don't call it quiche. Make up some fancy name for it. They won't know what it is until they sit down
devil_smile.gif
I call mine a breakfast pie because it's more of an egg bake without a crust and much lighter than a quiche.

Little Blue said:
Morticia said:
Little Blue said:
Don't call it quiche. Make up some fancy name for it. They won't know what it is until they sit down
devil_smile.gif
I call mine a breakfast pie because it's more of an egg bake without a crust and much lighter than a quiche.
Breakfast Diva said:
devil_smile.gif
Breakfast Pie definitely gets past the Frenchman's quiche alert system.
He will, indeed, eat a breakfast pie in the morning. Just don't call it quiche.

Little Blue said:
Morticia said:
Little Blue said:
IronGate said:
Morticia said:
Little Blue said:
Yeah, but I'd have to be able to pronounce it!

Little Blue said:
Morticia said:
Little Blue said:
devil_smile.gif
OK, egg bake would work or even fritatta. But quiche sends 'em running. Last time we had almost 2 full quiches leftover. This time it was one full quiche. And I won't eat it. Gomez had a slice for lunch and might have another tomorrow but after that it's in the trash.

No. I don't believe this problem is particular to the breakfast - it is a symptom of having people who've never stayed in a B&B before and who are kind of self-absorbed. They just don't get any kind of etiquette - like I have a teenager in two who will sleep until checkout time but I won't think about whether I'll be down for breakfast or not. The other two hung out on the back porch making phone calls until 10 minutes before the end of the breakfast service. And, I'll just say this, although I'll be accused of sexism - all of the guests last night were women. I don't get that many people who aren't interested in breakfast, but when I do - it's usually women.

No. I don't believe this problem is particular to the breakfast - it is a symptom of having people who've never stayed in a B&B before and who are kind of self-absorbed. They just don't get any kind of etiquette - like I have a teenager in two who will sleep until checkout time but I won't think about whether I'll be down for breakfast or not. The other two hung out on the back porch making phone calls until 10 minutes before the end of the breakfast service. And, I'll just say this, although I'll be accused of sexism - all of the guests last night were women. I don't get that many people who aren't interested in breakfast, but when I do - it's usually women.
Women don't eat. Never have had a man turn down food. Yes, they have gone off without eating, but if they sit down and food is placed in front of them, they eat it. Women will push it around on the plate, cut it up into little bites and pretend they ate it. And whe I come to clear they explain the 'big' dinner they had last night. Yeah, right, they looked at a lobster and smelled the butter and that was the big meal.
I know some are just not wanting to say, 'I don't want that,' so they're being hit from all sides...they feel they have to be polite and they have to be thin and they just try to avoid breakfast at all costs. (From what I've seen here.)

Little Blue said:
Morticia said:
Yeah, and that's why I say 'curse of the quiche'! They know it is quiche and they leave! The funny thing is, those who eat it, love it. They polish it off.
We don't announce breakfast menus, they won't know what they're getting until it's put in front of them, and only rarely does someone not eat most or all of it. Even more rare that anyone asks what's for breakfast. People are so odd.
Announcing the breakfast has saved me some early morning hassle. Not always, but some will say, 'I'm allergic to that.' Someone else made the reservation and never asked or explained to everyone about the food. And they think it's a menu. They always think it's a menu. Like all B&B's have a menu. I know some do, but we're not that one so I like to head off the menu crowd by telling them what is for breakfast.
We get a lot of groups here so it's hard for one person to know everyone's likes & dislikes or food issues. Then again, announcing the breakfast in advance also allows for anticipation, which goes a long way to getting them downstairs some mornings!
We notice the quiche issue because it's already cooked and it gets thrown out. Other times we wouldn't notice because everything else is cooked when they sit down. (Except bacon and I don't care if everyone skips brekkie on bacon day! I'll eat all of it!)

Little Blue said:
Morticia said:
Little Blue said:
devil_smile.gif
OK, egg bake would work or even fritatta. But quiche sends 'em running. Last time we had almost 2 full quiches leftover. This time it was one full quiche. And I won't eat it. Gomez had a slice for lunch and might have another tomorrow but after that it's in the trash.
Morticia said:
OK, egg bake would work or even fritatta. But quiche sends 'em running.
Both egg bake and fritatta would definitely work for the Frenchman.
Just don't call it quiche. To him the idea of eating quiche in the morning would be akin to asking him to have a Philly cheese steak sandwich with his coffee. Fritatta? That'll work.

Back