The Dreaded A/C's in guest rooms

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We all know this would not happen at home... The fact is that they are not paying the electric bill so why not have the windows open while running the A/C (or heat for that matter). It is the reason why we walk in to clean the room and find all the lights and TV on. They just don't get it that our bills reflect our rates - the higher our electic bill, the more we have to jack up our rates to cover them...
Mort, I don't think there are enough bullets
wink_smile.gif
copperhead said:
It is the reason why we walk in to clean the room and find all the lights and TV on.
I've seen the solution for this, too, in Europe, S. America, and a few places in the USA. To get the lights and TV to come on, your key card, or your room key, must be put in a slot by the door.
When you leave the room, you take your key with you so you can get back in, and taking the key automatically switches off the lights and TV power.
Yes most hotels in Europe we have stayed at..all required the key card to turn on Electric. I think that would take some rewiring...that I don't think American Electricians might even know how to do.???
catlady said:
Yes most hotels in Europe we have stayed at..all required the key card to turn on Electric. I think that would take some rewiring...that I don't think American Electricians might even know how to do.???
Yes, would probably take a electrician. But if the light switch is right by the door, I'd think it would be fairly quick, simple, and surely not too expensive to put that switch on a controller that requires the room key or something similar.
In a quick look I found this one. It works with either a keycard or a fob the room key is attached to.
I guess it's like changing to compact fluorescent bulbs. It will pay for itself eventually, and start returning dividends, but you have to be prepared to spend a little more up front to make it happen.
But that would also mean I'd have to change my door locks to a card lock. And my doors are all outside entry doors and I don't think those locks are designed to be outside. And we are subject to power outages. I'm afraid for me it would be just another thing that could break. It would still be pretty expensive for a 2-5 room B&B.
I'm lucky we rarely have people leaving doors or windows open.
RIki

If we had a new building there would be a ton of differences in how we would run the B&B. Each week there is something new to repair that was not on the list that requires ALL hands on deck. Example it has now been three consecutive Saturdays to rebuild our closet due to the dead animal episode. I mean, heavy duty work all day 3 Saturdays - we have to do this to sell. Nothing we do in our own quarters are tax worthy to the IRS but it has to be done to sell, so we must do it.
Meanwhile the dishwasher which was emptied this morning has set itself TWICE today with barely nothing in it. I hear water and think, what the...go in and find it running again. I left the door open to be looked at tonight. Always something...and then something else. d'oh

We all know this would not happen at home... The fact is that they are not paying the electric bill so why not have the windows open while running the A/C (or heat for that matter). It is the reason why we walk in to clean the room and find all the lights and TV on. They just don't get it that our bills reflect our rates - the higher our electic bill, the more we have to jack up our rates to cover them...
wink_smile.gif
copperhead said:
It is the reason why we walk in to clean the room and find all the lights and TV on.
I've seen the solution for this, too, in Europe, S. America, and a few places in the USA. To get the lights and TV to come on, your key card, or your room key, must be put in a slot by the door.
When you leave the room, you take your key with you so you can get back in, and taking the key automatically switches off the lights and TV power.
catlady said:
Yes, would probably take a electrician. But if the light switch is right by the door, I'd think it would be fairly quick, simple, and surely not too expensive to put that switch on a controller that requires the room key or something similar.
In a quick look I found this one. It works with either a keycard or a fob the room key is attached to.
I guess it's like changing to compact fluorescent bulbs. It will pay for itself eventually, and start returning dividends, but you have to be prepared to spend a little more up front to make it happen.
But that would also mean I'd have to change my door locks to a card lock. And my doors are all outside entry doors and I don't think those locks are designed to be outside. And we are subject to power outages. I'm afraid for me it would be just another thing that could break. It would still be pretty expensive for a 2-5 room B&B.
I'm lucky we rarely have people leaving doors or windows open.
RIki
egoodell said:
But that would also mean I'd have to change my door locks to a card lock.
No, as their website says, you can get one that uses a little deal ("fob) that the regular room key is attached to, rather than a key card. The ones I've seen in Europe are about the size of a pack of chewing gum, only thinner. It's kind of like the keychain for the room key. You just insert the little fob into the hole when you enter the room and the lights and TV work.
Certainly you don't need to do this unless stopping the electrical waste is worth the installation trouble and expense to you.

wink_smile.gif
copperhead said:
Yes, this was the way it worked in the areas we visited as well. Good solution but only on new buildings at least that is what I think.
Not being an Electrician I am just guessing, but I would think that it could be easily done on new construction by placing each room on a seperate circuit breaker controled by the key strip. The issue to me would not be how it could be done but if the local electric code would allow it.
I'm wondering if you wouldn't do all of the outlets/switches as I like to have lights on around the house. And I do run the A/C in some rooms when no one is around (if it is sweltering I'll try to cool rooms before arrival). I suppose there could be a manual override.
Gomez is all set to start 'switching' the windows so the A/C can't be turned on when they're open. He's figuring about $400/room depending on number of windows. (We have some rooms with 6 windows!)
Morticia said:
. . . I suppose there could be a manual override.
Gomez is all set to start 'switching' the windows so the A/C can't be turned on when they're open. He's figuring about $400/room depending on number of windows. (We have some rooms with 6 windows!)
Most guests quickly figure out that a spare key left in the slot when going out serves as the "system override," thereby defeating the best intentions.
Personally, I find it annoying when the AC can't be run while I'm gone, and I come back to a hot room (and furniture) that takes forever to cool down. Gomez's solution seems ideal: you can have AC or open windows, but not both. The AC can run while I'm out, and I can come back to a cool, non-muggy room. Query, though: do window AC units operate on a thermostat, so they shut off when the set temperature is reached?

Arkansawyer said:
In Europe they only give each room ONE fob that will work the lights.
Everywhere we went that had such a system, we always had multiple keys that would work. Sometimes as many as four, and getting another was as simple as telling the front desk you'd misplaced your key. We're pretty diligent about turning off lights and TV's, etc., when we go out, so it wasn't really an issue, but would have been very easy. It is nice to be able to come back to a room, slide the key in, and presto-chango, your room immediately returns to way it was when you left.
And you always knew the location of at least one of your keys. ;)

wink_smile.gif
copperhead said:
Yes, this was the way it worked in the areas we visited as well. Good solution but only on new buildings at least that is what I think.
Not being an Electrician I am just guessing, but I would think that it could be easily done on new construction by placing each room on a seperate circuit breaker controled by the key strip. The issue to me would not be how it could be done but if the local electric code would allow it.
I'm wondering if you wouldn't do all of the outlets/switches as I like to have lights on around the house. And I do run the A/C in some rooms when no one is around (if it is sweltering I'll try to cool rooms before arrival). I suppose there could be a manual override.
Morticia said:
Most guests quickly figure out that a spare key left in the slot when going out serves as the "system override," thereby defeating the best intentions.
Personally, I find it annoying when the AC can't be run while I'm gone, and I come back to a hot room (and furniture) that takes forever to cool down. Gomez's solution seems ideal: you can have AC or open windows, but not both. The AC can run while I'm out, and I can come back to a cool, non-muggy room. Query, though: do window AC units operate on a thermostat, so they shut off when the set temperature is reached?
IronGate said:
In Europe they only give each room ONE room key and fob that will work the lights. The first time we went to Europe we complained about only getting one key per room. I guess most American do until they get used to the system over there. Yes, saving electricity will not be without a few negatives. Everyone must weight the costs vs. savings for their own situation.
IronGate said:
Personally, I find it annoying when the AC can't be run while I'm gone...
I agree. I wouldn't include AC in the key switch system. Only lights and TV.

wink_smile.gif
copperhead said:
Morticia said:
How will he do that? Is there some sort of kit? I would love to this with heat. Electric baseboard heater right below an open window makes for a monstrous hydro bill.

wink_smile.gif
copperhead said:
Morticia said:
How will he do that? Is there some sort of kit? I would love to this with heat. Electric baseboard heater right below an open window makes for a monstrous hydro bill.
I don't know, he is in the planning stages. Given he's already costed it out at $400/room, my guess is that we're not doing it. We would never save $2800 in electricity, even at the inflated rates here.

wink_smile.gif
copperhead said:
Morticia said:
My window A/C has a thermostat but it never shuts off given how much space I am trying to cool with one, dinky window unit. My guest A/C's do not have the thermostats. You can get it as cold in there as you can stand! We set them as part of the room cleaning. So if guests just hit 'on' they get my preferences.

wink_smile.gif
copperhead said:
The ones we rented in Europe controled everything, even the AC/Heat, but I am sure there there would be a way to wire it to allow the power to stay on for the AC. That would be the only way for us too...as we could never have our guests arrive to a unairconditioned room here in the summer (most spring and fall too
wink_smile.gif
). Again, this is just dreaming for most of us..unless you are building or in a major remodel, this would be cost prohibitive.

wink_smile.gif
copperhead said:
The ones we rented in Europe controled everything, even the AC/Heat, but I am sure there there would be a way to wire it to allow the power to stay on for the AC. That would be the only way for us too...as we could never have our guests arrive to a unairconditioned room here in the summer (most spring and fall too
wink_smile.gif
). Again, this is just dreaming for most of us..unless you are building or in a major remodel, this would be cost prohibitive.
copperhead said:
wink_smile.gif
I would guess if you had two cards per room, one could be left in the room to keep it cool, and you use the "master" to open the suite and show them where their card is, sitting in the holder. You would need several cards anyway with the guests losing them or going home with them all the time...
RIki

If we had a new building there would be a ton of differences in how we would run the B&B. Each week there is something new to repair that was not on the list that requires ALL hands on deck. Example it has now been three consecutive Saturdays to rebuild our closet due to the dead animal episode. I mean, heavy duty work all day 3 Saturdays - we have to do this to sell. Nothing we do in our own quarters are tax worthy to the IRS but it has to be done to sell, so we must do it.
Meanwhile the dishwasher which was emptied this morning has set itself TWICE today with barely nothing in it. I hear water and think, what the...go in and find it running again. I left the door open to be looked at tonight. Always something...and then something else. d'oh.
I have storm windows on year round, so this is not a problem for me. If it were, even though I have historic windows and frames, I would drill a screw into the frame right above the window so they could not open it.

Meanwhile the dishwasher which was emptied this morning has set itself TWICE today with barely nothing in it. I hear water and think, what the...go in and find it running again. I left the door open to be looked at tonight. Always something...and then something else. d'oh.
I have storm windows on year round, so this is not a problem for me. If it were, even though I have historic windows and frames, I would drill a screw into the frame right above the window so they could not open it.
Banana said:
Were you inspected by the fire dept before opening? There is an issue with that. I say this as I have these super tall windows behind me that will not open, and have storm windows AND screens on them. But our areas (OQ's) are not inspected for health & safety issues.

Yes, we have yearly fire inspections. I don't recall if they have ever inspected the windows. Fire panel, GFIs, no extension cords, etc...but I don't think they've ever looked at the windows.

Can I explain from my point of view? I have never in my life except once at one B&B I visited used those window a/c units, so a note WOULD be helpful for some (like me). :).
I do have notes that very nicely ask that they keep windows closed to help cool the rooms.
wink_smile.gif

nkeeprs said:
I do have notes that very nicely ask that they keep windows closed to help cool the rooms.
wink_smile.gif
Then your only recourse is to shoot them...
poke.gif

Nahhhhhh Not that bad LOL I just keep on smiling and move on

Arkansawyer said:
In Europe they only give each room ONE fob that will work the lights.
Everywhere we went that had such a system, we always had multiple keys that would work. Sometimes as many as four, and getting another was as simple as telling the front desk you'd misplaced your key. We're pretty diligent about turning off lights and TV's, etc., when we go out, so it wasn't really an issue, but would have been very easy. It is nice to be able to come back to a room, slide the key in, and presto-chango, your room immediately returns to way it was when you left.
And you always knew the location of at least one of your keys. ;).
Funny, no where we have stayed has been so free with keys! Oh well, obviously giving out multiple keys defeats their whole system. If they're going to do that they've wasted their money on the switching system.

wink_smile.gif
copperhead said:
Morticia said:
I don't know, he is in the planning stages. Given he's already costed it out at $400/room, my guess is that we're not doing it. We would never save $2800 in electricity, even at the inflated rates here.
I can't imagine it costing $400/room. It's just some wire and magnets!
Tell Gomez to take his time and mull it over. There's got to be a cheaper way. (Or maybe he's just quoting a high price so he doesn't have to do it?)
I'm checking into it. It might be possible to do it wirelessly with X10 modules (and X10 generally doesn't require an electrician).

Who knows? People are quirky.
confused_smile.gif
It's their room and they're paying for it, by gosh!
Both our houses have Central A/C and heat. We have ceiling fans in 4 rooms. The other 2 rooms with chandeliers have floor fans with remotes. People like moving air but it doesn't have to necesarily be cold. Outside wind isn't always consistent. 90% of the windows in our old houses open & have storm windows with screens. I didn't feel like I wanted to police the guests on how they wanted their air in their rooms.
We are traveling and everything is over air-conditioned. We actually were very bad guests and turned off our A/C in our room at the beach and opened the door to the balcony to catch the cool ocean breeze at night (windows didn't open). No, it did not have a screen door. Bad guests!

wink_smile.gif
copperhead said:
catlady said:
Hi we had these in a hotel where I worked and the number of guests we had come back to reception saying that their lights didn't work was astonishing despite the fact we told everyone on check in. I would use the system where you put the key fob in rather than swipe card as it is easier. Having spoken to the maintenance manager at the yorkshire they just go in where the light switch used to be so it is an easy change.

wink_smile.gif
copperhead said:
catlady said:
Hi we had these in a hotel where I worked and the number of guests we had come back to reception saying that their lights didn't work was astonishing despite the fact we told everyone on check in. I would use the system where you put the key fob in rather than swipe card as it is easier. Having spoken to the maintenance manager at the yorkshire they just go in where the light switch used to be so it is an easy change.
Having spoken to the maintenance manager at the yorkshire they just go in where the light switch used to be so it is an easy change.That would depend on how each room was wired. If I were to do that in my rooms the only thing it would control is the overhead light/ceiling fan, everything that plugs in to the sockets would still be functional - i.e. all my table lamps and TV.

Back