The Dreaded A/C's in guest rooms

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As regards the key fob operated system the easyiest way is just attached to the lights and is a change from an on off switch to one operated with the key fob but it would only operate the lights. However I find this is the thing that is most often left on. I am going to have a quivk look on the web to see if I can see any for sale and give a price.

And today a rainy day, I went in to make up their room only to find the airconditioner and electric fireplace on and window open all at the same time. Argh!!!

And today a rainy day, I went in to make up their room only to find the airconditioner and electric fireplace on and window open all at the same time. Argh!!!.
Victoria said:
And today a rainy day, I went in to make up their room only to find the airconditioner and electric fireplace on and window open all at the same time. Argh!!!
Sort of like creating their own micro-climate.

And today a rainy day, I went in to make up their room only to find the airconditioner and electric fireplace on and window open all at the same time. Argh!!!.
Victoria said:
Well, that hit all of them at once, didn't it.

Our guests from Scotland about passed out in this heat. It's only getting hotter too.
I had to laugh as I mention the lack of humidity here often enough, at one point today it was 95 and "felt like" 90. Last week I was east of here and when it was 95 it "felt like 105" according to the weather channel.

I found the heat on (thermostat) in the private bathroom the other day. I guesss they thought it was A/C - but considering the A/C in their ROOM is a window unit.... What kind of A/C could they think was in the bathroom????

despite my saying in the UK we don't really need air con to prove me wrong it has been absolutely boiling for about 3 weeks now!

I found the heat on (thermostat) in the private bathroom the other day. I guesss they thought it was A/C - but considering the A/C in their ROOM is a window unit.... What kind of A/C could they think was in the bathroom????
We find that quite a bit...all of the folks who have whole house systems have just one therm for heat and cool, so they see the therm and figure that's the cooling. Even tho it never turns the window unit on
wink_smile.gif
I'll find it set for 68 in the summer.
We do try to include the whole heating/cooling thing on the tour, but it doesn't always sink in. We had 2 couples (so 4 adults) in our suite one time and not a one of them could find the A/C. They complained at brekkie that it was roasting in the room and we said, 'Oh, is the A/C not working, we're sorry, you should have told us.'
They looked at each other and said, 'What A/C, all we could find was the heat.'
Even if you have never seen a window/wall A/C unit in your life, you could figure out what the thing is by looking at it. They never even saw them. Large as life.

Had a PITA from my very favorite state in the whole union ring the bell yesterday afternoon to tell hubs "It's getting a bit warm in my room". It was 4 pm, the temp outside was 102 degrees in the shade. Ya think???
Hubs explained that our whole house a/c unit was struggling a bit to keep up (understatement, as the neighboring town yesterday had power wires SPONTANEOUSLY COMBUST due to the heat!). He also explained it was the hottest part of the day and that the A/C unit would start to catch up again as soon as the sun moved over the house, and that in the meantime there is a fan in the closet of her room if she needed it for napping, etc. She just stared at him and turned to go out the front door. The temp in the foyer (near the front door) was reading 78 inside, I ran up to their room and before I even opened it could feel the cool air rushing out the bottom. Their room was a good bit cooler than the foyer.
Geesh.

Had a PITA from my very favorite state in the whole union ring the bell yesterday afternoon to tell hubs "It's getting a bit warm in my room". It was 4 pm, the temp outside was 102 degrees in the shade. Ya think???
Hubs explained that our whole house a/c unit was struggling a bit to keep up (understatement, as the neighboring town yesterday had power wires SPONTANEOUSLY COMBUST due to the heat!). He also explained it was the hottest part of the day and that the A/C unit would start to catch up again as soon as the sun moved over the house, and that in the meantime there is a fan in the closet of her room if she needed it for napping, etc. She just stared at him and turned to go out the front door. The temp in the foyer (near the front door) was reading 78 inside, I ran up to their room and before I even opened it could feel the cool air rushing out the bottom. Their room was a good bit cooler than the foyer.
Geesh..
Having lived most of my life in a climate that routinely has these temps, with the added humidity factor, it is impossible for ANY A/C system to keep the temps more than 15 - 25 degrees lower than outside temps. That is the facts...they did not make them to refrigerate the entire house only to condition the air to a more tolerable tempature.

Dh came home from work Tuesday to find the attic circ fan had kicked the bucket. It was over 100 degrees outside, so the attic temps were scalding, he had to climb up there and investigate it, then go to Lowe's and replace it, fortunately, it was that easy and only cost $85. These old houses don't have vents on the eaves like new houses, we have a/c and then the oppressive heat pushing down upon us, we can only do what we can do.

Dh came home from work Tuesday to find the attic circ fan had kicked the bucket. It was over 100 degrees outside, so the attic temps were scalding, he had to climb up there and investigate it, then go to Lowe's and replace it, fortunately, it was that easy and only cost $85. These old houses don't have vents on the eaves like new houses, we have a/c and then the oppressive heat pushing down upon us, we can only do what we can do..
Oh my and it is worse here today..the humidity is even higher. I am praying for rain.

Dh came home from work Tuesday to find the attic circ fan had kicked the bucket. It was over 100 degrees outside, so the attic temps were scalding, he had to climb up there and investigate it, then go to Lowe's and replace it, fortunately, it was that easy and only cost $85. These old houses don't have vents on the eaves like new houses, we have a/c and then the oppressive heat pushing down upon us, we can only do what we can do..
Lord have mercy, he must have been sweltering up in that attic. What a trooper.

Geesh..
Just had a guest here whose hubs does HVAC and she said to not turn the A/C level down to less than 20 degrees lower than the outside air as the A/C unit may freeze. Now, not sure what kinds of A/C that applies to but I am glad it is only 75 here today! As long as I don't jump around, it's pleasant. Even did the ironing with just the window open, no A/C.

Geesh..
Just had a guest here whose hubs does HVAC and she said to not turn the A/C level down to less than 20 degrees lower than the outside air as the A/C unit may freeze. Now, not sure what kinds of A/C that applies to but I am glad it is only 75 here today! As long as I don't jump around, it's pleasant. Even did the ironing with just the window open, no A/C.
That definitely applies to window units so it's a good idea to check on them if anyone has them in guest rooms.
They'll usually work fine again once they thaw. But that takes time and, meanwhile, they're just cranking out the electricity with little result if frozen.

Geesh..
Glad it is cooling down your way, Mort. It has been inching up here the last couple of days as the rain as moved east and we have clear blue skys!
JB, another Murphy law - if it is going to brake, it will brake at the most inappropriate time.

Mort part two of the dilemma was the freezer was also dead, that is what happened, we were not here using the ice maker and it froze up and we, ahem, DH, had to pull the whole unit out and turn off the fridge and it was a royal mess. This is the same freezer/ice maker we have had issues with for over a year. I am ready to toss the whole side by side out. Oh yeah, that's right, it costs money and all that money is going into keeping this place cool.
Edit - whole unit meaning whole refrigerator unit and dissect it in the middle of the kitchen. Yes we had guests here and the food was still in the fridge overnight with tape on the door so I wouldn't open it.

Back