The dreaded B edB ug topic again

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperhead

Reaction score
I despise this topic but must share the info I was made aware of by a business guest. First let me say that when he arrived and I took him to the room I was very aware of his intense inspection of the room and bathroom then straight to the bed to pull off the bedding to view the mattress - in this case the mattress cover.
At that point I asked if anything was wrong. ---- No, just checking for b edb ugs! (bb) was the answer. I know (well think) people have done this before, just not in front of me!! It was very uncomfortable to say the least. Just so you know, no bugs here! TG
Later the guy comes down and wants to chat. He is a commercial INS agent and also handles claims. The topic of bb's came back up and he shared an interesting story of a claim he just handled and how it is a scam being done around the country.
He received a claim on a nicely run hotel chain for bbs. The story is that a couple stayed at this hotel for 7 nights and on the morning of check out stated they had been bitten the night before while sleeping. The mgr saw a couple of the bites and went to the room and saw the bb. The couple received their stay for free but then filed a claim. Again, they stayed 7 days before stating any issues. It is believed they brought them in in a jar and released them the last night. A scam that can 'award' them an average of $10 - $15k a pop.
Another note to put under your hat is that some ins carriers are now adding exclusions for bb claims to their policies. He stated to keep your eyes open as some carriers try to sneak the exclusions in without disclosing.

My neighbour had this with wasps - they refused to pay as apartment (like a holiday rental only booked for 1 night) as it was "infested with wasps" my friend got a wasp man out right away - said no wasps and no nest they must have brought them in themselves - principle is the same.

My neighbour had this with wasps - they refused to pay as apartment (like a holiday rental only booked for 1 night) as it was "infested with wasps" my friend got a wasp man out right away - said no wasps and no nest they must have brought them in themselves - principle is the same..
I can't believe this; we must have had that exact same guest! We had a guest RAGE upon checkout about "bug infested cabin" that had two wasps. They called and we came right out and got rid of them. But the customer wrote a scathing TA review about "Bug infested cabin" and demanded refunds! Wow, I am convinced there is an underground community of lodging scam artists out there who prey on hotels and inns just to get nights for free.

there is always someone ready to use any kind of scam it seems. any way to get money or free stays. jeez.

My neighbour had this with wasps - they refused to pay as apartment (like a holiday rental only booked for 1 night) as it was "infested with wasps" my friend got a wasp man out right away - said no wasps and no nest they must have brought them in themselves - principle is the same..
I can't believe this; we must have had that exact same guest! We had a guest RAGE upon checkout about "bug infested cabin" that had two wasps. They called and we came right out and got rid of them. But the customer wrote a scathing TA review about "Bug infested cabin" and demanded refunds! Wow, I am convinced there is an underground community of lodging scam artists out there who prey on hotels and inns just to get nights for free.
I am certain there is - when I worked in a large hotel had a couple who were a complete nightmare all the time - the duty manager after the first night chucked them out. However guests who had been at the next table came and told me that in between them having a go at the restaurant manager (a friend of mine) in the middle of busy service they were laughing and joking about it and how they would get a refund etc and that they hoped we hadn't given them anything as they were complete scam artists.
They left a hot water bottle and asked could it be posted "and they would send a cheque for the postage" said I was sorry we had a minimum £5 charge as we would have to wrap it and send a member of staff to the post office who would also have to be paid. Said he would have to think about it - we sent it with no postage on which in the UK means you have to go specially to the post office and get it plus pay about 3 times what it cost to post it to collect it as it is extra work for the post office - served him right the complete git!

...about "bug infested cabin" that had two wasps.
As has been said here before, wasps and spiders and mosquitos are part of nature that comes into everybody's home from time to time. It's unreasonable for people to pitch a fit and demand a refund over something unavoidable like that. It can happen to anyone's home or business, and people who can't deal with it on their own are somewhat pathetic!

...about "bug infested cabin" that had two wasps.
As has been said here before, wasps and spiders and mosquitos are part of nature that comes into everybody's home from time to time. It's unreasonable for people to pitch a fit and demand a refund over something unavoidable like that. It can happen to anyone's home or business, and people who can't deal with it on their own are somewhat pathetic!.
if it was hundreds or a nest or someone was actually bitten or stung that is one thing - 2 dead wasps on a sill? having a laugh!

Back