"The drinks are in the fridge?"

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Last minute walk-ins. 50 questions. Show the rooms 2x because one comes in to look and then the other has to choose. The stairs are too much. (I offered to help.) Get them checked in, 'when do you lock the front door?' 9PM (it's 8:55) 'Oh, that early?' I say they can use the other door to come and go to the porch. 'No, that's too far to walk.' (Saints preserve me.) 'There's a TV in the room?' (They've both looked at each room.) 'Drinks in the fridge?' (no drinks.) Explanations by one to the other that some B&B's provide their guests with drinks, some don't. 'At least Kool aid or lemonade.'

I have 3 kinds of soda....first I charged 75 cents on the honor system. Soda's gone, no money. Now I offer them for free. I can stop it at anytime.
I would never expect to get drinks, besides coffee or tea.

I have 3 kinds of soda....first I charged 75 cents on the honor system. Soda's gone, no money. Now I offer them for free. I can stop it at anytime.
I would never expect to get drinks, besides coffee or tea..
For me as a guest, complimentary beverages would depend on the rate. jmvvho, but if you are charging over $125/night, I think there should be something set out, even if it's lemonade or iced tea in the afternoon. I think it's a nice touch that weary travelers often expect at a B&B vs. a hotel. Just my 2 cents.

For me as a guest, complimentary beverages would depend on the rate. jmvvho, but if you are charging over $125/night, I think there should be something set out, even if it's lemonade or iced tea in the afternoon. I think it's a nice touch that weary travelers often expect at a B&B vs. a hotel. Just my 2 cents.
We like to have the mini bottles of water and soda in the tasting room fridge and in the suites. They usually drink the whole drink since it's small so we don't have the half drunk sodas and that waste.
Riki

can your guests make themselves coffee or tea when they want?
i direct them to that.
if it is HOT which it is NOT here right now, i sometimes make up some lemonaid or iced tea but it often gets thrown away which is a disappointment and a waste.
at 9 pm i am doing last minute prep for the morning before getting ready for wind down to sleep. travelers are really on their own timetable, aren't they?
do you sometimes think it's because your name has 'inn' like me? people think we are staffed by actual multiple people. i called another 'inn' in a nearby village that is really an INN .. with a restaurant ... not a b&b but the breakfast comes with rooms ... and was switched from person to person to person to person ... different people would pick up the phone and answer ''xxkitchen ... xxlaundry ... xxhousekeeping ... xxreception ... xxoffice'' until they located her. i was like, wow! no wonder i saw the innkeeper once in three years - out walking his dog - but not at the inn.
sometimes, i want to answer the phone 'housekeeping' or 'kitchen' just for laughs!
wink_smile.gif

We like to have the mini bottles of water and soda in the tasting room fridge and in the suites. They usually drink the whole drink since it's small so we don't have the half drunk sodas and that waste.
Riki
Same here - in the land of Coke products we have a selection in all the guest fridges, along with bottled water. I'll throw in some Starbucks fraps or bottle green tea, stuff like that if I pick it up on sale. I've even had sparkling water which our guests like.
Folks like iced tea here in the South in the afternoon - it rarely goes to waste :)

Hey, at 9 PM you're lucky I'm not in my jammies, much less having drinks out!
tounge_smile.gif

i direct them to that.
if it is HOT which it is NOT here right now, i sometimes make up some lemonaid or iced tea but it often gets thrown away which is a disappointment and a waste.
at 9 pm i am doing last minute prep for the morning before getting ready for wind down to sleep. travelers are really on their own timetable, aren't they?
do you sometimes think it's because your name has 'inn' like me? people think we are staffed by actual multiple people. i called another 'inn' in a nearby village that is really an INN .. with a restaurant ... not a b&b but the breakfast comes with rooms ... and was switched from person to person to person to person ... different people would pick up the phone and answer ''xxkitchen ... xxlaundry ... xxhousekeeping ... xxreception ... xxoffice'' until they located her. i was like, wow! no wonder i saw the innkeeper once in three years - out walking his dog - but not at the inn.
sometimes, i want to answer the phone 'housekeeping' or 'kitchen' just for laughs!
wink_smile.gif
seashanty said:
i direct them to that.
Yes, I was trying to show her the tea & coffee setup as she was headed for the kitchen!
Turned out to be very nice, very chatty people, but it was late when they arrived and I was beat.

i direct them to that.
wink_smile.gif
seashanty said:
i direct them to that.
Yes, I was trying to show her the tea & coffee setup as she was headed for the kitchen!
Turned out to be very nice, very chatty people, but it was late when they arrived and I was beat.
we have bottled waters and sodas (8 oz sizes) in a dorm frig on each floor. Guests were outside on our porch and one decided to refill the ice bucket herself.. we came into the kitchen just as she was opening up the freezer door.. we 'bout had a hissy fit - and insisted that we help her - in making our home a homey place for guests they don't understand the boundaries. We can let them know that it's our space and health dept regs, etc.. and sometimes it falls on deaf ears!

This is the reason we do not accept walk-ups or calls late in the day asking for availability for that night unless a room is already made up and we haven't made plans for the evening and my menu is fexible enough for additional guests. I guess there is an advantage to not having a sign out front.
We have a guest frig with assorted sodas, bottled water and Snapple iced tea. Occassionally my dh will offer them a beer or glass of wine. There are also tea and coffee set-ups.

i direct them to that.
wink_smile.gif
seashanty said:
i direct them to that.
we have bottled waters and sodas (8 oz sizes) in a dorm frig on each floor. Guests were outside on our porch and one decided to refill the ice bucket herself.. we came into the kitchen just as she was opening up the freezer door.. we 'bout had a hissy fit - and insisted that we help her - in making our home a homey place for guests they don't understand the boundaries. We can let them know that it's our space and health dept regs, etc.. and sometimes it falls on deaf ears!
I used to have a sign on the fridge door explaining guests could get ice and store items in the guest fridge in the guest area. And to please not put anything in or take anything out of this fridge. 'Yes, this does mean you.'
Came out one afternoon and there were guests sitting in the dining room with cake and glasses of milk. They wanted to know what the deal was with this sign? Would anyone really go into my fridge and take something out?
Hmmmm, like the milk they were drinking???
They just assumed the sign did NOT mean them.

When guests arrive, I show them the kitchen first, direct them to the Tea, Coffee, Sodas and Juices, besides cookies or whatever I put out that day. Then they are on their own.
I have yet to buy smal fridges, but having only one upstairs in the hallway might not be an bad idea either. Also would safe on electricity......

i direct them to that.
wink_smile.gif
seashanty said:
i direct them to that.
greyswan said:
we 'bout had a hissy fit -
Virginia is in the South. In the South, they do not have a hissy fit - they PITCH a hissy fit. Would not want you mistaken for one of them Damn Yankees.

i direct them to that.
wink_smile.gif
seashanty said:
i direct them to that.
greyswan said:
Virginia is in the South. In the South, they do not have a hissy fit - they PITCH a hissy fit. Would not want you mistaken for one of them Damn Yankees.
gillumhouse said:
greyswan said:
Not all Virginians are southerners. Just ask any them around here and they will tell you. This is the only state that has northerners and southerners in the same state,

i direct them to that.
wink_smile.gif
seashanty said:
i direct them to that.
greyswan said:
gillumhouse said:
greyswan said:
Not all Virginians are southerners. Just ask any them around here and they will tell you. This is the only state that has northerners and southerners in the same state,
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
The Tourism Region gurus cannot decide where West Virginia belongs. With some we are Mid-atlantic, with some we are south, with some we are north. However, although Virginia may have both southerners and northerners (WV has the same quandry), West Virginia is the only State that is in the defining delineation between North & South - part of it is north of the Mason-Dixon line and most of it is south of it. The border between Marshall County and Wetzel County is the Mason-Dixon..
People who crossed the Mason-Dixon to go to the Northern Panhandle to work (mines or steel mills mostly) are called Hoopies. Those who went south to work are called Peehoos.

i direct them to that.
wink_smile.gif
seashanty said:
i direct them to that.
greyswan said:
gillumhouse said:
greyswan said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
The Tourism Region gurus cannot decide where West Virginia belongs. With some we are Mid-atlantic, with some we are south, with some we are north. However, although Virginia may have both southerners and northerners (WV has the same quandry), West Virginia is the only State that is in the defining delineation between North & South - part of it is north of the Mason-Dixon line and most of it is south of it. The border between Marshall County and Wetzel County is the Mason-Dixon..
People who crossed the Mason-Dixon to go to the Northern Panhandle to work (mines or steel mills mostly) are called Hoopies. Those who went south to work are called Peehoos.
gillumhouse said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Yes I can see that in WV. It is not a square or a simple rectangular shaped state, so there are diff angles with diff types of demographics.
We stayed in Cumberland Court House VA 18 miles to Farmville. In Farmville the Confederate army arrived nearly starved to death toward the end of the Civil War.
There is a plaquard that states General Lee and his sidekick received a letter here from General Grant telling them to give up or starve to death. General Lee and his sidekick said "Not yet."
Cumberland is just north of Appomattox, and about an hour this side of Richmond. This tiny town has a gas station and dollar general and the court house and that is it.
In front of this courthouse on July 1, 1863, Confederate General J.E.B. Stuart (From our neck of the woods I might add) demanded that the Union General William Smith surrender and he replied, "shell and be damned." One of the columns bears the mark of the artillery barrage that followed before General Robert E. Lee ordered the Confederate cavalry unit to the Battle of Gettysburg.
and the rest is history...as they say.
regular_smile.gif

i direct them to that.
wink_smile.gif
seashanty said:
i direct them to that.
greyswan said:
gillumhouse said:
greyswan said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
gillumhouse said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Yes I can see that in WV. It is not a square or a simple rectangular shaped state, so there are diff angles with diff types of demographics.
We stayed in Cumberland Court House VA 18 miles to Farmville. In Farmville the Confederate army arrived nearly starved to death toward the end of the Civil War.
There is a plaquard that states General Lee and his sidekick received a letter here from General Grant telling them to give up or starve to death. General Lee and his sidekick said "Not yet."
Cumberland is just north of Appomattox, and about an hour this side of Richmond. This tiny town has a gas station and dollar general and the court house and that is it.
In front of this courthouse on July 1, 1863, Confederate General J.E.B. Stuart (From our neck of the woods I might add) demanded that the Union General William Smith surrender and he replied, "shell and be damned." One of the columns bears the mark of the artillery barrage that followed before General Robert E. Lee ordered the Confederate cavalry unit to the Battle of Gettysburg.
and the rest is history...as they say.
regular_smile.gif

And Stonewall Jackson was born and reared just 10 miles south of me - in Clarksburg (Virginia when he was born). His grandparent's farm - Jackson's Mill, where he spent much of his boyhood after his Father died - is a bit farther south and is now owned by the State ( bequeathed by the last of the family to own it) where they hold Boys State, the Stonewall Jackson Heritage Jubilee every Labor Day weekend, and many conferences and gatherings.
The Battle of Philippi (pronounced phillip-pee) was fought just 35 miles from my house.

Maryland also has northerners and southerners. Even though the Mason-Dixon line is Maryland's northern border, Maryland sent militia groups to both sides of the war. When you hear about brother against brother it was truly the case in Maryland where family members fought on both sides. The western (and somewhat the northern) part of the state is mountainous and independent, while the southern (and eastern) part of the state were tobacco farmers with slaves. It ended up being a "free state" and fought officially for the union, even though technically it's on the south side of the Mason-Dixon line. Washington, D.C. still had slave trade until the Emancipation Proclamation, and Baltimore (which was pro-south) had martial law enacted against it by Lincoln.
Ohio, too, while being thoroughly a northern state, is really very different from the northern part where we are, to southern Ohio, and there is a mix of attitudes even here. (Much to dh's distress when encountering racism among his coworkers.)
=)
Kk.

See this is all interesting as people from other parts of the country do not understand how it is. Our friend was in OK City after they had the terrorist bombings there (Search and rescue) and he kept calling it the mid-west and they all kept correcting him. But if you don't spend time in each state you do not know this. Or have your eyes closed to the people.
Of course the other thing is that southerners do not call Floridians southerners either. They call themselves that, but southerners will refute it.
I am learning alot here. Alot from our guests - like PA being so huge (wide) has its own classification geographically. Of course I never knew this. I would always ask guests "Where in PA? CLoser to Philly or closer to Pittsburgh?" Most of our guests are from the middle! DOH!

See this is all interesting as people from other parts of the country do not understand how it is. Our friend was in OK City after they had the terrorist bombings there (Search and rescue) and he kept calling it the mid-west and they all kept correcting him. But if you don't spend time in each state you do not know this. Or have your eyes closed to the people.
Of course the other thing is that southerners do not call Floridians southerners either. They call themselves that, but southerners will refute it.
I am learning alot here. Alot from our guests - like PA being so huge (wide) has its own classification geographically. Of course I never knew this. I would always ask guests "Where in PA? CLoser to Philly or closer to Pittsburgh?" Most of our guests are from the middle! DOH!.
WV has 9 Tourism regions - and each is topographically and culturally different from the other. Speech patterns, dialect, jobs (or lack of), history, ethnicity - all different.

Back