The epitome of generosity

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
A closetful of hangers. Don't you think? You never really notice hangers unless you can't find one. (And I just found out one room had NONE. Hmmmm. Trying to remember the last guest in that room.)
Anyway, today I went around and loaded up the valets and the closets with hangers. Between 6-10 depending on how much room there was.

How long do you estimate it will take them to disappear?

Wood, metal or plastic.
I don't think I have ever had one disappear. But mine are wooden. Perhaps it is a perceived value thing?

Yup, that has happened to me. Usually though, I just find that my nicely matched wooden hangers have all been replaced by dry-cleaner metal ones with paper wrapping. Do you suppose the wooden ones just morphed into metal? Strange indeed.

Only once I noticed wooden hangers gone, and then a guest called and said they accidentally put them all into the suitcase as they packed up early in the am's.
I did have nice lingerie hangers in all the rooms, people put heavy coats and things on them and broke them. what the! Those seem to go walking as well, I only have like 3 left from all rooms combined! I would not add these to the rooms, they were already here so I made sure all the rooms had them, but would never buy them again (in case anyone is wondering) even the robes are too heavy for them.
m_satin_padded_lingerie_hanger_3_colours_pink.jpg

Wood, metal or plastic.
I don't think I have ever had one disappear. But mine are wooden. Perhaps it is a perceived value thing?.
Wood.
The metal ones (left behind from dry cleaning) go to the recycle. The plastic ones I take for myself.

How long do you estimate it will take them to disappear?.
Arkansawyer said:
Years. The ones I noticed were missing had been in the room 5-6 years.
Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
That's great to know. I was thinking of getting the ones with ball tips like hotels use since people steal the regular ones. I don't like them, though I don't know why. They're no harder to use than regular ones. Maybe I don't like them because I can't use them if I steal them :)
Wood+Hanger+-+Ball+Top+with+Dowel.jpg

Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
That's great to know. I was thinking of getting the ones with ball tips like hotels use since people steal the regular ones. I don't like them, though I don't know why. They're no harder to use than regular ones. Maybe I don't like them because I can't use them if I steal them :)

Please don't get those. It implies to the guest that you don't trust them. 99% of guests we get are perfectly trustworthy, but I think a lot of that has to do with trusting them. We don't nail anything down. We have nice things on display. We have our antique collections out for guests to look at.
I liken it to having an apt for rent that is a dump. As the landlord you have just said to the prospective renter that you expect them to trash the place so what's the sense in even cleaning it first. Even really nice people will return the favor and leave it worse than they found it.

Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:

Please don't get those. It implies to the guest that you don't trust them. 99% of guests we get are perfectly trustworthy, but I think a lot of that has to do with trusting them. We don't nail anything down. We have nice things on display. We have our antique collections out for guests to look at.
I liken it to having an apt for rent that is a dump. As the landlord you have just said to the prospective renter that you expect them to trash the place so what's the sense in even cleaning it first. Even really nice people will return the favor and leave it worse than they found it.
I stayed at a hotel in England that had removed the regular hooks from standard wooden hangers and screwed a wood screw into the top, using the screw head to lock it into the little holder rather than a standard ball head!
I thought the owner was incredibly cheap and tacky, but.admired his ingenuity.

It was one of the things I always disputed with the AA as they were always on you should have expensive wooden ones to show quality I said I would go bankrupt (they say 6 per person ie 12 in a double room) with the amount people knick! I buy plastic ones from wallmart all black and about 10 for a pound (ie $2) and thats good enough then if they go walkies i don't care. I keep a couple of packs in and top them up as they are pinched.

Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:

I stayed at a hotel in England that had removed the regular hooks from standard wooden hangers and screwed a wood screw into the top, using the screw head to lock it into the little holder rather than a standard ball head!
I thought the owner was incredibly cheap and tacky, but.admired his ingenuity.
I have my wooden hangers go on trips. The last set of 12 I number them in black pen and wrote on the hanger please donot remove from our B&B(name0. those have lasted one year so far and counting. May be that the secret????

my dad had bought my mum as a gift one that says property of Her Majestys Prison Do not Remove. Always made me laugh as a child.

It was one of the things I always disputed with the AA as they were always on you should have expensive wooden ones to show quality I said I would go bankrupt (they say 6 per person ie 12 in a double room) with the amount people knick! I buy plastic ones from wallmart all black and about 10 for a pound (ie $2) and thats good enough then if they go walkies i don't care. I keep a couple of packs in and top them up as they are pinched..
I got a box of 30 for under $20. That's why I'm feeling generous. A few years ago they were 4 hangers for $20.

I appreciate nice hangers! Especially when we traveled for our son's wedding. Fortunately, the hotel had good quality wooden hangers and they were plentiful. We were there for several days with different types of clothes for all the events.
Also, wood hangers are the way to go if folks have to hang up heavy winter clothes and coats.
In addition to regular wood hangers here and a few padded lingerie/sweater hangers, we also had a few wood hangers here for skirts and trousers, as folks stayed with us often for military graduations.

I have wood hangers on my rooms. Very few have ever taken a walk - if any. I replaced the plastic ones with wood hangers from Big Lots - about $1 each in price (3 for $3 + tax).

Back