The Expanding Dinner

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skamokawa

Reaction score
Guest asked yesterday for dinner for six tomorrow. OK.
This morning it is now dinner for nine.
I asked how many in their total gathering (only two are staying here). Nine.
So it won't get any bigger. (well, not likely)
DH will test his waiter skills tomorrow! I can do six but nine will require serving help.
Let's see if we're still married on Thursday! <grin>
I was almost tempted to do buffet like for family Thanksgiving dinner, but dining room size would make that awkward, so plated for nine it will be. Haven't done more than six (3 different couples) in one night since we started.
I'll let y'all know how it goes.

You can do it! I do lunch frequently for 8 -15 by myself. We used to do dinners here all the time. We don't get enough requests for dinners to offer them.

We did that last summer for wedding parties. Dinner for 10 & dinner for 12. I charged them a ton more than what we usually charge for 1 or 2 couples. Hired a professional server and we still were exhausted by the end of the evening.
Are they all eating the same thing?
You'll do great and there WILL be grumblings in the kitchen, but I'm sure you'll make everything work.

What's for dinner?.
Starter green salad, then Pot Roast, garlic mashed potatoes, ginger carrots, chilled asparagus and focaccia - followed by rhubarb/strawberry or apple pie. All stuff that can hold long enough to serve correct temperature. :)
There will be two tables, one for four, one for five. I have matching service - except only 6 matching wine glasses, so I'll use antique goblets. (nod to Gillum)
I'll have extra condiments, water, coffee and such at the ready on a side table for easier service.

What's for dinner?.
Starter green salad, then Pot Roast, garlic mashed potatoes, ginger carrots, chilled asparagus and focaccia - followed by rhubarb/strawberry or apple pie. All stuff that can hold long enough to serve correct temperature. :)
There will be two tables, one for four, one for five. I have matching service - except only 6 matching wine glasses, so I'll use antique goblets. (nod to Gillum)
I'll have extra condiments, water, coffee and such at the ready on a side table for easier service.
Good plan! Mine had too many choices which made it very complicated.

so dinner is tonight?
good luck!.
Thanks.
All went well, as Diva predicted - a bit tense in the kitchen there for a bit, but all happy and DH has gone to a well deserved sleep. Waiting up for two guests now. Clean up is done, dining room restored to normal for AM breakfast service.
(three said "I don't like carrots, but those were really good" Ginger carrots - really more like candy)
tee hee. dang, forgot to take pictures!
"hunger makes the best sauce" - Irish proverb

so dinner is tonight?
good luck!.
Thanks.
All went well, as Diva predicted - a bit tense in the kitchen there for a bit, but all happy and DH has gone to a well deserved sleep. Waiting up for two guests now. Clean up is done, dining room restored to normal for AM breakfast service.
(three said "I don't like carrots, but those were really good" Ginger carrots - really more like candy)
tee hee. dang, forgot to take pictures!
"hunger makes the best sauce" - Irish proverb
Congratulations! I knew you'd come through with flying colors. No way you could have taken pictures in the middle of that rush! Now that you've been through it once, consider adding a 'group charge' if you ever choose to do a group again. You have to do a lot more work, so make it worth it.
lightbulb.gif

Back