The extras

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
We all do things we think/know are above and beyond what you get at your run of the mill hotels. (I would expect high end hotels do a lot more than I would even care to undertake, so I'm sticking with hotels in my price range!)
What's the new one on my list? Paying a guest's parking ticket. They are from overseas and got a parking ticket yesterday. They didn't know how to take care of it because they didn't want to mail cash and they were leaving today. So, they handed me the ticket and the fine and asked if I could take care of it for them. So I'll be walking down to the police dept on Monday to take care of this.

Now that's hospitality!
cheers.gif

Madeleine said:
We all do things we think/know are above and beyond what you get at your run of the mill hotels. (I would expect high end hotels do a lot more than I would even care to undertake, so I'm sticking with hotels in my price range!)
What's the new one on my list? Paying a guest's parking ticket. They are from overseas and got a parking ticket yesterday. They didn't know how to take care of it because they didn't want to mail cash and they were leaving today. So, they handed me the ticket and the fine and asked if I could take care of it for them. So I'll be walking down to the police dept on Monday to take care of this.
But you paid with their money? Either way, that is nice of you so now they don't need to worry. Are you going to mail or email their receipt to them?

I meet my horse guests at the Interstate and guide them to the stable. One hill we go up is 2-lane and the only parking is in one of those lanes. Downhill has the right of way since theirs is the "open" lane. Once I see my people round the curve, I go like a bat out of hell to the top to stop traffic comind down as it would be VERY dificult to find a space to pull a rig over to let them come down. People are really nice about waiting at the top for the horse trailer to come up. Guests appreciate it also. I do not charge for it.

Madeleine said:
But you paid with their money? Either way, that is nice of you so now they don't need to worry. Are you going to mail or email their receipt to them?.
Yes, their money. I'll keep the receipt here in case it is ever needed. They were walk-ins so all I have is a street address otherwise I could scan the receipt and email it to them.

I can beat that! got 3 of my guests at various times off parking tickets!,
early breakfasts - many and various
late check in's - many and various
- sorted out accommodation for a woman who's daughter was having a baby any time (literally) and had just turned up in town during a busy conference
Sorted out many and various people's accommodation my guests, their colleagues and randoms.
ironing
printing and laminating
many and various dietary requirements
for a start

- sorted out accommodation for a woman who's daughter was having a baby any time (literally) and had just turned up in town during a busy conference
Sorted out many and various people's accommodation my guests, their colleagues and randoms.
ironing
printing and laminating
for a start.
Getting them off would have been better...

ironing
printing and laminating
for a start.
I will always remember our visit to Holmfirth, England. We parked across the street from where they filmed Sid's Cafe in the "Last of the Summer Wine" series. I paid for a few hours of parking (we took the Last of the Summer Wine bus tour that took a couple of hours) and left my paid parking tag on the car dashboard like the other cars had done it.
When we got back to the car later, with 15 minutes to spare on the parking time, I saw I had a parking ticket waving at me from under the windshield wiper. Then I saw the problem. When I closed the car door as we left, the breeze blew my parking tag over so it couldn't be read.
I ignored the ticket thinking they'd never bother to track me down in America for such a small thing. HA! A few months later a $165 charge appeared on the credit card I'd used to pay for our rental car! How I wish I'd asked our B&B hosts where I should go to pay the ticket. It was only a few pounds. Live and learn!

This morning, as lovely 80-year-old guests from CA were checking out, they discovered that they had mistakenly made their vehicle reservation for a ferry to an island for June 2, instead of for today, June 3.They already had confirmed hotel reservations made for tonight on the island. Ooops. They were in a panic so I dove in, called the ferry company for the best stratagy in light of the missed ferry yesterday, printed detailed directions to the dock, and got my guests out the door in record time to be first in stand-by for the next ferry. They just called to say they will be going out at 1:00 PM with the car. They were thrilled.
It's all part of what we do and it is the service that keeps 'em coming back...if not to the same B+B, then to a B+B somewhere else in the world.

ironing
printing and laminating
for a start.
I will always remember our visit to Holmfirth, England. We parked across the street from where they filmed Sid's Cafe in the "Last of the Summer Wine" series. I paid for a few hours of parking (we took the Last of the Summer Wine bus tour that took a couple of hours) and left my paid parking tag on the car dashboard like the other cars had done it.
When we got back to the car later, with 15 minutes to spare on the parking time, I saw I had a parking ticket waving at me from under the windshield wiper. Then I saw the problem. When I closed the car door as we left, the breeze blew my parking tag over so it couldn't be read.
I ignored the ticket thinking they'd never bother to track me down in America for such a small thing. HA! A few months later a $165 charge appeared on the credit card I'd used to pay for our rental car! How I wish I'd asked our B&B hosts where I should go to pay the ticket. It was only a few pounds. Live and learn!
Yup what they do is they send the bill to the rental company who then pass on the fee to you. If it had been your own car you would have gotten away with it!

And then what we won't do... serve breakfast at 7 AM in the middle of the summer. Less so willing if you give me grief about being inflexible. Didn't even get a chance to offer a to go bag.

And then what we won't do... serve breakfast at 7 AM in the middle of the summer. Less so willing if you give me grief about being inflexible. Didn't even get a chance to offer a to go bag..
Madeleine said:
And then what we won't do... serve breakfast at 7 AM in the middle of the summer. Less so willing if you give me grief about being inflexible. Didn't even get a chance to offer a to go bag.
I'm right there with you Maddy! All over my website we say breakfast is delivered at 9:00 or 9:30, otherwise continental. Even in the winter, I won't get up earlier to do a single room. If they're the only room, I'll tell them I can do a 'simple' hot breakfast for them at 8:30. They'll get omelettes because I do that in a few minutes. My natural body rhythm is wide awake at night and sleepy in the morning. It's something I fight constantly.

You are putting it on their bill aren't you?? You should not have to pay this yourself. I don't care how much it is. You are doing them a nice service by taking care of it..but they need to pay. What if they were caught speeding??? That would certainly be more than a parking ticket...believe I know....I just paid $139 yesterday. I learned my lesson...still not used to my quiet hybrid :-( Really didn't think I was going that fast.

You are putting it on their bill aren't you?? You should not have to pay this yourself. I don't care how much it is. You are doing them a nice service by taking care of it..but they need to pay. What if they were caught speeding??? That would certainly be more than a parking ticket...believe I know....I just paid $139 yesterday. I learned my lesson...still not used to my quiet hybrid :-( Really didn't think I was going that fast..
catlady said:
You are putting it on their bill aren't you?? You should not have to pay this yourself. I don't care how much it is. You are doing them a nice service by taking care of it..but they need to pay. What if they were caught speeding??? That would certainly be more than a parking ticket...believe I know....I just paid $139 yesterday. I learned my lesson...still not used to my quiet hybrid :-( Really didn't think I was going that fast.
Read a little further along, you'll see that it was the guests money ... they just didn't have the time to go and pay it themselves.

I love my town.
Just called a local restaurant that I know does not open until 5 PM for dinner and asked if they could seat my 12 guests at 4:30. Hostess said they could do drinks but the kitchen didn't open until 5 PM. Then she said, 'Hang on, let me see what I can do.' She went and spoke to the chef and he said, 'Tell them to come on over, we'll do apps and take the dinner order and get them set up.'
Guests were VERY happy.

I love my town.
Just called a local restaurant that I know does not open until 5 PM for dinner and asked if they could seat my 12 guests at 4:30. Hostess said they could do drinks but the kitchen didn't open until 5 PM. Then she said, 'Hang on, let me see what I can do.' She went and spoke to the chef and he said, 'Tell them to come on over, we'll do apps and take the dinner order and get them set up.'
Guests were VERY happy..
That's great...customer service is what it is all about :)

oh my!
i HATE ironing ... that is amazing.
paying my fines for me ... even with funds i provide ... that is awesome.
i didn't mind doing a 5 am breakfast pre-arranged. it didn't happen that often (thank goodness!) but iron? noooooo ... besides, you wouldn't want me to iron for you.
confused_smile.gif

I love my town.
Guests were VERY happy..
And the guests said it was very good.

oh my!
i HATE ironing ... that is amazing.
paying my fines for me ... even with funds i provide ... that is awesome.
i didn't mind doing a 5 am breakfast pre-arranged. it didn't happen that often (thank goodness!) but iron? noooooo ... besides, you wouldn't want me to iron for you.
confused_smile.gif
I will press something for a guest in a heartbeat - gearing up to iron pillowcases is a different staory.

Back