The eyes have it

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
We have spoken here before about different guest quirks. The wife who speaks on behalf of her husband, as you look directly at him she will answer and say "He will have..." or "He did this or that..." The Mommy syndrome.
Last night I checked guests in late and as I spoke to them both, looking at both during the conversation she would at times look over at him with this sideways glance. It made me hesitate as I spoke. It was the oddest thing. Was there some secret I was not privvy to? Was I saying something she had just said in the car and it was a "Told you so" glance? I do not know, but it was odd.
Just thought I would share this here. I have not encountered this one before. Year 8 in this biz and something new...

Very interesting! I had a couple EXACTLY like this check in yesterday afternoon!! The little sideways glances are SOOO unsettling... I have never had this experience before either...
confused_smile.gif

Very interesting! I had a couple EXACTLY like this check in yesterday afternoon!! The little sideways glances are SOOO unsettling... I have never had this experience before either...
confused_smile.gif
What did you gut tell you? I mean, I still don't know. I am sure they weren't making fun of me, but that was kind of how it felt, very very strange.
I mean, let me clarify, I have had people excited to be here who look at each other and smile, this was not the same thing.
What does a sideways glance mean! Somebody hepp me!

confused_smile.gif
What did you gut tell you? I mean, I still don't know. I am sure they weren't making fun of me, but that was kind of how it felt, very very strange.
I mean, let me clarify, I have had people excited to be here who look at each other and smile, this was not the same thing.
Joey Bloggs said:
For us it is "See! I told you it would be great!"

confused_smile.gif
Sometimes I have to fight the "mommy" thing (we have 9 kids) but I will give that glance because I am waiting for him to speak and trying to keep my mouth shut. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, just wishing he would say what i want to and knowing that if I speak up later I will hear "I was going to say that, can't you let me get a word in?"

confused_smile.gif
Sometimes I have to fight the "mommy" thing (we have 9 kids) but I will give that glance because I am waiting for him to speak and trying to keep my mouth shut. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, just wishing he would say what i want to and knowing that if I speak up later I will hear "I was going to say that, can't you let me get a word in?"
Susan said:
I have a quiet man, I know of which you speak. This wasn't that. She is quieter than he.

confused_smile.gif
Susan said:
I have a quiet man, I know of which you speak. This wasn't that. She is quieter than he.

confused_smile.gif
Wish I could've read their minds (especially 'his')... This morning I mentioned my unease to my 17 yr old daughter and was surprised to hear her agree whole heartedly with my comment about them... Then my DH asked as I was cleaning up from breakfast, "When is that creepy couple checking out? The looks that guy keeps exchanging with his wife make my skin crawl!"
I was relieved, in a way, that it wasn't just me... but it also made me question how we open our home to people we really don't know... (just to add a bit ... they were a young couple- early 20's and very clean-cut, proper, preppy looking - she was all smiles and very well-spoken... and he was almost TOO handsome (think Ken doll / GQ model) but had this shifty, closet-serial killer air about him!!!)
Glad they are gone......

Joey Bloggs said:
We have spoken here before about different guest quirks. The wife who speaks on behalf of her husband, as you look directly at him she will answer and say "He will have..." or "He did this or that..." The Mommy syndrome.
Last night I checked guests in late and as I spoke to them both, looking at both during the conversation she would at times look over at him with this sideways glance. It made me hesitate as I spoke. It was the oddest thing. Was there some secret I was not privvy to? Was I saying something she had just said in the car and it was a "Told you so" glance? I do not know, but it was odd.
Just thought I would share this here. I have not encountered this one before. Year 8 in this biz and something new...
Were you wearing clothes when this happened? That might be a tip off.
smileystooges.gif

I've seen that before, usually from snooty people. Couple dynamics are hard to interpret....some of them are just freaks.

Back