The Fads Are Coming... The Fads Are Coming...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
For the last few days I have had the "fad diet" people telling me that they are coming. And yup, the fad is wheat-free. Not an allergy... just a fad. Okay, plain eggs instead of my delicious French Toast.
I HATE fad diets. They don't stick to them. And they ruin their vacation with them. I live in one of the greatest food cities anywhere and it's a fad diet that doesn't work here.... and a few months from now, the fad will be done, but the fact that they ruined their vacation over it... will be a regret they will have to live with for a long time.
Is it okay for me to bake some lovely danish tonight? Ugh! Schadenfreude time.... really!

Eric Arthur Blair said:
.... and a few months from now, the fad will be done, but the fact that they ruined their vacation over it... will be a regret they will have to live with for a long time.
Try to discreetly get that point across to them.
Reminds me of my visit to Cairo and my tour of the smaller of the 3 great pyramids at Giza. We went down into the burial chamber and the sarcophagus is still down there because it was too big for the grave robbers to get out the door of the room. The tour guide told us we could each climb in and lay a moment where the pharaoh was laid to rest.
The younger ones in our group all did it, but I said no thanks, thinking it was childish and unnecessary. The guide told me, "you'll regret not doing it the rest of your life."
AND I HAVE!!

No veggies. That's my note for breakfast tomorrow. Then we go along pretty well until we hit an actual celiac. (Not that I am actually going to hit the celiac!)
A request for pancakes coming up. A no lactose. But I think the faddists are mostly in the summer. At least here. So far. This month.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
.... and a few months from now, the fad will be done, but the fact that they ruined their vacation over it... will be a regret they will have to live with for a long time.
Try to discreetly get that point across to them.
Reminds me of my visit to Cairo and my tour of the smaller of the 3 great pyramids at Giza. We went down into the burial chamber and the sarcophagus is still down there because it was too big for the grave robbers to get out the door of the room. The tour guide told us we could each climb in and lay a moment where the pharaoh was laid to rest.
The younger ones in our group all did it, but I said no thanks, thinking it was childish and unnecessary. The guide told me, "you'll regret not doing it the rest of your life."
AND I HAVE!!.
That's the problem... people go all the way around the world and then get cheap and miss out on that one special thing forgetting that a flight, hotels and all have costs and they likely won't easily get back to do it again.

No veggies. That's my note for breakfast tomorrow. Then we go along pretty well until we hit an actual celiac. (Not that I am actually going to hit the celiac!)
A request for pancakes coming up. A no lactose. But I think the faddists are mostly in the summer. At least here. So far. This month..
When people says they are GF, I always ask if they are Celiac, because Celiacs are parts per billion of wheat. And if you bake, the wheat can stay in the air for up to two hours. So I either use preprepared foods that are kept way from their food to prevent cross contamination or I bake the night before, so that the wheat isn't in the air to contaminate their food.
Oh? You take requests? I don't. It's chef's choice, ever day! Of course, if you tie my hand behind my back by telling me your fad request, then you get what's available on the path of least resistance. Then again, I do want to try that new recipe for quiche that I found... you skip the pie crust and just use spaghetti squash. Don't know if it's tasty, but it is wheat free. :)

I've tried all sorts of diets in my life, but they all went on hold when on holiday.
Oooh I've had my 5gms of saturated fat for today, oh shut up!
As my friend Jeff says "Which dessert are you going to have first?".

A request for pancakes coming up. A no lactose. But I think the faddists are mostly in the summer. At least here. So far. This month..
When people says they are GF, I always ask if they are Celiac, because Celiacs are parts per billion of wheat. And if you bake, the wheat can stay in the air for up to two hours. So I either use preprepared foods that are kept way from their food to prevent cross contamination or I bake the night before, so that the wheat isn't in the air to contaminate their food.
Oh? You take requests? I don't. It's chef's choice, ever day! Of course, if you tie my hand behind my back by telling me your fad request, then you get what's available on the path of least resistance. Then again, I do want to try that new recipe for quiche that I found... you skip the pie crust and just use spaghetti squash. Don't know if it's tasty, but it is wheat free. :)
If someone asks far enough in advance and it's something we usually make anyway we'll plan it for the day they're in the house. We had a walk-in ask for blueberry pancakes last week and we were able to do that in the morning. She was delighted.
It helps that we no longer tell anyone what's for breakfast until we're getting ready to cook it.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Well, we're not that careful. We'll use different utensils and cookware but if everyone else is having pancakes, the pancake flour is right there. The celiac will get non-gluten pancakes cooked on a cleaned griddle but we don't remove all gluten products from the area.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Well, we're not that careful. We'll use different utensils and cookware but if everyone else is having pancakes, the pancake flour is right there. The celiac will get non-gluten pancakes cooked on a cleaned griddle but we don't remove all gluten products from the area.
It's very different for Celiacs than for normal GF. Some of them can be affected by traces of gluten. Because it's so difficult for them, I use commercial products, which are certified to be less than 0.0002% gluten (that's the standard in the US and Canada). But most people are just GF, thankfully. If someone is so intolerant, they will let you know.

I've tried all sorts of diets in my life, but they all went on hold when on holiday.
Oooh I've had my 5gms of saturated fat for today, oh shut up!
As my friend Jeff says "Which dessert are you going to have first?"..
Sounds as if Jeff is my soul mate!!
Per my Mother, my very wealthy great-grandfather (Gramps ran through it like water) said he wanted his dessert first because a lot could happen between the soup and the dessert. If he died during dinner, he wanted to have had his dessert.

Sorry you have "this on your plate" EA, people are being people unfortunately.
GF is a fad, has been a fad and will continue until the next one. How do I know this? There are some of you who have GF out the kazoo. I know that sounded weird, but it is true, areas closer to big cities where you are a destination B&B, so you have more "trendy" people stay with you.
Even I don't like eating too much bread/starch/carbs, but when I am traveling I pick what I want at restaurants, and at a B&B, it is what it is.

Sorry you have "this on your plate" EA, people are being people unfortunately.
GF is a fad, has been a fad and will continue until the next one. How do I know this? There are some of you who have GF out the kazoo. I know that sounded weird, but it is true, areas closer to big cities where you are a destination B&B, so you have more "trendy" people stay with you.
Even I don't like eating too much bread/starch/carbs, but when I am traveling I pick what I want at restaurants, and at a B&B, it is what it is..
I understand it. But hey, it's their loss too. Instead of something wonderful that I have planned, they get the plain and mundane that I make instead. And it's not going to be a choice. This week it's a wheat-free for one day, a dairy-free for two and then a wheat-free for three days. But I'm not going to remake my dish for them... the main dish for the regular and an omelet for the others.
Of course the other side of this is they likely stayed here because of those reviews that say such nice things about how inventive our menu of breakfast items are... except they nixed them, themselves.

proper Celiacs - bit of gluten - super fun symptoms are diareer for a week like a tap - this is not something I would wish on anyone.
Fussey gits are a pain! - DH and I are both on a diet to try and shift a few pounds but we arn't mental about it! went out for dinner the other night but opted not to have dessert - didnt ask for the chef to make something specially!

proper Celiacs - bit of gluten - super fun symptoms are diareer for a week like a tap - this is not something I would wish on anyone.
Fussey gits are a pain! - DH and I are both on a diet to try and shift a few pounds but we arn't mental about it! went out for dinner the other night but opted not to have dessert - didnt ask for the chef to make something specially!.
And what am I supposed to do with instructions like "we limit white wheat". So how the heck am I supposed to know what your limit is? So instead, it's just easier to make you GF and give you no wheat whatsoever and not worry about your silly limits and diet and whatnot. So that's what they are getting, the GF diet, while everyone else gets the normal.
People forget that they are on vacation. That they need to have fun, enjoy life. They just take life too seriously all the time. Maybe that is why they forever end up throwing away my physallis, they are afraid to try life.

Ugh! They went for crepes last night.... wheat-free my ___!

Fussey gits are a pain! - DH and I are both on a diet to try and shift a few pounds but we arn't mental about it! went out for dinner the other night but opted not to have dessert - didnt ask for the chef to make something specially!.
And what am I supposed to do with instructions like "we limit white wheat". So how the heck am I supposed to know what your limit is? So instead, it's just easier to make you GF and give you no wheat whatsoever and not worry about your silly limits and diet and whatnot. So that's what they are getting, the GF diet, while everyone else gets the normal.
People forget that they are on vacation. That they need to have fun, enjoy life. They just take life too seriously all the time. Maybe that is why they forever end up throwing away my physallis, they are afraid to try life.
Oh yes, the limiters. And what happens is they limit so much that when they finally cave it's for something completely over the top that makes them sick because they haven't eased into it!

I think DH is so pissy half the time because he really wants FOOD instead of the rabbit crap he usually eats. Poor fool wants to live forever. I just want to enjoy what time I have. Oh well, as long as he is able to paint, I will humor him (his paintings sell!). The results of Monday may change everything. We shall see.

Fussey gits are a pain! -
Oh, I just love the Brits! They can word a nasty remark so that it seems almost a compliment. LOVE them!!

I would definitely eat them since I like them and there's no way we get them here!
I don't eat a lot of bread and I'm only a fan of really good bread, but my dh likes his bread and doesn't care about the quality. People have different preferences...some are pretty strong. I guess some guests just want to let you know what these strong preferences are so you don't prepare something where they would leave the dish untouched.
I am finding that I'm increasingly lactose intolerant and I keep my mouth shut about it and suffer later. I think I need to change that. Luckily, my local coffee shop prepares great specialty drinks with soy milk and hands me the soy milk when I order drip coffee.
regular_smile.gif
I am a loyal customer.

I would definitely eat them since I like them and there's no way we get them here!
I don't eat a lot of bread and I'm only a fan of really good bread, but my dh likes his bread and doesn't care about the quality. People have different preferences...some are pretty strong. I guess some guests just want to let you know what these strong preferences are so you don't prepare something where they would leave the dish untouched.
I am finding that I'm increasingly lactose intolerant and I keep my mouth shut about it and suffer later. I think I need to change that. Luckily, my local coffee shop prepares great specialty drinks with soy milk and hands me the soy milk when I order drip coffee.
regular_smile.gif
I am a loyal customer.
Sounds like Jimmy's with DH - we keep a bottle of his balsamic vinegar at Jimmy's and they bring it out for him. Saves us binging it every week.

Back