The first coat

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
You wouldnt think it would take me 3 weeks before the first coat of paint went up on what was the ONLY project we had to do this Jan, but there you go.
I am waiting for my test patches to dry. Gomez decided yesterday he didn't like the green and brown combo so we decided on brown and amber. The test cards they sent home looked like a pumpkin patch. Not the look I was going for. So, I have the orange and brown on one section of wall and the brown and green on another. I'm thinking I might try brown and blue, too, but wondering if that is passe already.

i love painting! it's only passe if it feels that way to you ... but, since you are wondering, maybe that's not the look to go with.

i love painting! it's only passe if it feels that way to you ... but, since you are wondering, maybe that's not the look to go with..
I hate all the colors I put up. Just for this room, I will use them elsewhere and they'll be wonderful. This room wants to be green. So, that's it- green. As much as I want yellow, the room wants green. Next year, I'll paint the hall yellow.

i love painting! it's only passe if it feels that way to you ... but, since you are wondering, maybe that's not the look to go with..
I hate all the colors I put up. Just for this room, I will use them elsewhere and they'll be wonderful. This room wants to be green. So, that's it- green. As much as I want yellow, the room wants green. Next year, I'll paint the hall yellow.
Sounds like the room has spoken. Green it is.
I'm sure the two of you will work together to pick the perfect shade.

how can you tell the room wants to be green? just wondering
regular_smile.gif

Innkeeper To Go said:
This is how we work together...'I like this.' 'I don't.' 'We'll never pick a color like this, you decide.'

Innkeeper To Go said:
This is how we work together...'I like this.' 'I don't.' 'We'll never pick a color like this, you decide.'
Ah yes, I know that decision-making method well.

how can you tell the room wants to be green? just wondering
regular_smile.gif
No other color looks right. I dragged out 9 different color books and in each one there was a color circled and they all said 'living room.' No idea when I did that, but there it was!
Forgot to add...all variations of green.

Rooms do that, really they do. Our dining room is blue for that reason... well it was a blue gray and now it's a gray blue, but it just insists that that's its color.
Don't fight it...
=)
Kk.

OK, hit the painting hard today. Every wall has the first coat done, it's the painting around all the molding, the trim and the ceiling that's taking the time. More tomorrow.

OK, hit the painting hard today. Every wall has the first coat done, it's the painting around all the molding, the trim and the ceiling that's taking the time. More tomorrow..
Painter's rule of thumb: a window or door take 2 hours to paint, floorboards generally take about 30 minutes per segment.

OK, hit the painting hard today. Every wall has the first coat done, it's the painting around all the molding, the trim and the ceiling that's taking the time. More tomorrow..
Painter's rule of thumb: a window or door take 2 hours to paint, floorboards generally take about 30 minutes per segment.
Oh yeah, I had been painting for about an hour when Gomez wandered by and said he'd paint for 'about 30 minutes.' I was still painting along the trim on the same wall and I turned around and he had painted almost the whole rest of the room.
Yes, I am careful. I don't tape, I draw the lines around the molding! The ceiling is the hardest because I'm teetering on the edge of the ladder, painting over my head, and sometimes with the 'other' hand. Ambidexterous painting, it's a sight to see.

Oh yeah, I had been painting for about an hour when Gomez wandered by and said he'd paint for 'about 30 minutes.' I was still painting along the trim on the same wall and I turned around and he had painted almost the whole rest of the room.
Yes, I am careful. I don't tape, I draw the lines around the molding! The ceiling is the hardest because I'm teetering on the edge of the ladder, painting over my head, and sometimes with the 'other' hand. Ambidexterous painting, it's a sight to see.
Morticia said:
Post pix!
BTW, too late for this room but next time don't get on the ladder for the ceiling. Use a pole (any old mop pole will do) to hold the roller. Just walk from end to end until it's done.
I used to hate to paint ceilings until I learned to do it that way. Super easy with the pole.

This is where my height is a huge advantage! We have a little stop stool that is about 12 inches high, on that I can easily reach to do the cut-in work on the ceiling and top of the wall so no ladder needed.

This is where my height is a huge advantage! We have a little stop stool that is about 12 inches high, on that I can easily reach to do the cut-in work on the ceiling and top of the wall so no ladder needed.
Yes, we shorties are definitely on the lower end of the evolutionary scale when it comes to painting. A stool will usually get me all the way up to the top edge of a window. If the window's not too high, that is.

Morticia said:
Post pix!
BTW, too late for this room but next time don't get on the ladder for the ceiling. Use a pole (any old mop pole will do) to hold the roller. Just walk from end to end until it's done.
I used to hate to paint ceilings until I learned to do it that way. Super easy with the pole.
Sorry, I didn't paint the ceiling, Gomez did it just the way you said. It doesn't matter how the ceiling gets done as that's first, he can slop all over the walls.
I was doing the top of the wall, by the ceiling. Trying to draw a straight line, not get it on the ceiling (don't want to have to touch-up later on) but have it cover in one pass. I HATE looking up and seeing a 'line' where the paint wasn't quite enough to cover. And, as the ceiling paint is white, it's pretty obvious when the wall color is dark.
Pix tomorrow when I have a completed section.

Rupert said:
OK, you've either got low ceilings or you're 7' tall! Gomez can roll the paint almost to the ceiling, but no way could he stand on a step stool and paint the edge along the ceiling! I'm up 3 steps on the ladder and that's perfect. No head banging the ceiling, enough room to maneuver, but I'm still exercising my upper arm muscles.

Rupert said:
OK, you've either got low ceilings or you're 7' tall! Gomez can roll the paint almost to the ceiling, but no way could he stand on a step stool and paint the edge along the ceiling! I'm up 3 steps on the ladder and that's perfect. No head banging the ceiling, enough room to maneuver, but I'm still exercising my upper arm muscles.
We have 8 foot ceilings and I'm close to 6 feet! So with the added 12 inches from the step stool I'm good to go! I have a long wingspan too so that helps.

Rupert said:
We have 8 foot ceilings and I'm close to 6 feet! So with the added 12 inches from the step stool I'm good to go! I have a long wingspan too so that helps.
Well, then, you're definitely a LOT taller than I am! I'm doing around the chair rail today as it's pouring buckets and it's too dark to get up around the ceiling. I need the daylight to avoid the shadows that cause me to miss stuff. And my brush is drying out...so off I go...

Back