The Fixated Guest

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Do you ever feel that the more info you put out there (to help trip planning etc) the more those stalkers get all into you and your place?
I read a website yesterday that shared a little bit about the innkeepers, why they chose to do what they do, there was no photo and no names. I wondered why, then thought perhaps they had a fixated guest or something. I find I take info on and off the website and other places from time to time when people comment specifically about it. It kind of creeps me out. So I realize, uh, maybe tmi, get rid of some of it.
Have any of you have a fixated guest? Do they think they are your friend because you are nice and hospitable?

I've had guests make comments and I've said, 'Oh! How did you know that?' and they tell me they read it on my website! My daughter commented one day on something I wrote in the blog that she didn't know about me. My MOTHER did the same thing.
So, yeah, sometimes I might overshare.
I won't post pix of the grands (older than newborn). I don't mention any longer where the kids live (they've all moved since I started posting about them). I've cut way back on the sharing but not because I think guests might glom onto us but because it's all about them when they're here, not about me.
Most of our guests keep a guest-like distance but I think we come across like that in person. 'Hi, nice to see you, here's a pile of things to do, see ya later.' We don't hang around or hover or sit in the guest areas or even show ourselves unless we have to do something in the inn. I even feel guilty sitting on my own patio in case a guest might like to sit there but they don't want to talk to me.

Also, being for sale you come across some doozies. There are those who are spiritually led to your B&B..."I know it is the right place for me because I have always loved yellow roses and when I saw the yellow roses on your website I knew it was 'a sign'...and oh by the way we have no money, can we just lease it?"
That was NOT a fabrication above, I changed the flower from the real one in the email to roses, that was all.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

One gal felt led to purchase our place, but her husband is an invalid and cannot even walk from room to room, and oh by the way we have no money, but plan to sell our house, but we were laid off so the bank has taken it back, can we lease to own?
!!!

Also, being for sale you come across some doozies. There are those who are spiritually led to your B&B..."I know it is the right place for me because I have always loved yellow roses and when I saw the yellow roses on your website I knew it was 'a sign'...and oh by the way we have no money, can we just lease it?"
That was NOT a fabrication above, I changed the flower from the real one in the email to roses, that was all.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

One gal felt led to purchase our place, but her husband is an invalid and cannot even walk from room to room, and oh by the way we have no money, but plan to sell our house, but we were laid off so the bank has taken it back, can we lease to own?
!!!.
Do you mean to say (gasp!) that innkeepers are NOT a charity? You are not willing to give up all your security and investment and future for YOUR daughters to benefit these poor moneyless strangers?

Back