The good, the bad and the ugly from 2016

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
This is more of a catch all post on what worked well, what drastically needs changing or revising, and what we won't be doing again. Or anything that fits in there somehow.
NO SHOWS
I am looking back and saw we only had two no-shows in 2016, which is excellent. One showed the next day - long story about that, the other never showed, ne'r a peep out of them. So while inconvenienced, waiting up all night as you do, we weren't out the room rate.
STILL NOT TAKING DEPOSITS
This is without taking deposits. I know, can you believe we aren't taking them? I would if I were on an OTA. I would charge in full if I were on an OTA.
BEING MORE PERSONABLE
I am still focused on the good night kiss, and the warm welcome. I decided that I will smile more in 2017. I know how it makes you feel when someone smiles at you so that is just on a personal note, I want to. But, I may draw back the reigns a bit and not give as much of myself. Hard to explain, but if you do this you know what I mean. I guess it is more acting in the hospitality role vs really giving personally, which is okay. (We are nearly through with our 13th year)
heart.gif

ODDITIES and ONE OFF's
I am trying to think of any oddities that made a knee-jerk reaction from us as I run some reports. I don't want one situation to dictate how I operate, or how we operate the biz. I did have one happen, and it was bad, and it was resolved with kindness and understanding, much to my chagrin.
How about you? What's cookin' good lookin'?

Most of our "stuff" moving from 2016 into 2017 is in the "back office," so to speak:
We've always pushed cash or check payments rather than cards (because of the fees) -- but in 2015 more and more people were using their card, so for 2016 we raised our rates by 3.3% but offered a 3% discount for cash or check payments (thus effectively offering 2015 rates for cash payment). We take a deposit (25% of the rent) to confirm a reservation, with the balance due upon arrival, most would pay the downpayment by check but some by card; then on arrival some of those who paid the deposit by check would pay their balance by card, and vice-versa. Obviously this becomes a bookkeeping nightmare (including trying to figure out the lodging tax!) So for 2017, we are keeping the rates the same, but only offering the cash payment discount to returning guests who confirm their summer reservation by December 1, 2016 (with the expectation that they pay both the downpayment and balance by cash or check). All reservations from now forward will be paying the full 2017 rate regardless of payment type. We'll still express our preference for cash or check payments, but won't feel quite so put out anymore when somebody decides to pay their bill by card (since we've now incorporated the transaction fee into the rate). BTW, we are in one of the states where we are not allowed to charge a credit card surcharge.
For weddings, we used to offer a monthly payment plan, where we'ld essentially take the total due and divide by the number of months until the event (with the final balance due by one month prior to the event). But keeping up with creating monthly statements and sending the out to the wedding couples, all on a different schedule (payment date tied to date of the wedding), became too much of a chore. And some of wedding couples got tired of having to write a check every month and would just pay off their balance early. We now propose a 25% downpayment with the balance due one month prior to the event, as the default payment schedule. If the couple balks at that, we can talk about alternative payment schedules.
Also for weddings, we used to offer that the wedding couple could reserve and pay for all the cottages themselves, or that they could have us hold them for their guests to make their own reservations directly with us, for a slightly larger security deposit as a guarantee that all of the required cottages would be rented. But dealing with all of the guests individually is a headache, so now we are pushing for the wedding couple to reserve and pay for everything as part of their contract, and we offer a better rate to them if they take on the task of doling out the cottages to their guests. We will still let them just hold the cottages for their guests to reserve directly, but we will charge them (and the wedding guests) the full rate.
We are finding that we need to remind guests who bring dogs what our rules and expectations are.
We are also finding that with multi-cottage groups (e.g. multi-generation family reunions), we only communicate with the person who made the reservation and paid the bill, and that some of the critical information doesn't always get disseminated to the other cottages in the group, so we are now trying to make a specific request that they ensure that everyone in the group is aware of the issues (like check out time, for example).
We have a couple of rowboats that are available for guests to use, but we also have a lot of other private boats on our dock that are NOT for guests to use. Figuring out how to steer guests away from the private boats and toward the boats that they can use is one of our perpetual challenges. That, along with making sure that everyone in the boat has a lifejacket with them, and that they properly stow the oars and oarlocks when returning the boat. We solved the problem of people not knowing how to tie up (a clove hitch? what's that?) the boats but outfittng them with a snap hook on the end of the painter, and at least that seems to be working....
Not sure if this is all in the same vein as what you were thinking of in the opening post, but it's where we're at right now (5 years in).

What worked: menu planning 7 days out. (A friend told me I should do one menu, period. Serve the same thing the same day of the week every week. Thinking about that one.)
Once yearly updates of something. Guests ask every year, "what's new?!" and they're very excited.
Every year I swear I'm going to remember the guest's name while the guest is in residence. Too many times we don't even get 'the other guest's' name.
I also commit myself to doing a little blurb on the room as we're walking to it. Another thing that falls by the wayside.
No more asking for reviews. I'm out of the business of marketing for TA.
I was crying in the dining room with a guest just now as we talked about clearing out the ol' homestead so I guess I'm not going to even try putting less of myself out there. (But I totally get that sentiment. There's a fine line between being authentic and overwhelming your guests. Ex - we've had guests stay with us who stopped going to a place they'd gone for years because the owners had created a memorial to their deceased daughter and the guests were very uncomfortable constantly being reminded every stay.)

Most of our "stuff" moving from 2016 into 2017 is in the "back office," so to speak:
We've always pushed cash or check payments rather than cards (because of the fees) -- but in 2015 more and more people were using their card, so for 2016 we raised our rates by 3.3% but offered a 3% discount for cash or check payments (thus effectively offering 2015 rates for cash payment). We take a deposit (25% of the rent) to confirm a reservation, with the balance due upon arrival, most would pay the downpayment by check but some by card; then on arrival some of those who paid the deposit by check would pay their balance by card, and vice-versa. Obviously this becomes a bookkeeping nightmare (including trying to figure out the lodging tax!) So for 2017, we are keeping the rates the same, but only offering the cash payment discount to returning guests who confirm their summer reservation by December 1, 2016 (with the expectation that they pay both the downpayment and balance by cash or check). All reservations from now forward will be paying the full 2017 rate regardless of payment type. We'll still express our preference for cash or check payments, but won't feel quite so put out anymore when somebody decides to pay their bill by card (since we've now incorporated the transaction fee into the rate). BTW, we are in one of the states where we are not allowed to charge a credit card surcharge.
For weddings, we used to offer a monthly payment plan, where we'ld essentially take the total due and divide by the number of months until the event (with the final balance due by one month prior to the event). But keeping up with creating monthly statements and sending the out to the wedding couples, all on a different schedule (payment date tied to date of the wedding), became too much of a chore. And some of wedding couples got tired of having to write a check every month and would just pay off their balance early. We now propose a 25% downpayment with the balance due one month prior to the event, as the default payment schedule. If the couple balks at that, we can talk about alternative payment schedules.
Also for weddings, we used to offer that the wedding couple could reserve and pay for all the cottages themselves, or that they could have us hold them for their guests to make their own reservations directly with us, for a slightly larger security deposit as a guarantee that all of the required cottages would be rented. But dealing with all of the guests individually is a headache, so now we are pushing for the wedding couple to reserve and pay for everything as part of their contract, and we offer a better rate to them if they take on the task of doling out the cottages to their guests. We will still let them just hold the cottages for their guests to reserve directly, but we will charge them (and the wedding guests) the full rate.
We are finding that we need to remind guests who bring dogs what our rules and expectations are.
We are also finding that with multi-cottage groups (e.g. multi-generation family reunions), we only communicate with the person who made the reservation and paid the bill, and that some of the critical information doesn't always get disseminated to the other cottages in the group, so we are now trying to make a specific request that they ensure that everyone in the group is aware of the issues (like check out time, for example).
We have a couple of rowboats that are available for guests to use, but we also have a lot of other private boats on our dock that are NOT for guests to use. Figuring out how to steer guests away from the private boats and toward the boats that they can use is one of our perpetual challenges. That, along with making sure that everyone in the boat has a lifejacket with them, and that they properly stow the oars and oarlocks when returning the boat. We solved the problem of people not knowing how to tie up (a clove hitch? what's that?) the boats but outfittng them with a snap hook on the end of the painter, and at least that seems to be working....
Not sure if this is all in the same vein as what you were thinking of in the opening post, but it's where we're at right now (5 years in)..
with the multi generational group I would be "i need a contact email for every cottage" and then a read receipt email sent to each.

BEING MORE PERSONABLE
I am still focused on the good night kiss, and the warm welcome. I decided that I will smile more in 2017.
This made me think of what they advise if you're ever kidnapped. They say make sure the kidnapper knows your name, and perhaps a little about you, because they're less likely to kill you if are are more familiar to them. Likewise, maybe they'll be nicer, in person and on TA, if they get to know and like you more.
On topic, one thing that is working for me is Yield Management in ReservationKey. Nobody has said a word, and things are booking up just fine, now that I have it up the room rate $10 if it's the last room I have available for that night. Supply and demand. Only one room left means it will cost you more.
Another thing that's working for me are the air mattresses I bought, so I can add a 3rd or even 4th person in the suite if they don't mind sleeping at floor level. The air mattresses are very comfortable and I'm feeling sure the people who are paying to use them (families with children) wouldn't pay for a 2nd room, but will pay a little extra to get the kids in the room with them. I got a double air mattress for the suites with enough floor space to hold them, and a couple of single air mattresses for the smallest suite that doesn't have room for a double.
I pump them up (bought a cheap electric forced air pump) and make the bed up in advance, then leave them a manual "bicycle pump" then can use if they want to add more air to make it firmer, or if they want to let the air out in the daytime, to have more floor space in the room, then pump it back up at night.

What worked: menu planning 7 days out. (A friend told me I should do one menu, period. Serve the same thing the same day of the week every week. Thinking about that one.)
Once yearly updates of something. Guests ask every year, "what's new?!" and they're very excited.
Every year I swear I'm going to remember the guest's name while the guest is in residence. Too many times we don't even get 'the other guest's' name.
I also commit myself to doing a little blurb on the room as we're walking to it. Another thing that falls by the wayside.
I was crying in the dining room with a guest just now as we talked about clearing out the ol' homestead so I guess I'm not going to even try putting less of myself out there. (But I totally get that sentiment. There's a fine line between being authentic and overwhelming your guests. Ex - we've had guests stay with us who stopped going to a place they'd gone for years because the owners had created a memorial to their deceased daughter and the guests were very uncomfortable constantly being reminded every stay.).
Morticia said:
I was crying in the dining room with a guest just now as we talked about clearing out the ol' homestead so I guess I'm not going to even try putting less of myself out there. (But I totally get that sentiment. There's a fine line between being authentic and overwhelming your guests. Ex - we've had guests stay with us who stopped going to a place they'd gone for years because the owners had created a memorial to their deceased daughter and the guests were very uncomfortable constantly being reminded every stay.)
A super list!
I read each one carefully.
The putting myself out there is not so much being chatty, or TMI, but just not giving them what they shouldn't have. You know how I have been prone to say "You rented a room, not the innkeeper", well along those lines. People have from day 1 asked very personal questions and sometimes I answer and kick myself later, none of their ruddy business!
I certainly don't ask them these questions. But on the other hand some give us way more info than we should know, ug.

Not sure if this is all in the same vein as what you were thinking of in the opening post, but it's where we're at right now (5 years in)..
What a great amenity the row boats must be. And I bet streamlining the wedding process is always in order.I love seeing your wedding photos on FB, btw.

BEING MORE PERSONABLE
I am still focused on the good night kiss, and the warm welcome. I decided that I will smile more in 2017.
This made me think of what they advise if you're ever kidnapped. They say make sure the kidnapper knows your name, and perhaps a little about you, because they're less likely to kill you if are are more familiar to them. Likewise, maybe they'll be nicer, in person and on TA, if they get to know and like you more.
On topic, one thing that is working for me is Yield Management in ReservationKey. Nobody has said a word, and things are booking up just fine, now that I have it up the room rate $10 if it's the last room I have available for that night. Supply and demand. Only one room left means it will cost you more.
Another thing that's working for me are the air mattresses I bought, so I can add a 3rd or even 4th person in the suite if they don't mind sleeping at floor level. The air mattresses are very comfortable and I'm feeling sure the people who are paying to use them (families with children) wouldn't pay for a 2nd room, but will pay a little extra to get the kids in the room with them. I got a double air mattress for the suites with enough floor space to hold them, and a couple of single air mattresses for the smallest suite that doesn't have room for a double.
I pump them up (bought a cheap electric forced air pump) and make the bed up in advance, then leave them a manual "bicycle pump" then can use if they want to add more air to make it firmer, or if they want to let the air out in the daytime, to have more floor space in the room, then pump it back up at night..
Arks said:
BEING MORE PERSONABLE
I pump them up (bought a cheap electric forced air pump) and make the bed up in advance, then leave them a manual "bicycle pump" then can use if they want to add more air to make it firmer, or if they want to let the air out in the daytime, to have more floor space in the room, then pump it back up at night.
I love that yield management thing and you are so brave to do it. Way to go.
thumbs_up.gif

and gee thanks, in case any of them are murderers, I better be nice.

I was crying in the dining room with a guest just now as we talked about clearing out the ol' homestead so I guess I'm not going to even try putting less of myself out there. (But I totally get that sentiment. There's a fine line between being authentic and overwhelming your guests. Ex - we've had guests stay with us who stopped going to a place they'd gone for years because the owners had created a memorial to their deceased daughter and the guests were very uncomfortable constantly being reminded every stay.).
Morticia said:
A super list!
The putting myself out there is not so much being chatty, or TMI, but just not giving them what they shouldn't have. You know how I have been prone to say "You rented a room, not the innkeeper", well along those lines. People have from day 1 asked very personal questions and sometimes I answer and kick myself later, none of their ruddy business!
I certainly don't ask them these questions. But on the other hand some give us way more info than we should know, ug.
I, too, have kicked myself after the fact for speaking first and thinking later. Arrrrrgh! Why did I say that??? What was I thinking???
Today we had a new breakfast entrée. I always put 3 separate things on the plate. Entrée, meat, fruit or toast. Gomez had 4 things lined up today and all i kept hearing in my head was you saying how 4 things makes it look like you're counting them out. ;-) Which really has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Just that things we learn here stick.

BEING MORE PERSONABLE
I pump them up (bought a cheap electric forced air pump) and make the bed up in advance, then leave them a manual "bicycle pump" then can use if they want to add more air to make it firmer, or if they want to let the air out in the daytime, to have more floor space in the room, then pump it back up at night..
Arks said:
BEING MORE PERSONABLE
I love that yield management thing and you are so brave to do it. Way to go.
thumbs_up.gif

and gee thanks, in case any of them are murderers, I better be nice.
JBloggs said:
...in case any of them are murderers, I better be nice.
Ya never know!

with the multi generational group I would be "i need a contact email for every cottage" and then a read receipt email sent to each.
Excellent Idea!

The good…. Wonderful guests that love you and the place. Mr. Tool Guy and his crew showing up with their tools and equipment ready to tackle "our jobs". Just found a note from him on the list titled, "Ten Things to do in town on a Rainy day." So he wrote, "11) Challenge Duff to a game of chess. Expect to lose!"
Learning that photos of the place, guests having fun, and us at work travels farther, get more likes, bring in more reservations than sharing events going on in town. Know your guests and what they want to see. Check over the stats...
The bad…. Our matching portraits, that one walked off on us over St. Patricks Day. Tighter security in the foyer.
The Ugly… We had the pool painted by a crew this spring. When we drained some of it for winterizing we found out the new paint job had disappeared over the summer.

The good…. Wonderful guests that love you and the place. Mr. Tool Guy and his crew showing up with their tools and equipment ready to tackle "our jobs". Just found a note from him on the list titled, "Ten Things to do in town on a Rainy day." So he wrote, "11) Challenge Duff to a game of chess. Expect to lose!"
Learning that photos of the place, guests having fun, and us at work travels farther, get more likes, bring in more reservations than sharing events going on in town. Know your guests and what they want to see. Check over the stats...
The bad…. Our matching portraits, that one walked off on us over St. Patricks Day. Tighter security in the foyer.
The Ugly… We had the pool painted by a crew this spring. When we drained some of it for winterizing we found out the new paint job had disappeared over the summer..
water-soluble paint for a pool, nice!

Morticia said:
A super list!
the trick to it is to think about a clever answer ready for the next time - which brushes it off or gives an appropriate answer. I just keep saying they don't mean to be rude they just have no filter between mouth and brain!

Morticia said:
A super list!
the trick to it is to think about a clever answer ready for the next time - which brushes it off or gives an appropriate answer. I just keep saying they don't mean to be rude they just have no filter between mouth and brain!
Jcam said:
True dat.
I have those up my sleeve. I don't always use them.

Back