The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread? U Socket Ports

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have contacted the Company with a few ideas as well as asking about bulk buying these. Will report back when I hear from them. An inngenious idea - we have old house and have extension cords in all the rooms PLUS a lack of outlets, so this is perfect! http://fastmac.com/usocket
Compatibility: iPod, iPhone, iPad, Blackberry, Nintendo, PSP, Bluetooth Headsets, Digital Cameras, GPS & more!
Born in the USA[/h2]A quality product made right here in the USA ensures that your U-Socket is constructed with care and precision. Our workers test each and every U-Socket to the highest standards before they are shipped out.
15 Amp, 125 Volt NEMA compliant 5-15R, 2 Pole, 3 wire duplex receptacle with 2 Built-in 5V USB ports @ 1500mA (total); straight blade design with built-in grounding and smooth/ flush faceplate; Quickwire push-in and side wiring with polarity mismatch warning light. 1 year limited warranty.

Cool idea. HOpe this is theirs patent, claim to fame and on the road to millionaires.

So how does it work? You still need to plug 'something' into it. What would that 'something' be? I guess what I'm asking is- if the guest left their charger at the previous place, they still need to have something to plug into the USB port on this outlet. Would we then be providing that 'something' as well?
It lloks like a good idea, I just want to know how it works.

So how does it work? You still need to plug 'something' into it. What would that 'something' be? I guess what I'm asking is- if the guest left their charger at the previous place, they still need to have something to plug into the USB port on this outlet. Would we then be providing that 'something' as well?
It lloks like a good idea, I just want to know how it works..
Nothing else needed. If it's a USB charger of any kind, it will work.
Saves the energy use of those transformers, saves collecting those transformers left behind, eliminates excessive cords dangling from those transformers.
It is the plug, just like the electrical outlet. If it fits (ie, is a USB), it works.

Saves the energy use of those transformers, saves collecting those transformers left behind, eliminates excessive cords dangling from those transformers.
It is the plug, just like the electrical outlet. If it fits (ie, is a USB), it works.
You still -- except for a few specific devices -- need a cable or cord to connect the USB outlet to the device. No different than carrying a transformer, except smaller maybe. Most of my devices use non-interchangeable cords, so I have to pack multiple cords.
This kind of plug does mean that I can charge things (such as an iPod) without turning on my computer, if that is how I normally charge them, but again a cable is generally needed.
My wife's portable wifi hotspot could be charged with this, but since that is used while using the computer, it's easier to just charge it while the computer is on so it is not forgotten when it's time to go.

You still -- except for a few specific devices -- need a cable or cord to connect the USB outlet to the device. No different than carrying a transformer, except smaller maybe. Most of my devices use non-interchangeable cords, so I have to pack multiple cords.
This kind of plug does mean that I can charge things (such as an iPod) without turning on my computer, if that is how I normally charge them, but again a cable is generally needed.
My wife's portable wifi hotspot could be charged with this, but since that is used while using the computer, it's easier to just charge it while the computer is on so it is not forgotten when it's time to go.
Well, yes, of course your iPod or whatever will have a cable to connect it.
But you eliminate the unnecessary cord/cable that the transformer (which literally sucks power) has.
And, yes, of course, guests are still going to travel with all of their stuff. They won't know inns have this.
But loyal guests who find out will know for their next visit. Or they'll save themselves some unpacking and untangling.
The best reasons for an innkeeper to install these are the energy savings, the improved safety, and guest convenience.
Give me any one of those reasons and that's worth $25. Give me all three and it's a no-brainer.

But you eliminate the unnecessary cord/cable that the transformer (which literally sucks power) has.
And, yes, of course, guests are still going to travel with all of their stuff. They won't know inns have this.
But loyal guests who find out will know for their next visit. Or they'll save themselves some unpacking and untangling.
The best reasons for an innkeeper to install these are the energy savings, the improved safety, and guest convenience.
Give me any one of those reasons and that's worth $25. Give me all three and it's a no-brainer.
But how much will it cost for the electrician to install them?
I do not play with electrical stuff - it does not save enough to make a burned down house an option.

I guess my question would be easy for me to answer if I owned a piece of equipment that I could plug into the USB slot in the outlet. I don't own anything that would plug in there, so I don't know how to use it or what would go in there.
I'm guessing I am not the only one. Of course someone who owns something that fits in there would immediately recognize what to do with the extra slot.

I just saw saw them marked down to $19.95 http://store.fastmac.com/product_info.php?products_id=458
and, they are not available until the final safety approval, so ship in October. Bummer.
[FONT= 'Lucida Grande']Installation:
This item can be installed on any existing wall outlet.
We will have an installation video available shortly so that you can see exactly what is involved and if this is something you feel comfortable doing on your own or if you will need assistance.
Please also note that the USB ports only draw power when something is physically connected to the port. We didn't want a vampire port that continually sucks and wastes power when not in use so this was one of the features on the top of our priority list during the design phase.
If you have any questions about this specific product please contact mlowdermilk at fastmac.com.[/FONT]

nice idea.......though it only deals with USB chargeable items......and as mentioned.......a USB cable is needed and that to can be left behind....just like the charger with transformer....
Not all chargeable items are universal.........not all charge at the same wattage or amperage.........thus the individual charger per unit.
Still.....nice idea. But only for a select # of items

This device would still have a "switching power supply" to step the voltage down to USB line levels which is what my iPod charger does. So these would draw the same, the only difference is they would be plugged in all the time. I question the claim from the manufacturer. I am a bit skeptical of any initial product claims from companies that release product sales pitches before the device is even available.
Improved safety? from decreased clutter perhaps?
I went to order one because I do have a use for it.... and the physics teacher in me wanted to test the claim of "no power draw" until USB device is plugged in... but it is not available for purchase yet. :(
I like the idea in general, but the clutter aspect really is not solved.for me. I have an ipod with a wall charger that has the usb port on it. So I would still need the same cord with this outlet. Just not the little plug part (which is pretty small... the cord actually takes up more room). Would I travel without the plug?.. no, as the wall plug part is also my car charger, so I would need it either way. What this would save me though is having one of the standard outlets occupied by the charger, so I see a benefit there.
I do like that this would help cement the USB connection as more of a standard for charging. That would be a boost.

This device would still have a "switching power supply" to step the voltage down to USB line levels which is what my iPod charger does. So these would draw the same, the only difference is they would be plugged in all the time. I question the claim from the manufacturer. I am a bit skeptical of any initial product claims from companies that release product sales pitches before the device is even available.
I went to order one because I do have a use for it.... and the physics teacher in me wanted to test the claim of "no power draw" until USB device is plugged in... but it is not available for purchase yet. :(
I like the idea in general, but the clutter aspect really is not solved.for me. I have an ipod with a wall charger that has the usb port on it. So I would still need the same cord with this outlet. Just not the little plug part (which is pretty small... the cord actually takes up more room). Would I travel without the plug?.. no, as the wall plug part is also my car charger, so I would need it either way. What this would save me though is having one of the standard outlets occupied by the charger, so I see a benefit there.
I do like that this would help cement the USB connection as more of a standard for charging. That would be a boost.
When I looked at it I could not see the current benefit of installing them but maybe it is an invention before it's time? Maybe once fully approved for sale, we will gradulally see many more devices being sold with a USB power adaptor.
Then to me the 2 big benefits would be the reduction of the power sucking transmitters on some cords - saving us a few dollars and the fact that more things can be plugged in in any one outlet. I think cords would still be something left behind but less bulky to ship back - or maybe
lightbulb.gif
someone would make a universal type ending for devises so they are not all unique.

When I looked at it I could not see the current benefit of installing them but maybe it is an invention before it's time? Maybe once fully approved for sale, we will gradulally see many more devices being sold with a USB power adaptor.
Then to me the 2 big benefits would be the reduction of the power sucking transmitters on some cords - saving us a few dollars and the fact that more things can be plugged in in any one outlet. I think cords would still be something left behind but less bulky to ship back - or maybe
lightbulb.gif
someone would make a universal type ending for devises so they are not all unique.
maybe
lightbulb.gif

More money to be made if each is unique. Every time I up-grade to a new phone "free" they get to sell another car charging cord for $30.

i like it that people are thinking in this direction. even if this particular product isn't quite there yet

It's like the rechargeable batteries saga, orig devices that drained the life out of batteries so quickly and now are so much better, but still not "there" yet. Technology is surging ahead, so I am hopeful!

It's like the rechargeable batteries saga, orig devices that drained the life out of batteries so quickly and now are so much better, but still not "there" yet. Technology is surging ahead, so I am hopeful!.
Joey Bloggs said:
It's like the rechargeable batteries saga, orig devices that drained the life out of batteries so quickly and now are so much better, but still not "there" yet. Technology is surging ahead, so I am hopeful!
I'm hopeful, too.
I also don't see the need for this one item to be something for everyone. Who will like it? iPod/iPhone users, digital camera users, blackberry users.
In short, if you're looking to attract a younger clientele (who are not only much more technologically-connected but also spend a lot more in travel dollars), then these are a very smart item to install.
If you're not, and you're happy with both your existing demographics and existing occupancy levels, then I agree with those who wouldn't bother with them.
Like everything else, it just depends on what you want and who you want to attract to your inn.
Me? I'll be ordering them as soon as they become available.

It's like the rechargeable batteries saga, orig devices that drained the life out of batteries so quickly and now are so much better, but still not "there" yet. Technology is surging ahead, so I am hopeful!.
Joey Bloggs said:
I'm hopeful, too.
I also don't see the need for this one item to be something for everyone. Who will like it? iPod/iPhone users, digital camera users, blackberry users.
In short, if you're looking to attract a younger clientele (who are not only much more technologically-connected but also spend a lot more in travel dollars), then these are a very smart item to install.
If you're not, and you're happy with both your existing demographics and existing occupancy levels, then I agree with those who wouldn't bother with them.
Like everything else, it just depends on what you want and who you want to attract to your inn.
O admit to being an old fogey, but I also plan to order them. I will be paying an electrician for an hour of work so I may as well get those installed upstairs AND down (for my stuff) and get my Library chandelier rewired at the same time. That ought to cover the hour - or two.

Joey Bloggs said:
I'm hopeful, too.
O admit to being an old fogey, but I also plan to order them. I will be paying an electrician for an hour of work so I may as well get those installed upstairs AND down (for my stuff) and get my Library chandelier rewired at the same time. That ought to cover the hour - or two.
gillumhouse said:
An hour or two ought to be enough for an electrician to take care of that.
I'm going to install my u socket ports myself. I'm expecting it to take 5 or 10 minutes each. About the time it would take to install a dimmer.

Back