The Guests from Hell

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"especially when you are being paid to do so."
At last check, these folks have threatened NOT to pay. That's one of the major cruxes of the issue.
They tried a last minute cancellation with what looks like a bogus reason, found out they'd have financial consequences, ran a tagteam of insults, threats, etc. and abused the living crap out of mountaininnkeeper for several hours and if this was to happen to any of us, we should "kill 'em with kindness"?
I enjoy our exchanges so much and really do have a lot of respect for you so I'm going to take a step back, bow out of any more responses to you on this topic and go have a smoke.

Little Blue said:
Jeez Tim, take a breath and unclench, willya?
shades_smile.gif
Are you saying that being nice in this situation is the wrong way to go? I don't think being nice is ever the wrong way to go.......especially when you are being paid to do so. Some of you may think differently, but excuse me for giving people the benefit of the doubt until they actually arrive and are given the chance to have a nice time.
Oooh I am waiting for when you get your first one that comes in ready for a fight....and trashes your room...and then pulls a chargeback.....
Riki.
Oooohhh...been there, done that in my former hotel life. I'm no newbie, I'm going into my seventh summer here at the Inn and had 18 years before that in the hotel business and LIVING at that hotel. I simply stated that I would be nice and give the people the benefit of the doubt, at least until they arrive.
I have no doubt that most Innkeepers on this forum are sweet and wonderful people; it's easy to tell by their posts and in the way they talk about their guests.

I'm totally relaxed and having a wonderful day. Just chit chattin' with ya' all.
My opinions and internal policies on showing flexibility, patience and empathy with our guests can stand up to anyone's scrutiny, but we have our limits here.
Rewarding this kind of egregious rudeness and hostility does not fall under my definition of hospitaility. Its a give and take thing and a guest like this has to give a little in order to receive some back.
They didn't give it and frankly, one night's revenue under these circumstances isn't worth it and if it was us, wouldn't have been worth it after even the first hour of phone calls back and forth on the diplomacy front.
Way too many red flags to try and work around..
Ok

Little Blue said:
Jeez Tim, take a breath and unclench, willya?
shades_smile.gif
Are you saying that being nice in this situation is the wrong way to go? I don't think being nice is ever the wrong way to go.......especially when you are being paid to do so. Some of you may think differently, but excuse me for giving people the benefit of the doubt until they actually arrive and are given the chance to have a nice time.
You certainly have a wealth of generosity. Given these guests practically jumped thru the phone and throttled the innkeeper, all THREE of them mind you, I'd say they have already shown they are rude and belligerent. There's no benefit of the doubt to be given here. That went out with the lies (about the sickness, altho maybe we could just chalk that up to a 'polite mistruth'); the threats (you've already said you don't get guests like this so you really don't know what it's like to be screamed at and sworn at on the phone by an irate guest) and then the swearing and implied threats from the father.
You could be the world's best innkeeper but it doesn't sound like you've really had any trials by fire.
Tim has had those guests, I've had those guests, some of the sweetest people on here have had those guests. We're offering an opinion to Farmer's Daughter from a wealth of experience. And I don't think anyone implied they should be treated less than any other guest..
In my two decades in this business, I've had plenty of irate guests, and threats and swearing. My trials by fire came before I opened my own Inn six years ago. Believe me, I appreciate the guests I get now all the more as a consequence of those experiences.
All I did was say that I would be nice and give them the benefit of the doubt. They could end up having a nice time and being great guests...just focus on the positive and not the negative...that's all I said. Sorry if anyone took it any other way than that or disagrees with the premise. Am I too laid back? Maybe...probably...

Personally, I would have accepted the cancellation and left it at that. After being abused on the phone, the right to refuse service would apply and that would be the end of it. If they were really as irate as you say, they would not be welcome here. But that's just me...
Stick by your policies and make sure they are clear on all documentation and website...
We had a guest show up with a pet (No pets here) and when we refused them, the guy cursed DH out (literally turned like jekyll & hyde) and screamed that "WAS staying here!" That's when DH politely told him he needed to leave, for now he was tresspassing...
When guests will get like that over the phone, I don't want them here in person. Take your bad vibes somewhere else!
Remember it's your home, you have a right to refuse service, and you have a right to be treated respectfully.

Actually, I think Farmer's Daughter is in between a rock and a hard spot. I got the impression from an earlier post on this forum that she is not the owner, and was given the directive to accept the guest and deal with it, so in terms of her sanity and her job, I don't think she has the choice to refuse them. That's what drove me to offer the advice that I did.
And yes, I agree... whether you are the owner or staff, you don't need to deal with someone who is rude and personally abusive after arrival. That's way over the line.

wow!
deep breath .... are they checking in tomorrow or tonite? now that you've vented (and 'heard' all kinds of advice) i suggest you do your best to treat them as you would any guest checking in ... have them sign the register, give them the tour, give the complimentary whatever for an anniversary that is standard ... they are still your guests for the nite.
i would not bring up any of the phone discussion at all. if they do, then you agree with them that you have a firm cancellation policy and are sorry that rescheduling under your guidelines was not an option. and that you hope they enjoy their stay.
if it feels right to you, then upgrade them. go with whatever your instincts tell you. if you want to give them the deluxe treatment just to show how awesome your place is ~ then by all means do it. as long as it is your choice.
it's just one nite. maybe they will be quiet after all the ruckus.
please consider that someone still not feeling well who comes to you under duress because of two other people involved in the situation (wife and daughter) may still be not feeling well. by the way, the husband who wasn't feeling well ~ is he the one who swore at you?
that right there is unacceptable and abusive. and i think i would have terminated the conversation.
likely the gift was mentioned and he said 'but i'm not feeling up to it ~ don't want to go ~ can't we cancel or reschedule?' and all hell broke loose. daughter frustrated because this lovely gift she planned is spoiled by dad not feeling well. mother frustrated because you have a policy in place. daughter jumping back in and heaping on the mad
do your best when they arrive to zero in on the one you might be able to please and interact with that one the most you can. someone chose your place for a reason and it's still the same wonderful place.
good luck. whatever our opinions on what you should do, they are all our own opinions based on our own experiences and personalities.
just remember, we are still all behind you in principle ~ that is what this forum is for!
and, yes, ((hugs))
let us know what happens ~ i am wondering now if they will show.

I think any situation could be made into a positive...if you're up to the task..
Little Blue said:
I think any situation could be made into a positive...if you're up to the task.
I have already decided to upgrade them from the room that the daughter chose to a luxury suite with a jacuzzi. With this they will get a complimentary bottle of wine and a 3 course gourmet breakfast by candlelight served on fine china and crystal in our formal dining room the next morning. That is quite a deal for a $155 room (less taxes). I hope this doesn't turn around to bite me in the butt. I think they have already decided to have a lousy time, because they are 'forced to be here against their will.'
I am sorry, but I would NOT upgrade them. That is a blackmail pay-off. They are not going to like you no matter what you do. Give them the upgrade (and they will KNOW it was an upgrade) and they will now go home and tell everyone how to get a fancy upgrade. "Just complain and threaten and you will get wahtever you want." They are hearing the sound bite reports on the radio and TV about how to get the most for the least.
People who go some place with an I will not have a good time attitude do not have a good time - no matter what!
Just be yourself and smile twice as much as usual.
I disagree. Not all guests are "out to get us". And you don't know that they won't have a good time. But, if you treat them from the start like they are out to get you and are not going to have a good time, you'll deserve what you get.
It seems that the Innkeepers with the most guest problems are the ones that are stiff and unbending. Not speaking of anyone in particular, just a general observation.
This is an opportunity to show what you are really made of as an Innkeeper.
"Not all guests are "out to get us"."
Well, these two and the daughter got off to a flyin' freakin' start in that department.
"And you don't know that they won't have a good time."
With all that has transpired already, the insults, threats, the refusal to abide by policy, etc.. I just don't see anything good coming out of it. Remember this is a cancellation that was to occur 24 hours from arrival to begin with and now looks like under very specious circumstances. What did they visit some magic healer the minute they knew some financial consequences were involved. They lied, were rude, threatening and blackmailing.
Just the kind of long term, repeat clientele I want to both reward and cultivate.
angry_smile.gif
(Tim's symbol for sarcasm.)
"But, if you treat them from the start like they are out to get you and are not going to have a good time, you'll deserve what you get."
Sorry, but they WERE treated as if they'd have a good time from the START. They instigated the tension and acrimony by their actions, NOT the innkeeper who spent hours trying to smooth it over. Look where that approach got them.
I'm not a very "woo woo" or new agey kind of person, but that kind of "energy" has no place in our home, even for one night.
Are you saying that being nice in this situation is the wrong way to go? I don't think being nice is ever the wrong way to go, especially when you already have their money and told them you would not refund it. Some of you may think differently, but excuse me for giving people the benefit of the doubt until they actually arrive and are given a chance to have a nice time.

wow!
deep breath .... are they checking in tomorrow or tonite? now that you've vented (and 'heard' all kinds of advice) i suggest you do your best to treat them as you would any guest checking in ... have them sign the register, give them the tour, give the complimentary whatever for an anniversary that is standard ... they are still your guests for the nite.
i would not bring up any of the phone discussion at all. if they do, then you agree with them that you have a firm cancellation policy and are sorry that rescheduling under your guidelines was not an option. and that you hope they enjoy their stay.
if it feels right to you, then upgrade them. go with whatever your instincts tell you. if you want to give them the deluxe treatment just to show how awesome your place is ~ then by all means do it. as long as it is your choice.
please consider that someone still not feeling well who comes to you under duress because of two other people involved in the situation (wife and daughter) may still be not feeling well. by the way, the husband who wasn't feeling well ~ is he the one who swore at you?
that right there is unacceptable and abusive. and i think i would have terminated the conversation.
likely the gift was mentioned and he said 'but i'm not feeling up to it ~ don't want to go ~ can't we cancel or reschedule?' and all hell broke loose. daughter frustrated because this lovely gift she planned is spoiled by dad not feeling well. mother frustrated because you have a policy in place. daughter jumping back in and heaping on the mad
do your best when they arrive to zero in on the one you might be able to please and interact with that one the most you can. someone chose your place for a reason and it's still the same wonderful place.
good luck. whatever our opinions on what you should do, they are all our own opinions based on our own experiences and personalities.
just remember, we are still all behind you in principle ~ that is what this forum is for!
and, yes, ((hugs))
let us know what happens ~ i am wondering now if they will show..
Zowie, as usuall SS comes in with the insight! Cannot recount how many times what could have been a lovely experience was spoiled by a husband who got a bug up his butt! And as a kid, how many things did not happen because something set Daddy off. After waiting a hour for the tour of the Mormon Chapel in Salt Lake City, some one accidently shut a car door on my brother's hand (truly an accident) and Daddy piled us all in the car and we left.
Perhaps HE did not want to come and was "sick" and then the $%^& hit the fan. I spent a day telling DH his body was giving him an "out" because he did not want to go back to Illinois for my cousin's daughter's wedding (he had pain in his back and ordered me to call the meat wagon because he thought he was having a heart attack - and he LIKES my family, especially that cousin). We were supposed to leave that morning! About 5 PM blood tests showed he DID havce a heart attack - nothing showed on the monitors. Thank you, SS, for adding a rethink to the whole thing.
I still would not upgrade.

wow!
and, yes, ((hugs))
let us know what happens ~ i am wondering now if they will show..
"...likely the gift was mentioned and he said 'but i'm not feeling up to it ~ don't want to go ~ can't we cancel or reschedule?' and all hell broke loose. daughter frustrated because this lovely gift she planned is spoiled by dad not feeling well. mother frustrated because you have a policy in place. daughter jumping back in and heaping on the mad"
SS has a very good point - not that there should have been any blasting out at the innkeeper but nevertheless this could have taken place..or something similar. This came to my mind as well while I was cleaning rooms. I recalled a couple that had received a GC from their daugher. They called and asked if they could cash in the GC as they did not want her to spend money on them. (Of course my GC policy stated right on the card says no cash refunds) I decided to not confront that issue unless necessary.. I went on to tell her how much her daugher must care about them because of the effort she made to make sure she chose the perfect gift. That worked and the reservation was made...
Hind sight is 20/20 they say but maybe the best course of action in the future is to do this type of reservation as a GC..This shows proof of purchase and the money would have changed hands at the time of purchase, not the date of check-in. NOW for me to remember this myself!

Actually, I think Farmer's Daughter is in between a rock and a hard spot. I got the impression from an earlier post on this forum that she is not the owner, and was given the directive to accept the guest and deal with it, so in terms of her sanity and her job, I don't think she has the choice to refuse them. That's what drove me to offer the advice that I did.
And yes, I agree... whether you are the owner or staff, you don't need to deal with someone who is rude and personally abusive after arrival. That's way over the line..
Very good point.
I guess that prompts one to think about the owner and just how far an employee's job description goes as far as dealing with disgruntled or hostile guests like this.
If I walk into a store and start berating the deli counter person, and while doing so cause great discomfort for the floor level worker, isn't the standard protocol that the store manager or if a small independent to match more closely this case, the owner be called and asked to step in?

Yes, but my very point was that they have NOT arrived yet. They may show up and act like nothing ever happened...if they show up and are as nasty as we're expecting, then she should not have to deal with them, or at least not alone.

Yes, but my very point was that they have NOT arrived yet. They may show up and act like nothing ever happened...if they show up and are as nasty as we're expecting, then she should not have to deal with them, or at least not alone..
We're probably nearing the kicking a dead horse point, but just because they haven't physically arrived yet, doesn't mean their attitudes, tone, demeanor and transgressions didn't occur. If all the trouble was coming only from the daughter and not also the actual two people coming for the stay, I'd be less inclined to keep going over this, but that isn't the case.
For some reason comparisons and analogies work for me when describing stuff or hoping to spur more ideas, so I hope you don't think I'm egging you on or purposely being antagonistic.
Maybe I'm not wrapping my head around this because frankly, after all that has transpired with all of them, I just can't picture myself as the guest being able to walk into this B&B and feel right knowing the kind of crap I, my wife and my daughter just hurled on this innkeeper.
Over $170?
I'm almost to the point of asking that we all take up a collection and send it to The Farmer's Daughter for her to give to her boss and be done with it, then go tell the guests that the house burned down over night and they needn't bother showing up.

Yes, but my very point was that they have NOT arrived yet. They may show up and act like nothing ever happened...if they show up and are as nasty as we're expecting, then she should not have to deal with them, or at least not alone..
We're probably nearing the kicking a dead horse point, but just because they haven't physically arrived yet, doesn't mean their attitudes, tone, demeanor and transgressions didn't occur. If all the trouble was coming only from the daughter and not also the actual two people coming for the stay, I'd be less inclined to keep going over this, but that isn't the case.
For some reason comparisons and analogies work for me when describing stuff or hoping to spur more ideas, so I hope you don't think I'm egging you on or purposely being antagonistic.
Maybe I'm not wrapping my head around this because frankly, after all that has transpired with all of them, I just can't picture myself as the guest being able to walk into this B&B and feel right knowing the kind of crap I, my wife and my daughter just hurled on this innkeeper.
Over $170?
I'm almost to the point of asking that we all take up a collection and send it to The Farmer's Daughter for her to give to her boss and be done with it, then go tell the guests that the house burned down over night and they needn't bother showing up.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Over $170?
That is a splendid and very generous idea, and I thank you all for your kindness and insight. It is not necessary, but appreciated. Thanks guys.
This couple is arriving tomorrow at 3pm. I will deal with these folks to the best of my ability. It was my suggestion to move them to another room because the room that the daughter chose is a corner room that has 2 things going against it.
#1) It face the street on one side (I'm the one with the road construction)
and
#2) It faces the neighbor with the drums on the other. (Ever wonder if the Universe is laughing at you? I have.)
I figured that moving them to the rear of the Inn would hopefully nip the potential 3rd problem of noise, in the bud. If they are squawking like wet hens before they even arrive, the noise factor will not help the situation.
I will let you know how it goes....(fingers crossed)

Over $170?
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Over $170?
That is a splendid and very generous idea, and I thank you all for your kindness and insight. It is not necessary, but appreciated. Thanks guys.
This couple is arriving tomorrow at 3pm. I will deal with these folks to the best of my ability. It was my suggestion to move them to another room because the room that the daughter chose is a corner room that has 2 things going against it.
and
#2) It faces the neighbor with the drums on the other. (Ever wonder if the Universe is laughing at you? I have.)
I figured that moving them to the rear of the Inn would hopefully nip the potential 3rd problem of noise, in the bud. If they are squawking like wet hens before they even arrive, the noise factor will not help the situation.
(fingers crossed)
And toes - just for extra precaution!!! Good luck!

I would have refunded their money from the beginning. It is rare that someone cancels. I would rather refund someone's money and take my chances at re-renting the room....than keeping a person's money. Keeping someone's money when they cannot come will always end up with the person feeling negative about your business. They will tell 10 people....so now you have a problem. This is a newcomer's humble opinion. Bed and Breakfast Inns operate more one on one, personal, intimate, more empathetic, more caring. We are not large operations. How many rooms do you rent? I only have two rooms to rent, so if someone cancels...it is 50% of my business! I still stand by my opinion on the subject. I am an innkeeper by choice. I own this property, it is my home. I choose to share this special place on the planet with others. I believe we attract that which we "put out". Put out love and understanding and it will come back 100 fold.

I think any situation could be made into a positive...if you're up to the task..
Little Blue said:
I think any situation could be made into a positive...if you're up to the task.
I have already decided to upgrade them from the room that the daughter chose to a luxury suite with a jacuzzi. With this they will get a complimentary bottle of wine and a 3 course gourmet breakfast by candlelight served on fine china and crystal in our formal dining room the next morning. That is quite a deal for a $155 room (less taxes). I hope this doesn't turn around to bite me in the butt. I think they have already decided to have a lousy time, because they are 'forced to be here against their will.'
The Farmers Daughter said:
Sorry I would not do that. You are rewarding bad behavior so now they will repeat this on their next B&B.
I would however, try and kill them with kindness.
RIki
egoodell said:
The Farmers Daughter said:
Sorry I would not do that. You are rewarding bad behavior so now they will repeat this on their next B&B.
I would however, try and kill them with kindness.
RIki
I agree, kill them with kindness...I do that.
had a not so happy guest today, was soooo kind to them, they actually turned around and showed a nicer side :)
Good luck..

Over $170?
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Over $170?
and
The reason for moving them NOW makes sense. Had I known about the room location (street/drums) I would have agreed with your move wholeheartedly.

Over $170?
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Over $170?
and
Makes sense on the upgrade but other than that, I would treat them as you would any other guests who are there for a special occasion. While I believe in killing people with kindness, it's never good to reward really bad behavior.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

I would have refunded their money from the beginning. It is rare that someone cancels. I would rather refund someone's money and take my chances at re-renting the room....than keeping a person's money. Keeping someone's money when they cannot come will always end up with the person feeling negative about your business. They will tell 10 people....so now you have a problem. This is a newcomer's humble opinion. Bed and Breakfast Inns operate more one on one, personal, intimate, more empathetic, more caring. We are not large operations. How many rooms do you rent? I only have two rooms to rent, so if someone cancels...it is 50% of my business! I still stand by my opinion on the subject. I am an innkeeper by choice. I own this property, it is my home. I choose to share this special place on the planet with others. I believe we attract that which we "put out". Put out love and understanding and it will come back 100 fold..
hiddencove said:
I would have refunded their money from the beginning. It is rare that someone cancels. I would rather refund someone's money and take my chances at re-renting the room....than keeping a person's money. Keeping someone's money when they cannot come will always end up with the person feeling negative about your business. They will tell 10 people....so now you have a problem.
They were offered a lodging voucher so they could come at another time. They declined it.

Back